“One of the best address in Sitges”
Review of La Masia

La Masia
Reserve with
La Masia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #75 of 398 Restaurants in Sitges
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

It's always a pleasure to go to La Masia! The food is really tasty and local. The terrace is very nice. Yes you can ear the train ... But what matter when you are so good! Bravo La Masia we will be back soon!!!

1  Thank belgianbear

Reviewed January 13, 2014

I’ll start by acknowledging that I'm an American living in Germany, but my wife grew up in Sitges and she’s been enjoying meals at La Masia as long as she can remember. This is a family owned and operated restaurant, and my wife has known the family all of her life. It’s also the location of the first meal I ever ate in Spain back in 2007 and where my future father-in-law and I bonded over traditional Catalan garlic & tomato toast and where he tried to teach me to drink “Porron” – a sweet dessert wine – out of a glass bottle with a spout on the side that you use to pour the wine directly into your mouth (which he did perfectly and which I spilled all over myself). But those experiences have no bearing on this submission. It’s about the food and the food here is traditional, abundant, old-world Catalan and it’s just wonderful! Whether I'm home in Munich or on the road working in the States, I'm thinking about Sitges and La Masia.

Every meal starts with what I have come to call “The Magic Tree of Meat”. It’s a old petrified grape vine secured to a wooden base and adorned with a variety of fresh sausages, salamis and pepperonis hanging off of the branches like a glorious edible Christmas tree, along with a knife for cutting slices of the meats to your hearts content. The tree arrives at your table along with the menus, so as you are considering what to order, you are already enjoying wonderful local flavors. Appetizers and soups are bountiful, but be careful, because the main courses are substantial and it’s easy to fill up on the meats and olive and bread offerings long before your appetizer or main course arrives.

My wife introduced me to a traditional appetizer soup called “escudella” (esk-oo-day-a) – basically it’s the stock made from all of the beef, chicken and pork trimmings from the dishes on the menu, along with beans, pasta and veggies. It’s the essence of comfort food – hot, flavorful, filling, and again, be careful -- it comes in a big crockery pot for self-serve at the table and it is a meal unto itself.

I’ve tried a number of different main courses at La Masia and enjoyed them all – the fish is fresh and grilled to perfection, the unique Catalan dishes are tasty and abundant, to include the beef, rabbit, and pork, and the sides and veggies are all flavorful and fresh. If there is one dish to recommend above the others and if you have only one opportunity to dine at La Masia, go for the “Pollo al Ajillo”, chicken baked in a garlic sauce. It is amazing and it’s more than enough for two people (it could easily feed three, but two people will not want to share it with a third). If you like garlic, this is the dish for you. I dream about this stuff...

I could write much more about the menu, substantial wine offerings, great desserts, the afore mentioned Perron wine and the fun of drinking it, the lovely traditional dining room and the friendly family staff, but instead I’ll address a couple of the nuances that make La Masia difficult for some guests. First, it is not in the center of the Sitges or near the beach. From the big old church next to the beach it’s a good 20-minute brisk walk, but it’s not a bad walk along the beach and then down a lovely quiet street with beautiful homes. If you have a car, it’s 2 minutes from the beach-front hotels. Either way, it’s worth it and the walk back after dinner is a good way to recover from so much wonderful food! Also, I know some folks who say that it’s a more expensive option than some of the beachfront or city-center cafés. Perhaps, but as noted above, an appetizer of soup easily feeds two and the Pollo al Ajillo could feed a small army, so enjoy the Magic Tree of Meat, share a traditional appetizer or soup and then check out the plates of food coming out of the kitchen for other guests. You’ll see and smell some amazing and huge dishes of food. Try something new or share the garlic chicken, and know that you’re having something authentic, delicious and worth the walk!

2  Thank EuroMM1
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We had our wedding celebration here. Atmosphere and quality of the food was excellent. We started with the salami tree with authentic Catalan bread and tomato followed by an exquisite selection of starters. After what felt like a continuous flow of dishes we then got to the main course. We had what looked like half a lamb! A beautifully cooked lamb shank that melted in the mouth.
All combined with excellent service, friendly staff and a great venue.
Months after all our friends still talk about how wonderful the food and venue was.
Thank you to La Masia for such a special day.
I have no hesitation to recommend this restaurant as a wedding venue or just to go for dinner one evening in the garden.

1  Thank Marisa R
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Since the 1st time we went there almost 3 years ago nothing changed: atmosphere is always very nice, service is excellent and people very friendly without speaking about the cuisine which offers, as always, the top of the flavours.

We go to Sitges one or two times a year and since couple of years we don't think about where to go for dinner because La Masia just gives us the best meals in town with a very nice wine list and, on top, the friendliness of the owner and his staff and the top cook who each time surprises us.... We therefore go there daily and have never been disappointed.

Try it and you'll forget about the down town restaurants. Downtown is even much nicer after a very nice dinner at La Masia.

1  Thank GV32
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Been going here since I was a child.
Food a lot better recently, went through a decade long dip. Good value and great service.
BEST OF ALL: the wine. They do not promote it enough, but ask to see the cellar, and choose from 1000's of well stored aged Riojas etc. Last two times I have had an Imperial Gran Reserve 1976 for 38 euros!!! That is a ridiculous price and I assume it was bought decades ago therefore has a 100% margin. I have yet to have a badly corked bottle.
Go if you love aged Rioja alone.