“Loved the Galeon”

Ranked #2 of 40 Hotels in Sitges
Lancashire
“Loved the Galeon”
Reviewed August 5, 2007

" Stayed at the Hotel Galeon in Aug 2007. It was the first time I stayed All Inclusive and was a bit dubious but I needn't have been. The food was lovely, something for everyone, seafood, paella, pasta, lots of salad's and always a vegetarian choice. Yes there were chips but you don't have to have them and kids love them. Entertainment was a good standard, staff nice and all spoke various languages. My friend left her white linen blouse on the bed which was accidently taken away with the sheets. The hotel receptionist tracked it down and returned it and couldn't have been more helpful. The hotel was spotless, clean towels everyday and clean bed linen when necessary. Good mix of English, French and German guests. Will be going again next year. 8/10.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank betsy63

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Milton Keynes
Reviewed July 21, 2007

Excellent value for money hotel, at the price we thought it was room only, then found out it was B&B - and very nice at that, very friendly staff, hotel is in the perfect location Fabio at the bar is really helpful, and makes a mean cockail to!! The hotel is only a few
minutes walk to the train station, and just round the corner from the
main bus to tha airport, close to the beach and shops to. would definetly stay here again,

• Liked — Everything overall was fantastic
  • Disliked — Pool is a little quiet for my liking, would be nice to have a pool bar
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jasonward070477
uk
Reviewed July 17, 2007

Me & my fiancee went - for the money cant go wrong. clean rooms , polite staff , big breakfasts and excellent location. . Imagine going to central london and getting a room for this price?!

would definately recommend it if you just need a base and somewhere to sleep.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — pool area
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank zacUk
London
Reviewed July 10, 2007

Very convenient for the station (3mins) and the beach (5mins). The pool was clean and quiet, the rooms very comfortable with air con. Breakfast was good too, I'd reccomend this place as a very good option.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank GaryFB
Cardiff
Reviewed July 4, 2007

Sitges, Spain, Galeon Pavilion Hotel:
Having endured a hair-raising, 100 mile trip from Reus airport in a taxi, my heart sank when we arrived in Sitges and saw the tacky yellow sign for the Galeon Pavilion. This can't be it we thought , regarding the streetside entrance to what looked like a cheaper-end 'hostal'; but no, we were not mistaken. My wife and I should have smelled a rat when the receptionist could at first find no record of our booking and when he did, claimed we had booked for a week not a fortnight.
Our room, which was dimly lit and austere, (reflecting the general atmosphere of the hotel), overlooked the much endorsed courtyard and pool area, which incidentally is kept in shade for most of the day by large trees. We didn't really spend much time on our veranda due to the fact that a middle aged couple in the room next door were fond of blasting out the likes of Perry Como and Neil Sedaka late into the night.
In our eagerness to find an inexpensive hotel with a central location, we had somehow overlooked the paragraph in the Going Places brochure which described the hotel decor as from a bygone era. This should be read as 'the hotel is full of dark, sombre furniture of the kind your grandparents kept for years because it was too heavy to move'. The Galeon has a generally depressing atmosphere, not least because the staff is as dour as the decor.
We have since read reviews of the Galeon Pavilion on Trip Advisor which describe the food as terrible, but as we only booked for bed and breakfast, we were spared the dinner experience. The breakfasts were not the worst I've had by any means and in fact there was some variety but the dining room was reminiscent of those in jaded guesthouses in, let's say Bournemouth or Skegness.
All of this, we could have put up with, as we only wanted to use the hotel as a base to explore the area, but when personal tragedy struck, the true horror of this place was revealled.
Five days into the holiday, we recieved a message from home telling us my father was seriously ill in hospital . Naturally we needed to get an emergency flight home as quickly as possible, but when I tried to find our rep, I discovered that Going Places did not have a representative at the hotel (as they claimed to have) or even in Sitges and the nearest rep was based at the distant Reus airport. Not only that, but there wasn't even any literature relating to Going Places at the hotel and we had to resort to contacting Thompson who were actually quite helpful. We spent a sleepless night making and waiting for phone calls and at one point had to ask the hotel receptionist for assistance in speaking to a Spanish directory enquiries service. We told him it was an emergency situation and that we needed to contact a hospital in the UK. He reluctantly agreed to help but grumbled constantly that he should be working. Later, when we had to send a fax to our insurance company, we discovered that the Galeon Pavilion does not have a fax machine and my wife had to run several blocks to the Hotel Montserrat to use one there.
Eventually we were able to book a flight from Barcelona airport, so I asked the hotel receptionist to book us a taxi for 11-AM.
he said he would do this so I brought our luggage to the foyer.
At 11-05, I enquired again about the taxi, only to be told that he had tried to call one several hours ago but there were no taxis available. He had not bothered to tell us this, even though he could see us waiting near his desk. I told him to call again which he reluctantly did but to no avail. I asked about trains but he was unable to help. At this time, we noticed we were being watched closely by a porter and I realised that this was because we had not yet paid our phone bill for the emergency calls. The receptionist made out the bill for 72.62 Euros very, very slowly and I gave him 70 Euros which was the only money I had on me. We then told him we had to leave immediately because we had to get to Barcelona for our flight.
We then struggled with our bags through the crowded street where a procession was taking place and were surprised to find the receptionist running behind us. We stopped and he demanded the 2.62 Euro deficit on the phone bill. We had to fumble and search through bags for several minutes to find enough change and almost threw it at him. On arriving at the train station we were surprised to see several taxis waiting for fares. The hotel receptionist obviously didn't try very hard to find one.
Luckily we made our flight and I did manage to see my father while he was still alive, though he died a week later. Nevertheless I will never forget how the incompetent and insensitive staff at the Galeon Pavilion delayed us in our attempts to leave the hotel and get home quickly.
Please do not spoil your holiday by staying at the Galeon Pavilion.
It is shoddy in every sense of the word.

Stayed September 2006
5 Thank fatheroblivion
Great Dunmow, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2007

My wife and I had booked for the El Cid, but like so many other people found our booking upgraded to the Galeon (not enough bookings to fill 2 hotels in the same group). It is very well placed for the railway (5 mins), and just 10 mins (not 5 as they claim) from several beaches. The town is between the hotel and the main beaches. Lots of places to eat and drink, several small supermarkets.
We were put in the Galeon Pavilion (across the road from the back of the main hotel). Both parts of the hotel sufer this spring from building work, but if you don't mind being wokn at 8am, it's OK.
Breakfast is a good selection of mainly cold food - but plenty of it means you can save money on wanting too much at lunchtime.
BUT - the pool area is very strange. It's not offically open until 11am. The pool is also a jakuzi (and is small for a hotel pool). Thie biggest drawbacks are two - half of the pool area gets sun for just a few hours in the late afternoon - and the water is FREEZING. No heating and no sun means you'll freeze your rocks off.

• Liked — good position
  • Disliked — pool area
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank stevetupper
London UK
Reviewed April 30, 2007

Another stay, our sixth, at the Galeon in our favourite place, Sitges.

Reading other reviews here it is fair to say that the Galeon is not the most modern or up to date hotel, not is it the most atmospheric. However, we always stay there for a number of reasons:~

* It is very clean - you can almost taste the bleach!!
* It's proximity to the the great shops, restaurants, bars and beaches of Sitges is great
* The pool and jacuzzi area at the rear of the hotel is great and a real suntrap
* The breakfast is superb, lots of fresh fruit, fresh bread, a great buffet
* It is really reasonably priced in comparison with some other hotels in Sitges

I cannot recommend the Galeon highly enough. It has become a real favourite for my partner and I.

If you want 5* do not stay here. However, it you want value for money and somewhere comfortable and reliable to return to do after your day on the beach it is well worth it.

• Liked — Consistently good, always very clean
  • Disliked — Can be noisy in some of the rooms facing the front of the street
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple