“Top-Shelf Tapas, Fun Atmosphere”
Review of el Cable

el Cable
Ranked #41 of 398 Restaurants in Sitges
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night
Description: El Cable is a Tapas Bar in Sitges. Our tapas are really tasty (our customers say that they are the best tapas in Sitges and around).Some of our tapas have the best reputation in town, such as, Patatas Bravas (french fries with a spicy sauce), squid roman style (fried rings) or our homemade ham croquettes, to name but afew. And we have been in this business for years:The Andreu family opened el Cable in 1940, in a different premises not far from where the bar is located now. In February of 1956 we opened el Cable where it is now. The whole building was built by members of the same family. In the beginning, the first floor was the family’s home and the upper floors were guestrooms (a hostel).In the sixties we lived through the northern tourism boom working as a bar and hostel.In the late sixties the bar was given to one of the family son´s: Sisco Andreu (Sisco del Cable) and the rest of the building stopped working as a hostel and was turned into apartments.In 2003 el Cable was passed onto Sisco’s Sons: Francesc and Manel, the families third generation in the business. From then on, el Cable has gone from strength to strength, it has been updated and modernised while still keeping the original style.Nowadays we are not only a little town’s bar: we are the bar of this town, a friendly local meeting point for many people in Sitges.
Reviewed August 16, 2014

I've now been to El Cable three times this summer, and in each case have enjoyed very much the tapas that we've ordered - in particular, the Somosas de Atun y Saquita de Carne, two inventive tapas that you'll not find elsewhere -- and that's a bit of the point here. All the regular tapas are available and are solid - Chiperones excellent! -- and also some special creations that hit it out of the ball park for me, so a nice change from what you're ordinarily see served up in a standard tapas bar.

In reading the other reviews it seems the bigger complaint is service -- and I think the overall tone of some them are off the mark. One in particular faults them for not letting them pull up stools and sit at the bar -- well, while you can sit at many tapas bars in Spain, that is NOT the layout here -- the waiters collect the tapas from over the bar and having anyone sit in front would interfere with their serving - simply odd to ding a restaurant because you don't like the way they physically set up their dining room and won't change it because you demand it.

It is small . . . and it is very popular - with locals and tourists, so yeah, it can be a bit of a wait in tourist season to snag a table; but there is relatively high turnover, you can nurse a beer in the street till you eye an opening. And it's a convivial, loud, fun atmosphere -- I think there have been 5 or 6 waiters/staff working 12-15 tables? More than enough -- but seated groups order tapas individually, start out with a few, add something here you like, order again something they really enjoyed - the nature of it is a bit chaotic (and fun) with multiple orders, so go with the flow and just flag down the waiter, they scurried about collecting orders and we were served promptly after placing each order. Maybe these other reviewers sat like stumps on a log waiting to be fawned over or something - not that kind of place.

A little off the main tourist drag in center Sitges, but only a short walk and easy to find. Does seem more popular with locals.

2  Thank JohnnyRockit

Reviewed May 26, 2014

Brilliant atmosphere, great Tapas. If you want authentic tapas surrounded by friendly, local people this is the place for you. The staff are great and the food is excellent. Opens at 7pm in the evening at the moment, not sure about the high season.

1  Thank OxfordBognorBoy
Reviewed April 28, 2014

What if I tell you that they prepare the best chicken curry in town? And I've tried so many... but the finest (although not spicy) is served there.
What if I tell you that its "calamars a la romana" are among the best, at the same level than some of the finest Sitges fish restaurants!
El Cable bar also designs beautiful creations for the annual Tapas competition. This year, its "relaxing cup" has been awarded The Best Tapa in Sitges again. I strongly recommend you that you try this surprising piece of culinary art.
Price is not expensive at all, service is ok (try to avoid busy days such as Friday night or Saturday, waiting time can be a bit high...
In conclusion, I suggest you should neither live in Sitges nor leave this beautiful town missing this place!

2  Thank TheEmptyQuarter
Reviewed April 28, 2014

the restaurant is a bit hidden, just ask for it, it is well known. When we were there, there were only Spanish people, which I like a lot and shows a great choice of restaurant. The tapas bar is not fancy but very cozy and really good! Good variety of fresh made tapas.

1  Thank Diana P
Reviewed March 8, 2014

El Cable, an ancient Sitges tavern with local people and tradition, has won several awards being the most important "Catalunya Best Tapa 2013". Indeed, it is a truly gastronomical experience: they serve excellent classical tapas such as calamars a la romana, patates braves or its amazing batter-breading artichokes and aubergines, as well as wonderful new creations like the awarded ones. The thing is every time I go to El Cable just for a tapa or its magnificent home-made Vermouth before going somewhere else I wonder why I just came for a tapa and not for a whole tapas party. I always leave the place with the feeling I should stay there and cancel the rest… They have well captured both the essence of Sitges and Catalan most famous tapas. If I had to compare this place, I would say they are as good as Tapas 24 of Carles Abellan (ex-Bulli).

1  Thank TheEmptyQuarter