“Amazing but I was expecting more surprising... ”

El Celler de Can Roca
Ranked #1 of 526 Restaurants in Girona
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

We went there with friends in April this year for dinner. We had booked months in advance and we felt it was a once in a lifetime opportunity and we were not disappointed.
Everything is perfect :
+ the staff is amazingly efficient, nice and discret throughout the whole dinner (we were there for 5 hours).
+ the place is great. Everywhere you feel you have an amazing table. It's modern but with a cosy feeling. Your neighbours are far away.
+ this is the only place in my entire dining experience where I have seen a fabulous wine pairing. 10 glasses (or so) of wine with the tasting menu, mostly whites, mostly unknown (to me) but just perfect with each specific course. The food was amazing. It's even better with the wine. And at the end you've drunk 10 different wines, but you are fine and obviously not headache the next day. Congratulations to the sommelier.
+ they don't charge the sparkling wine as an aperitif. Congratulations when you see that you get charged GBP25 for a glass of champagne at Ducasse in London. No comment.
+ the first aperitif is incredible : a small olive tree and with caramelised olives hanging. Original, yet simple and incredibly good. I was expecting the whole menu to be like this. This is my only negative surprise : it was then not as original as I expected. But maybe who cares when it is so perfect otherwise.
+ it took us 5 hours to have our dinner and I honestly think that we could have been there a bit longer. Courses arrived a bit too quickly so we asked them to slow down. We should have asked it earlier in the dinner.

3  Thank leunamme
Write a ReviewReviews (2,345)

Reviewed July 8, 2014

by coincidence we ate at Hof van Cleve in Belgium the week after, and we found that better, but El Celler is far more inventive and - last but not least - far less expensive! the food is comparable to Astrid y Gaston in Lima

1  Thank Jurgen B
Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

Outstanding. Brilliant. Sublime. Perfect. What more is there to say? We thoroughly enjoyed the Feast Menu with the accompanying wine course. The flavours were spot-on, the food cooked and presented beautifully. Some surprises but all positive - no signs of getting carried away by experimenting. Excellent service - just the right level of communication to explain the food and wine. Very helpful to put the air conditioning on for a while when it got too warm and we asked for a blast of cool air. This should be the No.1 restaurant in the world (again).

2  Thank CTF_80
Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

This was our reason for visiting Girona. Like most others we have waited a year for this, making the reservation last July. It was a surprise for my partners 30th so I was hoping for amazing! All I can say is it far exceeded our expectations and could quite possibly be the most amazing meal we have ever had! 4.5 hours of pure excellence!

1  Thank hmiles1983
Reviewed June 30, 2014

The whole experience was wow from start to end . We didn't begrudge one penny of a very expensive evening out! Surprisingly the wines are very reasonable and we paid less for a bottle of Muscadet there than we do at home. Our waiter was a delight and carefully explained what we were eating and even though the dining room is very smart there was a nice relaxed feeling to the proceedings! Expect to be there for hours , there is a lot enjoy! Dress code is from smart casual through to very smart! This is a special place for a special night out! The other plus is staying in Girona which is now our favourite Spanish city! Spend a few days there! We stayed at LLegendes de Girona 10/10.

2  Thank clangers