1,016 results
All reviewsone starair conpastriestrain stationceiling fanpool arearooms are basictill middaydouble glazingbreakfast roomhot foodcentral locationcleaned dailyreception staff aresmall balconynice poolshort walk to the beach
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I chose this hotel solely based on the trip advisor reviews. I know that Spanish hotels have a weird system where perfectly respectable hotels have only one star because the lack of, parking or of a restaurant or in-room telephones (all true of El Cid), so this didn't bother me at all.

Most of the things the other reviewers said are completely true. The hotel is well situated in central Sitges, near the railway station, restaurants and nightlife and the beach.
The staff were very friendly and usually quite helpful. The young guy who works in the breakfast buffet, which is of a good overall standard, is particularly friendly, smiley and welcoming.

My problem as a solo traveller came from the room – perhaps other rooms in the hotel don’t have the problems I encountered. Room 102 is quite small, but for the low price I paid I can accept that, as well as the hideously outdated furniture. It was clean, with a bathroom and TV. My only problem however was a big one – lying in bed felt like being on the floor of the bathroom next door, the wall is so thin. I could hear everything and when the people showered I honestly expected to get out of bed wet!

The other noise problem came from a continuous background noise of music. The first night I assumed that there must be a bar nearby, but I soon realised that this was the music playing in the reception of the hotel. All night!

The furniture can be bad; you don’t choose a hotel for the furniture. The room can be small; you spend most of your time out. But if you can’t sleep, then I’m sorry, the hotel isn’t doing what you are paying it to do, provide a bed for the night and some decent shut eye. So I was very disappointed that, for once, Trip Advisor and its reviewers let me down badly. But I do now know the word for earplugs in Spanish as I had to buy some (tapones para los oidos).

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank williamdfr
GerenciaSitges, Gerente at Hotel El Cid, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

What a bad luck we have had, because the most important improvement done this year at the hotel was the soundproofing of rooms, and due your comment it seems we did not make a good job. I really appreciate your opinión and indeed you have also mentioned the good things that the hotel have.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

Great budget hotel, but delivers more!
Friendly, helpful multilingual staff. Rooms clean and spacious as always. Comfy beds. Fridge in room (pool view rooms).
Great location, very central, 5 mins walk to the beach.
Breakfast good.
It's very cheap in price but not in quality. The reason it has a one star rating is because there are no phones in the rooms. But with free wifi throughout, you can communicate with your smartphone.
Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: It's worth paying the little extra for a pool view room. They are bigger and have a fridge.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sandrobear
GerenciaSitges, Gerente at Hotel El Cid, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

Thank you for your lovely review and for taking the time to post it on Tripadvisor.
Take care and we hope to see you next time you’re in Sitges.

Reviewed April 30, 2014

My friends and I always enjoy staying at EL CID, year after year. We always try and reserve the superior pool view rooms. These rooms were upgraded with new beds and fridges in 2013 and this really made a difference. The hotel introduced a hot breakfast for 2013 and I told Tony that offering fried pancetta instead of proper smoked bacon, ready-made scrambled eggs and anorexic sausages didn't really do it for me. A request for proper bacon, sausages, baked beans, real scrambled eggs (not reconstituted), grilled mushrooms and grilled tomatoes for 2014? Both the juice and coffee machines could do with an upgrade for 2014. I would also suggest that housekeeping staff water the flowers on the balcony when they clean the rooms. This would ensure that they last until September and October. Can't wait to return with friends in September 2014 !

Room Tip: Superior pool view rooms
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Londoncub77
GerenciaSitges, Gerente at Hotel El Cid, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review for us, it's really appreciated.
We're very flattered that you ' highly recommended ' us, thank you. We seem to have really terrific people stay here and you are no exception! Kind regards.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

I can't believe this hotel only rates one star. Good position on the edge of the old town, lots of character. Nice clean comfortable room with air con, a fantastic breakfast buffet and friendly staff. I loved my stay and would thoroughly recommend the El Cid. No parking is a problem, but this is a common problem in Sitges old town. I was travelling by motorbike which I chained to a tree right by the night porter, so fealt safe.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank shan20
GerenciaSitges, Gerente at Hotel El Cid, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, it is greatly appreciated.
We're also pleased that your holiday in our beautiful country went so well and we were happy to be able to contribute to that.
Thank you for your company and we would love to see you return sometime.

Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

El Cid is within easy walking distance or bars, restaurants and supermarkets. Never had any issues with noise. Rooms were clean and breakfast was a good set up for the day. Rooms are small, but I didn't spend a huge amount of time in there other than sleeping.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank KieranM_79
GerenciaSitges, Gerente at Hotel El Cid, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Thank you for posting a review, it's really appreciated.
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us