“Great location, good facilities”

Sunway Playa Golf Hotel & Spa
Ranked #10 of 40 Hotels in Sitges
Reviewed July 19, 2012

This is our second stay here here in the past two years and the location is good being at the end of the long Promenade on the Sitges seafront. This can mean a long walk back from the town at night but the Hotel supply each guest with complementary Bicycles which only takes about 10 minutes to get to town and is really quite fun.

The staff have always been unfriendly here, and there is a lack of trust with guests when returning Pool Towels which must be exchanged for credit card style tokens which gets a little tiresome having to queue up at reception for them. Who would want to steal a second hand rather thin Beach Towel anyway?

We chose a third floor self catering Apartment with sea view which was a good size if not a little expensive (£1,380 when booked last minute for 7 nights)

Pizza Restarant is handily by the Pool but there lacks a Poolside Bar to get drinks, although there is A Supermarket in the basement.

Room Tip: High Floor with sea view
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Sunway Playa Golf Hotel & Spa

Reviewed July 18, 2012

First of all I have to admit, the clue is in the name...we went as a gay couple over Sitges Pride (7 nights in total), booked last minute and had little choice of accommodation. That said children were not the problem in our complex but rather loud mouthed, selfish, inconsiderate, dog-obsessed, elderly Spaniards who clearly felt as their passports were in Castellano that they owned the place. They disregarded the very clearly stated rules regarding dogs and late night noise and finally only shut up (a little) after the reluctant intervention of Sunway staff (at first they advised me to call the local police...can you imagine? "Excuse me I'd like to report a bunch of noisy pensioners").

Suffices to say we would never stay here again, despite the value-for-money apartment. A good 10 minute walk into town which gets really boring after a while and the lack of towels (changing of) and cleaning during our stay was disappointing although not unexpected (thanks Tripadvisor).

Room Tip: Ask for a roof-top terrace, you may just get some peace.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Neil L
Reviewed July 13, 2012

This is a fine hotel and nice staff but my carry-luggage was stolen in the lobby as I checked-in. Passport, debit card and Ipad all taken. The hotel has security cameras that caught the theft but they would not share the video with me and did absolutely nothing about the theft occuring in their hotel. I went to the local police to make a report and they too were very nice but not overly interested in finding the criminals. Right after my bag was stolen, I contacted my bank and they informed me my debit card was used (attempted) within 30 minutes. Talking to other tourists in the area, petty crime aimed at visitors in Spain has increased greatly. Even the Spanish customs officials acknowledged as much when I produced my replacement passport. Advice: Don't let your belongings out of your sight and separate the important items...also, I used the old trick of xeroxing my passport and placing copys in other bags. This was invaluable to the American Consulate when replacing my passport. ($135). I've lived in Spain for 3 years and I've visited for the last 10 and the petty crime has never been this bad.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the golf course and Med have very bright sun in the afternoon making the balcony almost...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

Dear Sir,

We deeply regret that your carry-luggage was stolen. As you noticed, our cameras helped identify the theft, but we are not legally allowed to share those images with no one but the police, what of course we did. I appologize if you had the impression (because of that) that we did not want to do anything or were not taking care of the issue, which was obviously not the case.

We haven't noticed a significant increase of small robberies in our area in Sitges, although it has always been something to be careful with, as it usually is in the center of most towns and cities. As it happens in almost all areas with a significant number of visitors, it is advisable to always keep an eye on your belongings, as you said: although there is no violence involved at all, holidays could get a little bit spoiled by such an incident.

Again, I regret that you had to go thru this unlucky fact, and I hope that it does not change your willingness to come back to Sitges in the future.

Best regards,

Reviewed July 7, 2012

Don't get me wrong. No one can fault the sunway golf hotel when it comes to its location. It is stunning.

But in times of economic recession the staff need to step it up a gear because there enagegement and interaction with staff and guests was remiss to say the least.

The appartments are spacious, well equipped but not luxurious and as other reviewers have suggested certain fixtures and accessories urgently need an upgrade

Main points to note however. Ask for a room above the 2nd floor. After two stays on floor 4 being on the first floor for 16 nights means that the reservation manager probably made a decision on my behalf that means the Calipolis next time (I have stayed in both).

Also, the internet connection is prehistoric. It is beyond the pale, shocking! Nothing downloads. As a self employed person this was a major problem.

Also the cost of the bar. Exhorbitant. 2 ice creams out the Walls Fridge just under 8 euros. With children......come on !!!

This is an idyllic location and a great space but something important is missing and it starts with the impression you receive from the moment of check in. Do they really, really care?

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank robmarshall33
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Dear Mr. Marshall,

First of all, let me thank you for you review of our hotel and for the time you took to write it, so that it may be helpful for other people wanting to stay with us.

Regarding our staff, we are constantly working on trying to improve their already very high engagement with guests. As other guests say, I am glad to be able to tell that they are one of the main reasons to stay in our hotel (besides, as you mentioned, our privileged location). Unfortunately, though, from what you say, we have to realize that the possibility of an isolated mistake exists, so I really want to apologize for any inconvenience you may have found in this sense. I shall certainly follow up your case, so that we try even harder to the best of our abilities so that these issues don’t happen again. Of course, if you want to give us some more specific information on this, it will be highly appreciated, and it may help us even more than what you already did with your review.

With regards to the Internet connection, we have been having problems with our Telecom provider indeed. Since we cannot accept this situation, we are now urgently changing our Internet provider and the way our free wireless connections works, so that high-speed Internet connection is ensured in the coming days again. I hope that you notice these improvements if you kindly decide to stay again with us in your next visit to Sitges.

I must say that there is nothing else we care more than the satisfaction and the opinion of our guests. Thus, we do not only take notice of these opinions, but also try to take action, so that we are very quickly able to tyr to fix things that are maybe not working as they should. Anyway, I regret that we were not completely able to fulfill all your expectations this time, but look forward to gaining your confidence again in the future.

Best regards and thanks again,

Reviewed June 11, 2012

We enjoyed staying here last year so booked at the start of this year for 10 days. Disappointed we did not get a room as on the third floor as we had asked but the room allocated was even better than the one we had requested. Like last year we enjoyed our stay which was self catering.

The 2.7 km walk to the station (the centre of town) can be avoided by using one of the local buses at the cost of 2 euro per journey. For those watching the pennies get a zone one T10 ticket from the machine in the railway station. This is multi person and is for 10 trips and can be used on both train and bus. Not sure the extent of zone one but is valid on the train to Villanova the next station south. This ticket only costs 9.95 euro so less than half the price for ten journeys.

If your Spanish or Catalan is non existent look for the flag logo at the bottom of the touch screen and use it to change to a suitable language and away you go on the cheap.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nemo474
J Oskar S, Dep. Manager at Sunway Playa Golf Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

Dear Sir,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to write your review at Tripadvisor, and I'm glad that you enjoyed your time with us and in Sitges. We look forward to being able to welcome you at our hotel soon again!

Best regards from Sitges,

Reviewed May 23, 2012

This place was amazing - beautiful views, beautiful town and beautiful weather while we were there. My husband and I booked the sea room view for 3. We thought we'd get the usual partial view with the sea somewhere off in the distance. We were pleasantly surprised to find upon our arrival that we were very close to the beach and could hear the waves crashing while we sat out on our terrace and drank our wine.

The restaurant was excellent and I've shared some appetising photos I took of the sangria and paella!

We loved our bicycles that came with the room as they were handy when we cycled into town. We also loved Sitges itself - beautiful town with many beautiful houses - miles of paved promenade along the beaches to walk along and enjoy. We'll definitely be back as the town and this hotel were just amazing!

Room Tip: Get the sea view room for 3 even if there are only 2 of you. The view and space are worth it!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Probably the best value for money ever for a family of four during eastern holidays in April. Nice big room, extremely clean, beautiful view on the sea and palm trees, great sunny terrace for breakfast, bikes for free, mini market, 2 tv's, useful kitchen, friendly personnel, 20m from the sea on a perfect promenade, much quieter than the city center. Not really close to the center but perfect ride by bike, gives an extra touch. Nice beach with friendly beach bar just a couple of meters away. Only minor thing was the quality of the bed and sofa-bed, they could use an upgrade to make it perfect. And because of the marble floors, you can hear the chairs or stiletto's from one floor up. But these are really minor things compared to all the plus points, we loved it.

Room Tip: the sea view is absolutely worth it, having the sun from morning till evening on a large terrace, yo...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family