“Fantastic hotel”

Hotel El Cid
Ranked #4 of 38 Hotels in Sitges
“Fantastic hotel”
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at el CID mid June this years changes to the hotel with the reception being moved means there was always some one to serve at bar the rooms over the pool all now have fridges and huge beds like the ones in gallion with the air conditioning and the the walkin power showers the hotel had come a long way and all helped to make our stay fantastic as normal the whole place is looked after by the amazing tony nothing is a problem and after 12 years of going to el CID the place just wouldn't be the same with out him thank u tony for making the holiday perfect and to all your staff see you end of September Martin and Derek

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Martinjohn165
GerenciaSitges, Gerente at Hotel El Cid, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
What a lovely review, thank you so much for your thoughts. We're very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We will keep on working hard to ensure we are delivering the very best, we're proud of what we do. Hope we can welcome you back a next time!
Best wishes,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I loved this hotel! It's main benefit is the location. Less than 10 mins from the train station and the beach and less than 5 mins to the town centre. Despite this we had no traffic or bar noise in our hotel so was a great to use as a base. The staff were incredibly helpful with good english - we arrived a bit early and they held our bags and asked if we wanted to freshen up or have a shower (they have a locked storage room that they hold bags in, and another small room you can take a shower in). The room itself was pretty basic but come on people, this is a one star hotel! It had clean comfortable beds, a clean bathroom, free air-conditioning and a large balcony - everything you need as we were never planning to spend much time in the room when not sleeping. The breakfast was a much higher standard and wider variety than I expected, and best of all it was served until midday! Perfect for a lie-in after a late night. There is free wi-fi in the reception area and lots of sofas and chairs to sit in while you're online. The pool was good but as the hotel is so close to the beach we only visited it once. This is the perfect hotel for a no-frills central location, I loved it and would definitely recommend it!

Room Tip: Go for a room with a balcony
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
GerenciaSitges, Gerente at Hotel El Cid, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, it is greatly appreciated.
We're also pleased that your holiday in our beautiful country went so well and we were happy to be able to contribute to that.
Thank you for your company and we would love to see you return sometime.
Tynemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I have just come back from my first visit to Sitges. I was looking for somewhere cheap but not nasty. I decided to go for the El Cid as it gets great reviews on here and seemed ideal for me as I was visiting alone. I arrived by using the Mon Bus which drops you off just down the road. If you take the train, the station is also very close by. The staff were pleasant and took me through everything I needed to know.

My room was nice, I had opted for a double with a balcony. I was facing the main street but three floors up so there wasn't really any problems with noise. Anyway the double glazing drowned out any noise that might have irritated me. I have to be honest I'm not the type to usually make it for breakfast with being out late on holidays. I did try the breakfast once and there is a big selection of cereals, meats, breads, fruit, coffee and tea etc. Breakfast is served until 12pm which is convenient.

I thought it was a nice touch that when the room was cleaned the air con was put on and the curtains were closed to ensure the room was nice and cool for my return. Clean towels were provided and other amenities. My only small downfall which is just my opinion is that there is no Wi-Fi in the rooms. It is available in the communal areas downstairs. It's not too much of a problem as plenty of bars and restaurants offer it and/or you can just go downstairs to use it. It's just those times you can't be bothered. Then again it's a good value hotel so you may expect to not get little extras like this.

Overall I found the hotel good value, clean, friendly and is within throwing distance of all the shops, restaurants and bars. The beach is literally a couple of minutes walk away. Like many others I am not sure why the El Cid is only one star? Maybe it keeps the prices down so that's a good thing. I would stay here again and will recommend the El Cid to friends.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your wonderful review and for taking the time to post it, it's very much appreciated!
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay in Sitges.
Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

I have had many friends stay here and had always been on their rooms. I would normally stay in the galleon but we though wed try here for a change. Considering we booked this hotel last August 2012 we ended up in what had to be the worst room ever. There was a ver small wardrobe which wasn't sufficient enough for two people so we had to keep most of our stuff in out cases there just wasn't room for anything.when we opened our windows we wer lookin Down onto a very small what the guy at reception called a patio which if u did go out to it you couldn't have swung a cat it was so depressing that we Neva went to the room only to get changed and sleep because it got us down and fed up. The bathroom well only was I can explain its is if u wer sittin on the toilet u could wash ur hands in the sink at the same time and also wash ur feet in the shower that's how small and uncomfortable it's was. This room should be rented out for single occupancy definetly not double or triple for that matter.the breakfast was great so was the wifi and the pool and the staff it was just that room so people just be careful that u don't end up in one of these rooms like we did. We didn't complain cause the fact we were only stayin for a few days but if it hadve been longer we definetly would have.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your candid comments in regards to your stay. I am somewhat dis heartened to hear of your surprise at the negative points. We regret so much that our hotel didn´t be able to get your expectations.
Nottingham
Reviewed July 12, 2013

As usual another perfect stay at El Cid...
The staff are always helpful, pleasant and approachable.
Accomodation cannot be faulted and I look forward to another stay at this unique, homely and highly recommended premises.

I am always so sad to leave!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
We wish you could have stayed longer too! We're very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your kind remarks. All the very best.
Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We've stayed at the El Cid many times over the years and we keep returning. Each time we stay we always see improvements on the previous year. It may only be a 1 star hotel, but don't be fooled, it will exceed your expectations. We have stayed in other hotels in Sitges (when the El Cid has been fully booked) and always been disappointed in comparison.

For a budget price you get so much more. We stayed in a superior pool view room with balcony which had a massive comfy bed with new linen, new clean towels replaced daily, a hot powerful shower, a flatscreen tv, a fridge, air conditioning and daily cleaning.

Tony and the rest of the staff are really friendly, always happy to help to make your stay pleasant. Some familiar faces behind the front desk and with some new ones this year, the team are always interested in hearing your feedback. It's great to see that they take suggestions on board and constantly make changes.

Location is fantastic, a few minutes walk to train, bus, beach, bars and restaurants. It really is central.

Breakfast buffet is included between 8 to 12, perfect after a late night out. Even better choice this year with hot items.

Free wifi is included in the reception area, but it looks like they are about to roll it out to cover the whole of the hotel to use in the rooms. I should also mention you can pay a small €15 refundable deposit for the use of a beach towel which they are happy to replace with fresh ones when needed.

The only downside to the hotel is that it can be very popular during high season and therefore difficult to book if not done well in advance. This can only be a good sign that it's so in demand, which is also confirmed by seeing a lot of familiar guest faces returning year on year.

We can't wait to go back again later this year!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris K
GerenciaSitges, Gerente at Hotel El Cid, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing this delightful review of your recent stay with us. We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the accommodations and level of service here during your visit. We hope to welcome you back one day.
london
Reviewed July 9, 2013

El cid is going through some changes for the better I hope, New WiFi will be there by the next time we book again. They have increased the time of the breakfast to noon ,Which is great for the late revelers. Rooms were cleaned adequately everyday. Poolside is great. I brought a group here this time and I will be doing that in the future, the manager Antonio is most gracious and very attentive to customer needs, we needed more lounges at the pool and they were there in 5 days. Thank you for making our stay so special

Room Tip: book direct to get the choice of rooms, street side rooms are little noisy but great for people watc...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
GerenciaSitges, Gerente at Hotel El Cid, responded to this review, July 10, 2013