“An unforgettable sensation...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Celler de Can Roca

El Celler de Can Roca
Ranked #1 of 491 Restaurants in Girona
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Grimbergen, Belgium
“An unforgettable sensation...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

Our first experience in a 3 star Michelin starred restaurant....
You read many about this place, certainly after there election as best restaurant in the world, but once inside, an efficient and very friendly team ensures an experience never to be forgotten. We made the choice for the "Classic menu" with selected wines and..........the result is amazing. A wall of flavours and fragrances, served in a dreamworld (the world, caramelized olives in a bonsaï, duck liver with vanilla oil, sole, red mullet and the Iberian pig (just unforgettable)....
Of course, it's expensive (€ 400 for 2), but everything is the best of anything you are ever likely to eat and drink....

1 Thank luc_demeulemeester

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Wigan
“"Number 1 in the world" - I think so!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

Well what can I say!

My wife and i visited El Celler de can Roca on the 11th of May, nearly a week or so after the announcement had been made that this restaurant was the best in the world. We actually booked the table 1 YEAR in advance (May 2012)! This is my only flaw I can find with the restaurant, I don't even know what country i will be in next week, never mind planning a year in advance!

However it was worth the wait!

The restaurant decor is fresh and informal yet modern and light. Dress code is informal, anything goes - some people in suits, some people in shirt and jeans, there was even someone in trainers.

Food, well, what can i say, exquisite! We opted for the Feast menu which was 14 course, every course was superb. I have a picture of the menu which i will upload so people can see.

Service - Excellent. Just what you would expect from a restaurant of this calibre.

Price - This is a big big win point for me. We visited Noma a couple of years ago when that was number 1 and the four of us had a £1500 bill at the end of it. Punchy. Can Roca came to £385, not including tip for two people. This included matching wines by the glass for me (not shy portions) and a couple of glasses of wine for my wife.

Travel - Overall this restaurant is well worth a major detour, in fact we went to Girona just for this restaurant. We stayed in Barcelona and we found the best mode of transport was as follows - fast train from Barcelona to Girona (AVE train), we left it to the last minute to book so could only get first class ticket (cost about 35 euros a head), there are two trains in the evening 1 that gets you in early around 8pm and the next train gets you into Girona around 9.30pm.

Last train is around 10.30 - 11.00pm, so the return trip, I am afraid is a taxi back to Barcelona - 170 EUROS worth - Ouch!

London, United Kingdom
“World Number 1! Definitely!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

After dining here just after the restaurant was awarded the number 1 position in the San Pellegrino awards it was just amazing! 11 months of waiting and I feel so grateful to have had the experience. It is one I will be returning back for! I never thought I would find food that was better than Thomas Keller’s or Heston Blumenthal’s but here it is in the most beautiful setting. The bursting flavours are to die for and the wine flight was something else (really it will blow your mind). I loved every minute and also the opportunity to meet two of the Roca brothers. The have hit the nail on the head when it comes to flavours and experience. This will leave a lasting memory for me for years to come!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RKappy1
Bewdley
“Out of this world”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

This was more than just eating, it was an amazing sensory experience. I need all the superlatives in the book to tell you about El Celler. The food was incredibly delicious, creative, inventive and playful. Unbelievable flavours, yet not whimsical, just an honest interpretation of Catalan and other cuisines. The wine list is famously enormous (it gets wheeled in on a trolley) so we opted for the house suggestions to accompany the classic tasting menu, as it would have been impossibe to make a choice. The wines presented were exquisite. The staff were amazing - professional, friendly, approachable and very knowledgeable. Not a hint of snootiness here. To make a birthday experience even more special the three Roca brothers kindly took time out to pose for a piccy, bless, and did me an extra little surprise dessert. The ambience was superb, with every table having a view onto the tree-lined courtyard; lighting and understated decor was just perfect. I can't praise the Rocas enough for their imagination and attention to detail. Alas, the waiting list for a table currently stands at 8 months, unsurpising for the "world's best restaurant".

Visited May 2013
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Probably Unique”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

in the true meaning of the word. We've done our share of Michelin's one and two and three star restaurants all over the globe and, frankly, had better meals than here, even if it now is rated by prestigious _Restaurant_ magazine as the # 1 restaurant in the world. But we've never had a more memorable dining experience. The attention to detail is extraordinary in terms of kind, thoughtful service; the ultra-modern but comfortable decor; the quality of the settings; the invention and abundance and brilliance of much of the menu. El Celler is truly a temple of the senses.
We chose the lesser of the two menus @ 123 euros plus the wine pairing @ 50 euros. This included eleven amuses and seven named courses plus a delightful selection of mignardises to conclude. The courses ranged from the Roca versions of foie gras, of calamari, of sole, of suckling pig to a startling, fresh symphony of lemon tastes and fragrances for one of the desserts, and a milk-centered dessert of caramel, ice cream, cheese foam, yoghurt, and spun sugar with a sort of musical accompaniment. Nine wines were poured.
We were disappointed in one dish of red mullet and its accompanying wine from the Jura. Immediately we were asked if we liked morels. Oh, yes, and in a few minutes the best-ever dish of the mushrooms arrived in an exquisite citrus-y sauce. A wonderful Meursault was poured.
A kitchen tour followed: forty kitchen staff and around thirty front-of-house staff cater to around sixty diners. We met the eldest brother, Jordi, and left the temple in a sort of happy daze. Yes. Definitely among the very best of the best. The bill was under 400 euros, a bargain, considering.

• Visited April 2013