“No jacket required 2.0 but I had one cause it was cold!”

El Celler de Can Roca
Ranked #1 of 530 Restaurants in Girona
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 27, 2014

We had wanted to return to El Cellar de Can Roca for our 25th anniversary. Luckily my wife managed to snag a table on a Saturday nightcon the right day.
I loved our first visit, but our return exceeded our high expectations many fold.
The same relaxed causual atmosphere remained but the food, I believe was better than before.
We started again with the olive tree. This time they had it right, it was less sweet with a much saltier caramel the little morsel sprang alive in your mouth and set the tone for the rest of the evening. I was saddened by the fact there was only two each to be had and my wife had already eaten both of hers.
We had the Feast Menu at 190 Euro’s it was worth every bit of it as we proceeded into the best meal I have ever had by some margin. Clearly this food was right up my alley. I wouldn’t say it was all there would be a little unrealistic.
A couple of things from the Around the World were good but didn’t quite get the taste of the region they where aimed at, I think I know what they where trying to do having been to most of them. The Chestnut and Smoked Eel was really not to my taste. It was good but only okay.
That aside, the rest was spectacular, it never missed a beat for me. From the amazing White asparagus and Truffle Viennetta, Mackerel with pickles and mullet roe, the salad of sea anemone, A Whole Prawn, Langoustine with bisque veloute, Grilled Sole, Artichoke flower Lamb belly and sweetbreads, Pigeon trillogy and Royale of Hare a la Royale not to mention the Truffle Bombon in moss.
The desserts, even amongst all that food stood out. They where amazingly well crafted, pleasing on the eye and gone!!!
Actually I do have to mention the Truffle Bombon in moss for two reasons.
1. It was supurb!!!
2. It was suggested to eat the Truffle Bombon in moss first followed by the Brioche. I think it would be better the other way around to ensure that taste of the Truffle Bombon remains strong on your palet for as long as possible.
Everything was served knowledgably and predicably without the fuss and stuffiness so annoyingly present at too many other places, stunningly presented from begining to end and best and most notably of all delicious.
That was such a great day, skiing in the morning topped off with such an amazing night out. Thankyou to everyone at El Cellar de Can Roca who made the night so magical and perfect.

2  Thank droidzviewz
Write a ReviewReviews (2,426)

Reviewed February 27, 2014

This institution really nailed it! They got it to the dot. Every detail is taken into consideration. The culinary experience is one of a kind. Bravo!!!

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We visited El Cellar de Can Rocca for our wedding anniversay and I cannot say I was disappointed in any way. The food was a sensation that combined dishes with big flavours followed by impressive flavour combinations (cherry and smoked eel!!). The service was impeccable and the whole evening was a demonstration of how a restuarant can be run. The amazing thing was we had budgeted extensively for what is the worlds best restuarant and walked away feeling like we had got a bargin. No it wasn't cheap, but it was way better than some of the massively overprice Michelin Star's out there. I would happily return, it was well worth it!!

Reviewed February 13, 2014

I have been 7 of the current top 10 restaurants in the world plus el Bulli (twice) and I can say that El Celler de Can Roca is currently the best restaurant in the World.

Not only because what surrounds the gastronomic experience (some people with no idea about high cuisine, which doesn’t mean expensive, here criticize) has been taken care of with extreme detail like the whole place, staff, table distribution, terrace… but because the meal itself (with the wine pairing) it’s just a work of art. Every single dish has a story behind. Every ingredient, every drop placed into each plate has a reason to be… and if you understand and enjoy that, the journey throughout the 5 hours we spent there will take (unfortunately) as long as the blink of an eye.

Too much fish? Too much white wine? It’s just the personality of the restaurant and how the menu was designed. 6 fish plates versus 3 meat (approx). Everything ran smoothly and every dish was more than a simple fish or meat dish. It just goes beyond that.

Way better than each competitor below. Only elBulli could overtake ECdCR. And I say that because I have tried them all. You can’t say it’s the best or not when you haven’t tried at least the top 20 restaurants. We have to bear in mind that the ranking is based in 900 critics’ opinions.

Lastly the Roca brothers were always there, approachable. Asking how everything was going, giving us a tour through the wine cellar, showing us the kitchen and talking about how amazing the experience of being number one was and challenging will be to keep this level up in 2014.

Waiting list: 1 year.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Whenever you manage to secure a booking in the top restaurant in the world you are bound to be full of expectation.
On this basis it's the marginal differences that count
The food was cleverly executed and took you on a journey however it was the wine matching that took this beyond
Unknown wines that really added to every course in an identifiable way that surpasses its known competition
It's also nice to find a place of this ilk that also offers added elements without the need to charge for all
Some great touches