“Great location but, lacking of atmosphere”
Review of Hotel Calipolis

Hotel Calipolis
Ranked #7 of 38 Hotels in Sitges
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Great location but, lacking of atmosphere”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

This Hotel on the beach promenade of Sitges is very well located but, it is lacking of atmosphere. This is more of a business and conference hotel than a nice romantic holiday hotel. However, if you have a room with sea view and baclony, it is worth it. Rooms are clean and teh staff are professional. One negative thing is that it can be noisy, as the hotel is located at the busy beach promenade, which also is a street for cars.

Room Tip: Room with balcony and seaview is a must at this hotel. Preferably ask for a room on the side of ...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kirienesral

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Korean first
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We arrived early and they offered to hold our luggage until the rooms were ready. I was traveling with friends and together we occupied 4 rooms. Two ocean view rooms and two mountain rooms. I am not sure why but the mountain rooms paid more that the ocean view rooms. The hotel and rooms were clean and modern. The Hotel is nicely located and an easy walk to everything. The staff was extremely friendly, helpful and always available. The only downside is the poor sound proofing. I could hear every foot step my neighbors upstairs took and every word in the next room. Including his snoring! It's a party town so I was bothered because I was out late every night and passed out when I came back to my room. Light sleepers my have issues with this one. Excellent breakfast buffet with great coffee/Espresso and and reasonably price. I was very happy with the Hotel and I will return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
PacNW
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I spent a marvelous night in Sitges for my brother's wedding and stayed at the Hotel Calipolis. Not only is the hotel right in the middle of the action, everything you could ever want is within a short walk of the hotel. The hotel staff does not speak English, but are marvelous fun to play charades with and appreciated my horrible attempts at Catalan with the help of my dictionary.
We got a gorgeous room with a view of the sea and despite the fact that a couple of the amenities gave me pause, I found that it provided everything I needed for a day at the beach, some serious pre-wedding primping and a soft place to land after dancing all night long at the wedding.

My only complaint? There was a little sand on the floor, but with a view like that I hardly cared. I'd go back tomorrow.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank vegasscot
san francisco
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Stayed here for two nights. Did some research on this site and over all the reviews were above average. When I checked in at 2pm this gentleman was standing next to me complaining to the clerk behind the desk about asking him to come back for the third time for his room. I was early and my room was ready. He probably had another type of room and he was asked to wait two hours and he came back and asked to come back another hour then ask AGAIN to come back another hour. He said this is rubbish because they should let me know ahead if it took that long, i agreed. Obviously the supervisor behind the desk told the clerk in Spanish to upgrade the room so the man finally got it. I would be irrigated if I was in the same situation.

Room wise, it is clean and simple, nothing fancy except there is a leak in the toilet tank and it was making dripping noise all night. I didn't bother to ask to check the room because I know the hotel was fully book.

Breakfast is nice, sparking wine all you can drink along with white and red. Nice way to start the morning, isn't it?

Walking distance to town and convenient located. The beach is across the street and reviews are right about if you could, get the room with the balcony.

Would I recommend it? I would say yes. It is not expensive and I would stay there again with the balcony room next time.

Staffs - Just read the latest review "dreadful experience" and if I were the reviewer I would be pissed too.

Oh, it's got a pool and the size is decent. At least it's got one.

Everyone's experience is different so it is up to you to judge after reading reviews and make your own judgement.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank sfscubaman
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Nice room with a view on a wall and no balcony. The cleaning personnel is very loud so that sleeping late is not possible. The bathtub (swimming pool) and the terrace are a offence as they are too small!

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Raymondanser
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I had almost forgotten an appalling experience I had at this hotel last year when I recently received an e-mail inviting me to return and listing 8 reasons to do so. Granted I was there late in the Season; otherwise there can be no explanation for the dreadful experience I encountered. I booked a superior room and paid the supplement for same. It was beautiful Autumn weather. On check in staff appeared to speak little or no English. I expected the superior room to be on a high floor. I was assigned a perfectly ordinary room at ground floor level; granted with a sea view though this was obstructed by the street traffic. When I requested a room on a higher floor I was informed that none was available. I had a sleepless night as outside my room pipes pumped and groaned all night. Front desk staff professed not to speak English. Dreadful. Next morning a large number of people arrived for a conference or training session. I expect therefore staff were not pleased to have to deal with ordinary tourists who had the cheek to check in at the same time. Buffet breakfast was fine. I would not go next or near this establishment under any circumstances.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
UK
Reviewed June 13, 2013

i had a room on the 8th floor with a balcony overlooking the sea
Large room and large bathroom.
The pool is small, but the sandy beach is just across the road..

Hotel food is excellent and excellent breakfast

Lots of beaches different beaches along the front. This town is a hidden gem and I would return later on in the year.
The bus (every hr) or train (1 change) from the airport is cheap 3euros. BUT the taxi was 70euros (motorway toll included)

Nice restaurants along the front and in the town

Room Tip: 8th floor facing the sea is great
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business