“Spectacular modern hotel ......needs refining.”
Review of Hotel MIM Sitges

Hotel MIM Sitges
Ranked #8 of 40 Hotels in Sitges
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Check-in was slow due to there only being one receptionist, but I was soon admiring my room for the week which had no opening window ! There was no information in the room on how the air-conditioning worked but I eventually got it working and it was superb, totally silent and effective.

The bathroom does not have a door and there is effectively a window from the bathroom onto the bed which may concern some guests but was fine for me. There was no hook or shelf in the shower cubicle which was inconvenient.

Beach towels are provided but drying them after a day on the beach was difficult given the lack of opening window or a balcony. Bathroom towels were routinely changed daily so I simply asked for a clean beach towel also.

Breakfast was generally good but given I was on holiday and never in bed before 3am it would have been better if breakfast was served until 11 am every day. The hotel bar area looked great but there was nobody ever there which was rather a shame. Equally the rooftop pool and bar was also totally deserted. There were no beds alongside the pool just nice modern tables and chairs.

This is a new modern hotel and clearly there are many things still to be sorted. It really is beautifully designed and furrnished and for a business hotel would be great but I would have reservations recommending it for a beach based holiday.

Room Tip: Some rooms have juliet style balconies which would be worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Gemma G, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel MIM Sitges, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Dear Cymro2,

Concerning your comments, we inform you that the shelf and hooks are installed in the bathroom for a better comfort of our clients; as well we do have sunbeds on the Pool area.

Windows can't be opened due to security reasons, nevertheless we can offer to the clients a hanger to open in case they need it.

We deeply appreciate your comments, it helps us to continue improving and provide the best service so we can offer a memorable experience to our guests.

Thanks again for your trust and we hope to welcome you back.

Guest Service

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We made a weekend break specifically for the spa facility, and the spa facilities did not disappoint. Very relaxed atmosphere in a well thought and well finished location, we were well taken care off in the spa.

Perhaps because it is fairly new, the hotel appears to be requiring a few tweeks to get it sorted. Spent too long checking in, and again on our check-out; could do with another person on the reception. The elevator - boy, we spent ages waiting every time we wanted to go up or down, and it was faster to use the stairs and walk! Big gripe about the hotel parking, which was not available for use, though we never found out why.

The bedrooms - good bed with reasonable bedding made for a comfortable sleep, but there was noise disturbance from outside of the hotel on both of the nights that we stayed. Surprised that there was no bath or bidet in the bathroom, though there was a good shower. And final gripe : no terrace!!!!

Final plus is the top floor bar, which is well worth the visit.

1  Thank Andrew3003
Gemma G, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel MIM Sitges, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing the Avenida Sofia Hotel & Spa. We regret that your stay did not fully meet your expectations. Please, accept our most sincere apologies and allow us to follow up on your comments directly with our team.

When you came to the hotel there was a technical problem which did not allow us to park any car during those days. But I would like to apologize for the lack of information about this issue. We will improve this aspect in the future.

Thanks again for your trust and we hope to welcome you back,

The team from the Avenida Sofia Hotel & Spa.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Roof terrasse bar is probably the best spot in Sitges - second to none. Friendly and responsive staff. We never waited more that a couple of minutes. Overall this hotel stands out as a modern and stylish. Aircon in the room is the most advanced I've experienced. It brings the room temparature to the right level wihout any noise or could airstream. One advise though, the Superior "standard" room is small - just like a typical standard business hotell room. If you plan to spend a few days, make sure to upgrade to the next level.

Room Tip: Consider upgrading from a Superior room, as this is rather small and basic.
1  Thank arvid s
Gemma G, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel MIM Sitges, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

We thank you for the confidence you have placed in the Avenida Sofia Hotel & Spa and we are pleased to know your stay has fulfilled all your expectations. Your comments make us aware of aspects we must improve and we thank you for this useful opportunity.

We appreciate the comments received and we will share them with the rest of the team to continue to offer the best service.

Looking forward to welcome you again in Avenida Sofia Hotel & Spa,

Customer Service Department.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

The Sky Bar on the 7th floor of this hotel is a very unique, stylish and slick bar, offering great views of Sitges, the ocean, and the surrounding hills. I can't stress enough the setting. It reminds me of the top floor bars of Bangkok, with pools and glass all around. Unfortunately, it took 10 minutes to get someone's attention. We obtained a drink menu, and if I wouldn't have left, I might still be waiting to place my order (It's Saturday noon already!).
After another 10' approximately, we got up, and left. That was when the manager came to us and asked us if we had placed an order. "Too late" was my reply.
I know they were busy with diners, the waitress was doing her best (I like to give people the benefit of the doubt), but at the costs of drinks up there, get more staff if you want repeat customers. I live in Sitges, I'm not tourist. And in addition, I was exploring the possibility of hiring the venue for an event with our friends. Needless to say, that will not be taking place there.
In my opinion, they are not ready for the season yet. It's a shame, it's a very nice setting. There are plenty of option here in Sitges for drinks and lounging.

4  Thank nomadcrow
José Miguel T, Manager at Hotel MIM Sitges, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear Guest,
I'm very sorry for taking so long to reply to your comments about your unpleasant visit to our Sky Bar few months ago. I can assure you, we are in wotkings hard to eliminate situations like the one you experienced. I hope you will give us another chance when you open the Sky Bar next season. Best regards

Reviewed June 28, 2013

I wrote on Trip Advisor last year because people were getting the old hotel (which occupied this site on Avenida Sofia mixed up with a building that was only half completed.
I mention this is a part review but still, I think, worth recording.
I usually stay at the Calipolis where they have upped their game a bit but not much and so I walked in to the Avenida and asked two things. 1) May I see a room 2) May I see the roof top pool.
This was hard bloody work. The lobby looked gorgeous despite the plastic flowers - actually the plastic flowers were very good - maybe a drop of water to conjure up the spectacle?
I approached the reception to be met with a blank stare. I gave one back and waited and waited and eventually the young man said "Can I help you". He said it would be possible. So we went up to see the "Spa" or pool which was very, very nice and came back down to be met with man on phone. Eventually he said "the girl will show you a room". Girl did show us a room and very nice it was too - not big but stylish and a lot of thought had gone into making use of the space.
My point is why open a new hotel and then staff it with (mainly) people who are too smart to crack their face or too smart to give any service. They have had 6 months to get this right. Sitges is a gay resort. Get used to it. Queens are fickle people with more money than your average tourist. If Avenida doesn't get it right it will show up on the bottom line.
It's got a lot of potential particularly with the Calipolis having conventions in June or July.

Let me make it clear I went in to check it out and I DID NOT STAY there but there are some obvious issues just in the lobby.

Room Tip: Inexpensive at the bottom getting more expensive as you go up! In June a room with a sea view (and...
Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank GeorgeDaymond

Dear George Daymond,

First of all, we would like to thank you for the interest you show in the Avenida Sofia Hotel & Spa.

We deeply appreciate your comments. It helps us to continue improving and provide the best service so we can offer a memorable experience to our guests. We will take actions regarding your comments.
Please give us another opportunity to demonstrate our service improvement.

Looking forward to welcome you soon.

Your sincerely,

Guest Service

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I really do agree with several of the previous reviews - this could be a really good hotel but the attention to detail is sadly lacking and the customer service just doesn't exist. The restaurant staff were fine, but as others have said, the breakfast was uninspiring. We stayed w/c 10th June and the weather was hot - unfortunately so was our room. We called reception who agreed to fix the aircon but it was still ineffective. We asked for a key for the window and received one - opening the window was great - unfortunately the following day we returned to the room late morning to find the window locked again - and rather offputting - the key which had been in one of the drawers with our things had been taken - this I find completely out of order. Once again we obtained a key from reception but apparently they did not have enough keys for the hotel windows. I did feel there may be issues with room cleaning as one pair of room slippers went missing and then they tried to charge us for items from the minibar which we had certainly not had. When we booked we understood there would be a roof top pool and bar - the pool was there but so too were 7 or more workmen constructing the bar area - the noise from the drills and smell from the varnish made it completely impossible to use the pool. The website also said (and showed a photo) of the inside pool - but we were refused use of this as it was part of the spa and the charge was 35euros per visit. The bar was due to be finished by 20th June (after our visit) but the hotel would not make any allowance on the bill for the fact that the facilities were not available. I would also fully agree with another previous review - there are too many problems with lack of hooks in the bathrooms, no long mirrors, inadequate lighting, already broken doors and appliances etc that this hotel need to tackle if is going to prove itself to be anywhere a 4 star rating, let alone the 5 stars that it aspires to be. More work definately needed and that will have to include manager and staff training.

Room Tip: Real 'mixed bag' of rooms - ask to see what is available is you don't like first one - s...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Nina J

We deeply appreciate your comments, they make us aware of aspects we must improve and we thank you for this useful opportunity. It helps us to continue improving and provide the best service so we can offer a memorable experience to our guests. We will take action regarding your comments. Please give us another opportunity to demonstrate our service improvement.

Thanks again for your trust and we hope to welcome you back.

The team from the Avenida Sofia Hotel & Spa.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Overall: a very good hotel but overpriced with too many irritations

First, the good things:
Excellent location 2 small blocks from the beach, although a bit of a walk to most shops and restaurants. The hotel staff was friendly and very helpful. The decor is very modern and everything spotless. Area is quiet at night, unlike some other parts of Sitges. Wifi reception and speed were very good.

The room had a large floor-to-ceiling window overlooking a scenic pool (not part of the hotel) and with an effective black drape to keep out light. The showerhead was a large rain shower (but no temperature limit). There was a separate tub, too. The room and bath area were reasonably spacious.

The view from the roof is worth a visit. By the way, there is a large hotel directly between the Sofia and the beach, so the "sea view" rooms may be technically correct but perhaps not really worth extra.

The spa below ground level has two warm pools (33C), one with 6 types of jets, with large windows viewing tropical landscaping, and a sauna and steamroom. Very relaxing music. The first visit was free but then charged 25 euros per person, which is a bit high. Bathrobes are provided in the room and towels at the spa. The gym area (free) has a selection of machines and fairly spacious.

The breakfast had a fairly decent selection of foods: 3 or 4 juices, 1 cheese, 3 or 4 coldcuts, ~7 breads, scrambled and fried eggs, 6 fresh fruits, some cereals, etc. More about this below.

However, there were many deficiencies and disappointments, primarily with the room amenities, maintenance, and breakfast:

The bathroom had virtually no storage space. There was a small wood box for the hair dryer, which was the only spot besides the edges of the sinks to place toiletries. There wasn't even a spot for an extra roll of toilet paper. Ironically, there was a large space on the wall above the box that would have been perfect for a series of 5" deep storage shelves.

There was no shelf or other spot to put soap or shampoo in the shower. The only option was to put them on the floor or to leave the shower door open and use the sink edge just outside the shower. The shower also had a slippery floor and no grab bars in the shower or by the tub.

Only one hook for towels / bathrobe in the bath area -- completely idiotic for a room designed for two people. Only one small towel rack by one sink. Also no clothesline for drying. The bath towels were OK but no beach towels were available for use (unlike some other hotels).

The only bar soap provided was a very small (< 4 sq. cm) face soap that housekeeping threw away one day and never replaced. In fact, no shampoo or soap was provided except for the first day -- I ended up buying bar soap and shampoo myself! Also, there were no soap dishes. After 4 days, housekeeping put my bar soaps on what looked like paper coasters used at the bar --- and then the paper stuck to the soap!

Breakfast was just adequate -- not the best nor worst. A major problem was that the three visible staff taking care of breakfast did not keep up with the food or the tables. More than once during the week, the orange juice was empty, the fried eggs empty, some of the fruit empty, cheese or meats empty --- and typically not replaced by the time I finished my meal. Scrambled eggs were salty. Orange juice is from a bottle. No teapots, just undersized cups. Tea was generic & not very good. And more than once, there were many used, uncleared tables. (In contrast, my hotel the next week had a much larger breakfast buffet managed by only two people with rarely anything not available and most tables cleared quickly.

The pool on the roof is very small and quite cool. There was only one lounge bed, the rest being cushions on the floor. Almost no landscaping or shade. And there was construction work going on -- perhaps unavoidable, but even on the weekend, the area had not be thoroughly cleaned up, with boards and objects loose (potential tripping hazards).

Although the soundproofing between rooms seemed to be fine, you can hear everything from the hall -- doors closing and voices. The problem may be that the halls use a lot of laminated wood with no sound absorption and/or the walls on the hall side are not adequately soundproofed.

One style objection: even though the room is very modern in neutral tones, the bed was decorated with four small bright red and gold pillows, which seem more fitting for a Las Vegas brothel and totally out of style with the rest of the decor.

It is a shame when a hotel could be really excellent and but falls so short of meeting expectations. My hotel the following week was less than half the price and had none of the bathroom, housekeeping, or breakfast deficiencies of the Avenida Sofia.

Room Tip: The "sea view" rooms have limited view --- there is a large hotel directly between this ho...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank IQ140
José Miguel T, Manager at Hotel MIM Sitges, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Dear Guest,
I have just started working at the Avenida Sofia as Hotel manager and I have to admit you have impressed me a lot with your extensive, detailed and well done review you posted few month ago after you visited the hotel. Please accept my most sincere appologies for not responding to you earlier. Lots of thing have changed since them. If you ever come back to Sitges, pay us with a visit. Best regards