“Good choice in Sitges....need to sort the small things”
Review of Hotel MIM Sitges

Hotel MIM Sitges
Ranked #8 of 40 Hotels in Sitges
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Got a great welcome on arrival and thoroughly enjoyed our stay here.

The room was nice, modern & clean but lacked some of the little touches: no tissues, no where to hang towels next to the shower, tiny bad quality toiletries that were not enough for 2 people, not enough coat hangers and no bin in the bathroom - all only small things but easy to fix. Also the shower leaked in to the toilet which was a little annoying. The bed was really comfortable.

The spa was great and extremely relaxing. Well worth the €17.50 for 90 minutes and I would highly recommend taking the time to give it a try.

Service on the fantastic roof terrace was excellent and the cocktails were very good. Other reviewers have mentioned that it was expensive but I am inclined to disagree. Yes, its more expensive than the bars in Sitges centre but certainly not expensive for a good 4 star hotel with great views.

Location was perfect.

All in all, there are a few things that could be improved in the room but I would definitely return.

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Gemma G, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel MIM Sitges, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

We appreciate the comments received and we will share them with the rest of the team to continue to offer the best service.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

The stay in this hotel is a mixed bag.The first impression is wow. Brand new, unconventional design, a good location (100m from the beach but no sea view from most rooms), comfortable beds.
The great view from the roof terrace has been praised in several reports.

The deluxe room we stayed in alomst half of the floor space is consumed by the bath room (which actually looks like the show room of designer equipment) - but be prepared for waiting for several minutes for the water reach temperatures to make taking a shower pleasant. I would have been willing to change the ratio a bit. Design governs to an extent that there is a single hook for towels, just a tiny shelf, for opertating the safe you must sit on the floor and bend down and the cabinet does not provide enough room for a single small suitcase.

The room is equipped with a perfect air conditioning system - but at the expense that the windows do not open at all. An artificial scent fills the rooms and (even more) the lobby.

Be prepared for lots of fake wood and cheap materials that pretend to be expensive. Plastic flowers in the lobby and on the tables in the restaurant, "baroque" mirror frames with screen printed structure.

According to the website the hotel has a nice Sauna. However, do not expect to get free access. All you get is a 50% discount for the 90 minutes ticket to the sauna, steam room and hot tub (which then reduces the price from 35€ to 17.50€). Needless to say: I did not try.

The roof terrace is great. It turns into a bar and restaurant in the evening. Downside: you cannot go there and watch the sunset without at least buying an (expensive) drink.

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms are not spacious (I assume the superior rooms are even less).
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Christof S
Gemma G, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel MIM Sitges, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing the Avenida Sofia Hotel & Spa. We regret that your stay did not fully meet your expectations. Please, accept our most sincere apologies and allow us to follow up on your comments directly with our team.

We deeply appreciate your comments, they make us aware of aspects we must improve and we thank you for this useful opportunity. It helps us to continue improving and provide the best service so we can offer a memorable experience to our guests. We will take action regarding your comments. Please give us another opportunity to demonstrate our service improvement.

Thanks again for your trust and we hope to welcome you back.

The team from the Avenida Sofia Hotel & Spa.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

I ended up at this hotel because my friends wanted to stay here to celebrate a birthday party. the hotel is very nice, modern and clean. the beach is walking distance and is well located to everything.
the spa is very nice as well.

Room Tip: higher floors and with a view to the street.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Gemma G, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel MIM Sitges, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

We thank you for the confidence you have placed in the Avenida Sofia Hotel & Spa and we are pleased to know your stay has fulfilled all your expectations. Your comments make us aware of aspects we must improve and we thank you for this useful opportunity.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed here in July 2013 for a week and were upgraded to a beautiful room. The hotel itself is beautifully modern and the staff friendly and approachable. However, when we arrived home and opened our credit card statement, we found that the hotel had made an additional charge, in pounds sterling, to our card. I emailed and asked what it was for. After chasing them again, I eventually got a reply 10 days later telling me it was for a two night booking in a room near ours during our stay. I responded to say that this was a mistake and demanded a refund. A different member of staff then responded the same day admitting the mistake and assuring me the refund would be made. However, I had to chase for another 21 days before the refund was made and then it amounted to around £33 less than they had mistakenly charged in the first place, presumably because of the exchange rate and fees. I alerted them to this but, 16 days later, I have not received the balance. I have filed a formal complaint with my travel agent and my credit card company.

I don't know whether this situation has arisen out of a lack of staff training, inadequate systems or anything else, but we won't be staying there again. As is usual in cases like this, any good impressions we had about this hotel (and we had lots) have been completely ruined by this experience. Shame, because the hotel is lovely.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
José Miguel T, Manager at Hotel MIM Sitges, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Dear Guest,
I'm very sorry for what you mention you experienced in our hotel few months ago. Things are changing in the hotel and fortunately these incidents do not happen.
Hope you give us the chance to prove to you what I just wrote the next time you come to town. Best regards from Sitges

Reviewed September 19, 2013

If you want to organize some event on that hotel, please, don’t be attract only for the furniture it have (lovely furniture) but also for the not professional director of Events & Sales. Stressful business woman that will not achieve your expectation or change the details of your contract in any moment she wants. After calling her more than 10 times in 3 days and sending a lot of mails without answer, had to go personally to the hotel to be attended for my event.
Helpfully, there are thousands of other options in Sitges to organize your event, please try the other options!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MMVidilla

Dear Guest,
I'm very sorry for what you mention you experienced in our hotel few months ago. Things are changing in the hotel and fortunately these delays do not exist any more.
Hope you give us the chance to prove you what I just said. Best regards from Sitges

Reviewed September 17, 2013

we joined friends on the roof terrace for drinks here and were impressed by the stunning views over Sitges.As pointed out the Callipolis spoils the sea view but as the sun set it really didn't matter.The pool is beautiful and dangerously open(in England there would be a barrier around it and signs everywhere about taking care but that's the Spanish way) service was slow but helpful.We were so impressed we returned on the Saturday to find it taken over by a wedding so no service as other people have noted.We had a look at the room of our friend and it was very neat and minimalist but the bed was comfortable.We wont be giving up the Platja D'or but I would recommend a visit if only for a drink.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rossngreg
José Miguel T, Manager at Hotel MIM Sitges, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear Guest,
I'm very sorry. I have read your comment made few months ago and I can only apologize for the impression we caused to you.Best regards from Sitges

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Having stayed in several hotels in Sitges both as a paying guest and a late night visitor, I believe this is by far superior to the rest.
Okay its more expensive but when you compare it to other hotels in Sitges, there is no real comparison.
The foyer is well above average in appearance. It is bright, there is plenty of seating area and immaculately clean.
At check in and throughout my stay, all the staff were helpful, polite and attentive.
I had a room at the side of the hotel. I would describe it as free flowing/open plan, tastefully decorated, modern and clean. The bathroom houses a walk in shower, separate toilet and twin wash basins. The toilet door could do with a more sound proof door being installed. I am sure very few people want to hear toilet noises regardless of how avant-guard one is. However the beds are extremely comfortable, whether you are on top of them or between the sheets. The aircon is extremely quiet albeit a little difficult to use.
At breakfast you can sit in or outside.The selection is a huge and good quality. Choose from eggs and bacon, hams, cheeses, cereal, fresh fruit, plenty of various breads and jams, decent coffee and tea.
I ate in the downstairs restaurant twice, both times no complaints, service good, food well presented, good quality and value, nice surroundings.

On the roof is the Sky Bar with small pool, bar and restaurant. A thick glass wall surrounds the perimeter allowing the sights to be almost panoramic. The Calipolis Hotel get in the way of a truly spectacular sea view. You can sit during the day, eating, drinking or just taking in the sun. At night it becomes very popular to both resident and non residents. Annoyingly the sky bar on both saturday nights i stayed there were unavailable from 6 in the evening onwards, because wedding receptions were booked. Found this totally unacceptable and let reception know how i felt. Later that evening reception phoned to say they would waive my 6 o'clock late check-out fee, i guess a small gesture of good will.
I did't use the gym or spa area.

The only thing that i found annoying was the sky bar being closed to residents on the Saturday nights. Although this will not put me off booking here again. My opinion is that the Sofia Hotel is quite a way in front of the rest of the hotels in Sitges. The only other hotel that come close is the platja dor.

hope this is of use.

Room Tip: my room 312... no complaints about it
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank yep y
Gemma G, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel MIM Sitges, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

We are sorry for the inconvenience related with the Sky Bar, we will coordinate better in the future with the Sky Bar Staff to have more tables available for hotel guests.