“Amazing balconies and location”
Review of Hotel Calipolis

Hotel Calipolis
Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Sitges
Reviewed October 17, 2011

I stayed in the Calipolis around 4 years ago in a newly renovated room and it was truly amazing. It's still quite nice, although showing some signs of aging. But in the end, it didn't matter because the important things are still the same: tremendous views, amazing balconies, and great location. I read the mixed reviews on friendliness, and here's my take: the people are friendly, although it's more a responsive kind of friendly, not a solicitous kind of friendly. So it's true, the front desk staff didn't stop me on my way in to chit chat and see how my day was, but they were great whenever I approached them for help with something or for beach towels or advice.
I have one beef with the hotel and for me it is big: the internet speed was really painfully slow. I couldn't upload pictures and I couldn't have any kind of voice or FaceTime conversation with back home. Basic short emails were fine, but that is not enough today. I really hope they fix that because I would very much like to return.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank krawimi

Reviewed October 14, 2011

The hotel is right down on the sea front, with easy access to all that Sitges has to offer.
Forget breakfast in the hotel and head across the road to "Picnic" lovely cafe with big open balcony right on the waters edge. Food is excellent and cheaper than hotel for breakfast.

Lovely modern feel to hotel, staff are friendly and the towel service for the beach is a great feature. Always found the place clean and tidy and pretty quiet. Slept well every night. Rooms are large and well appointed.

You do pay more for this hotel but if you can afford it, then it's worth it.
I found the pool in the hotel pretty small, in the phones online it looks bigger. It is more of a plunge pool. However get over to the beach and hire a lounger and shader for 11 euro!

Would definately stay here again.

Room Tip: The mountain rooms are fine if you are not going to spend all day in the hotel. Sea view rooms are a...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Siboyblue
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Room was comfortable if a little plain for the money but came with lcd tv, minibar and large balcony with electric sun blind. The view was fantastic. Swimming pool designer but tiny. Location excellent. Staff were ok but not all that friendly....my room wasn't ready until 4pm after arriving around 10.30am and being told would be ready around 1pm....then 2pm etc.....a bit hard to bare after having been up at 3am to get to the airport for 7am flight. However I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 5, 2011

I stayed at the Hotel Calipolis for a week in July 2011. This was my third visit to Sitges. The location of the hotel is excellent, just in front of the main beaches and promenade. I do think the hotel is very overpriced though, the rooms are pretty basic and nothing special and I certainly wouldnt rate them as four star. I had a room at the back of the hotel which was fine and the air-conditioning is very good, my friend had a room at the front with a balcony and this was lovely to sit out on. We had lunch several times on the bar-terrace and the food was good but we found the staff to be very unfriendly and aloof, never smiling and barely speaking. The area in front of the small pool is a very nice place to relax. To sum up, this is a very clean and bright hotel with the best location in Sitges, but there is nothing memorable about the rooms and service.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 24, 2011

Ok. I read many of the other reviews here. I found the Calipolis to be just fine for what we wanted. My partner and I were there for two nights in early September, 2011. We had a large room on the 6th floor with a nice terrace with two chaise lounge chairs overlooking the beach. It was great. The room was very clean, comfortable and relaxing. It is directly across from the gay beach, and walking distance to every restaurant and shop in Sitges. The staff were very polite and accomodating. The breakfast buffet was very diverse, as it had something for everyone. We did not eat in the hotel restaurant for lunch or dinner, so I can't comment on that. Probably the only downside to this hotel is the soundproofing (or lack thereof) between the rooms. I could imagine that during high season or during a big party week, it could be unbearable. We did hear everything going on in the rooms on both sides of our room. The guy next door certainly had plenty of guests to keep him happy or for him to keep happy, although I wondered how his stamina could hold for as long as it did each night! Believe it or not, but there was also a woman two rooms down who was very loud during her lovemaking I could hear it loud and clear in my room. Well, at least she was satisfied!

All in all, the hotel is so convenient, clean and comfortable, I don't mind having the paper thin walls.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChuckNYCUWS
Reviewed September 16, 2011

There weren’t many hotel options to choose from in Sitges but this one seemed like one of the better options on the internet. I quickly found out that was not the case and this hotel was seriously overrated and overpriced. The check in process takes forever and they obviously need to update the credit card processing system to something faster and modern. Small, slow, and old elevators and crusty halls made me feel like I was staying in a 70’s style hotel. Once I arrived in my room I was impressed at all with the barely there furniture and outdated bathroom. We also experienced a lot of noise in the halls from kids running and playing in them. The location was great and offers a lot of eateries right outside the main entrance and the beach is directly across the street. I paid over $250 a night and felt like I was staying at a Motel 6. Never again will I stay at this hotel if I return to Sitges.

Room Tip: Request an ocen view room with a balcony.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 16, 2011

The reception and catering staff at this hotel are more than fabulous! However the building is so badly built in that the walls between rooms are so thin you can hear everything - yes everything..... it is as if they are in your room! Worst still is that all room floors are tiled you can hear footsteps above you and the dragging of chairs across floors. The cleaners start early and are unaware or don't care as are other guests that the dragging of chairs across the floor creates a reverberating loud noise that is enough to awaken you from your post clubbing sleep at 8am. I would love to say that I would stay there again but the noise inside is just too bad. One shouldn't need ear plugs or sleeping pills when on holiday. As I say the reception and catering staff are fabulous but at the higher end of the price range this hotel does not come up with the goods in terms of sleep quality. So I won't be coming back. If they carpeted the floors then the noise could be dampened down a bit but the thin walls still need addressing.
Such a shame as the location is great.

Room Tip: insist on a higher floor on sea front side at end of building to minimise noise.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple