“The most spectacular location in Catalonia”

Hotel Abat Cisneros
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Montserrat
Reviewed April 24, 2008

I took the tram up from Plaza de Espanya in Barcelona directly from the airport minus my backpack which did not follow me, owing to Air Canada's tight connexion at Frankfurt. The train, especially in its last few kilometres, switches back and forth up the mountain, relying on cables to arrive at the station. The hotel is right across from the station.

The rooms were plain but clean and comfortable (54.59€). My view was of the side of the very impressive mountain but I had more need of a good sleep than a view. The hotel appears to be part of the Abbey complex, perched on the side of this humongous serrated mountain, overlooking mist-covered plains to Manresa and Barcelona.

Hotel staff registered me quickly and pleasantly (in English), and promised that they would alert me as soon as my luggage arrived--- I left the question of how to hike 1200km without a backpack until later. After vespers and my dinner, the pack was awaiting for me.

I took my dinner in the cafeteria near the souvenir shop and found the food very good for cafeteria food, although perhaps a bit overpriced-- given that the site is a tourist joint, one is not surprised. What is remarkable, aside from the breathtaking views (why have I not heard of this place before?), is the Abbey church with its choir school. I attended a packed vespers and found the choristers, just back from their summer holidays, the equivalent of the best English cathedral choirs. This is a five-star worth-the-detour must for church music freaks.

Unlike many Spanish hotels, breakfast was available at an early hour and was reasonable in quantity and price.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
4  Thank elmstrasse

Reviewed July 26, 2007

We booked on the spur of the moment and then read the reviews they were spot on, the " view" was the same one as posted on candid photos. I'm not sure it was the same room though, as my sister also had the same view, a rock face with a little rubbish thrown in.The service was poor and the evening meal terrible but the rooms were clean (or maybe we couldn't tell as they were dark) and the breakfast was good.
However we found the early morning bell ringing made it very atmospheric and the cable car ride, the walks and the views made it a worthwhile visit.
The hotel has a monopoly as there is nowhere else to eat, so they just don't bother and it shows!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank sallymartin
Reviewed May 2, 2007

This hotel is not bad but could be much better.

On the plus side the location is breathtaking.
If you are lucky to get a room at the front you will be greeted with a breathtaking view. Difficult to get a better view (on a clear day).
The rooms are nice and clean.

On the minus side.
If you are unlucky you will get a view of the rock face from about 1 metre.
Or like us you will get a room above a service entrance where at 7am the beer etc. is being noisily delivered.
The restaurant can at best be decribed as average. Service was poor and the food was nothing special.
Bar is closed at ten.

I would not go so far as to not recommend the hotel but I would not tell anyone to expect too much.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Moonstomper
Reviewed October 19, 2006

As we were travelling from Barcelona to Seville we decided that the start of our holiday would be spent at the Abat Cisneros in Montserrat..... and wish we hadn't. The staff were miserable and gave the impression that we were a nuisance. We checked in and went to our room only to discover that the view was not what we had hoped for. We knew that the Hotel was built as the side of the mountain but did not expect there to be rooms at the back.....there was, and we had one of them. It was dire. We did try and laugh it off as we were sure we would be able to have a 'Romantic Meal' in the Hotel. Wrong again. It seems that you have to start queueing at 9am for a table for dinner. Tired and hungry we ventured into the 'Scout Camp Like' cafeteria. The food was, um, food and it took about 10 minutes for one of the 4 staff milling around to get our drinks. It was at that point that we decided 1 night was enough for anyone at this place. The bells chime every 15 minutes throughout the night but I suppose that is to be expected and was not too much of a problem. In the morning we visited the beautiful Monastery and then checked out a day early. If you can do it in a day don't bother with the Hotel.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank Kristina2611
Reviewed September 14, 2005

I hate to leave a bad review, but this was the worst experience of our three-week European trip. Simply put: these folks lost our reservation, and they pulled a bait-and-switch when we arrived, trying to put us in their filthy hostel, instead of the decent hotel, but still trying to charge us for the hotel price. To their credit, they charged me the hostel price after I raised my concerns that night. However, the bottom line is that they put us in a dump due to their own incompetence. The in-house restaurant is terrible. Don't waste your time. The monastery is beautiful. Visit during the day and leave before the last funicular heads down the mountain.

• Stayed: May 2005
11  Thank GuitarKing
A TripAdvisor Member
dorset england
Reviewed March 28, 2004

We stayed at this hotel 23/24 march 2004. Delighful setting, nice rooms. However at present there is construction works going on outside the hotel. until 9pm. If you are looking for peace check first.We also felt the restaurant staff particularly on the first night in a hurry to get you moved on serving our main course before finshing the main course. They ran out of the restaurant at ten past ten maybe they had transport waiting!

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 15, 2003

Three star hotel, deserves 5 stars for its location and views!!! Great place, nice and modern rooms, excellent restaurant, very friendly and helpful staff. Based on the top of the mountain and offers a great views of the Catalonian Mountains. Best views Ive ever seen from hotels, good tourist walks above and below the clouds. The only religious thing imposed bells at 5 in the morning from monastery across the plaza.

20  Thank Niko_London
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montserrat
Hotel Mon Sant Benet
#1 of 1 in Sant Fruitos de Bages
Hotel Barcelona Golf Resort & Sp...
#1 of 3 in Sant Esteve Sesrovires
La Rambla
Hotel Arc La Rambla
Hotel Arc La Rambla
#108 of 516 in Barcelona
Don Candido Hotel
#2 of 3 in Terrassa

Been to Hotel Abat Cisneros? Share your experiences!