“Out of this world”

Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed May 11, 2013

This was more than just eating, it was an amazing sensory experience. I need all the superlatives in the book to tell you about El Celler. The food was incredibly delicious, creative, inventive and playful. Unbelievable flavours, yet not whimsical, just an honest interpretation of Catalan and other cuisines. The wine list is famously enormous (it gets wheeled in on a trolley) so we opted for the house suggestions to accompany the classic tasting menu, as it would have been impossibe to make a choice. The wines presented were exquisite. The staff were amazing - professional, friendly, approachable and very knowledgeable. Not a hint of snootiness here. To make a birthday experience even more special the three Roca brothers kindly took time out to pose for a piccy, bless, and did me an extra little surprise dessert. The ambience was superb, with every table having a view onto the tree-lined courtyard; lighting and understated decor was just perfect. I can't praise the Rocas enough for their imagination and attention to detail. Alas, the waiting list for a table currently stands at 8 months, unsurpising for the "world's best restaurant".

Reviewed May 6, 2013

in the true meaning of the word. We've done our share of Michelin's one and two and three star restaurants all over the globe and, frankly, had better meals than here, even if it now is rated by prestigious _Restaurant_ magazine as the # 1 restaurant in the world. But we've never had a more memorable dining experience. The attention to detail is extraordinary in terms of kind, thoughtful service; the ultra-modern but comfortable decor; the quality of the settings; the invention and abundance and brilliance of much of the menu. El Celler is truly a temple of the senses.
We chose the lesser of the two menus @ 123 euros plus the wine pairing @ 50 euros. This included eleven amuses and seven named courses plus a delightful selection of mignardises to conclude. The courses ranged from the Roca versions of foie gras, of calamari, of sole, of suckling pig to a startling, fresh symphony of lemon tastes and fragrances for one of the desserts, and a milk-centered dessert of caramel, ice cream, cheese foam, yoghurt, and spun sugar with a sort of musical accompaniment. Nine wines were poured.
We were disappointed in one dish of red mullet and its accompanying wine from the Jura. Immediately we were asked if we liked morels. Oh, yes, and in a few minutes the best-ever dish of the mushrooms arrived in an exquisite citrus-y sauce. A wonderful Meursault was poured.
A kitchen tour followed: forty kitchen staff and around thirty front-of-house staff cater to around sixty diners. We met the eldest brother, Jordi, and left the temple in a sort of happy daze. Yes. Definitely among the very best of the best. The bill was under 400 euros, a bargain, considering.

2  Thank vcdarty
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I saw this restaurant on Masterchef about 2 years ago and planned to go ever since. I contacted the restaurant to find out their booking policy. They took reservations 11 months in advance. I booked last June for our trip that just took place in May. This was before the Restaurant gained its No 1 slot in the Worlds 50 best Restaurants 2013.

Our booking was for 1.30pm and we arrived at 1.15pm. We received a very friendly welcome and i noticed they marked down our nationality. This meant through out the meal we were served by English speaking staff and we received our menus in English.

We were invited to see the kitchen which of course we accepted. The very impressive automatic doors opened to revile a wonderland of gastronomy. I always love a good nosey around the kitchen but this was above and beyond my expectations. It was like a guided tour with the bonus of seeing the head chef.

Our table was by the window, however the whole restaurant was bright and airy. The decor is very clean and modern. The table was dressed with white linen and had 3 simple pebbles.

We were offered a glass of Cava to start the meal which we accepted (This must be included as it wasnt n the bill) then we were presented with the wine list!!!! or should i say catalogue,I have never seen anything like it. There is certainly plenty of choice, if anything maybe a little overwhelming.

Within a matter of moments we received our first delights. The waitress places a paper lantern in the shape of the world and told us these canapés were inspired by the Brothers travels around the world. Once the lantern was removed we new the flight from the UK had been worth it. These small mouthfuls held such flavour and technique.

Next we were presented with a small Bonsai Olive tree, on closer inspection we spotted what we were then told were Caramelised Olives stuffed with Anchovies. Now i am not a fan of either of these ingredients as a rule but the combination was delightful.

There was a choice of 2 menus- Tasting Menu 135 Euros or Festival Menu 165 Euros. We chose to enjoy the Festival Menu.

All the food was to the highest standard and extremely clever. I wont ruin it for you by telling you dish by dish.

The service and pace of the meal was perfect. Each course came very quickly,however we were there for 4 hours although it didn't feel like it and i certainly didn't want it to end.

We flew into Barcelona and hired a car, however in hindsight the best option would be to fly into Girona airport. We stayed in The Nord 1901 hotel in Girona and it cost 7.5 Euros in a cab.

We have never travelled out of the country specifically to visit a restaurant however it was 100% worth it. £139 for 21 dishes it very reasonable especially when its to this level.

4  Thank theomillie
Reviewed May 5, 2013

In May 2013 I stayed at Platja d'Oro on the marvellous Costa Brava, I tried to book a table at El Celler de Can Roca in the beautiful historical city of Girona from the distant Australia but it was all fully booked. Some how the Hotel I stayed managed to get me a table within 2 hours two days later! ... I discovered the secret on how to become the best of the bests when I had the privilege to be invited to visit the immaculate kitchen and two of the three Roca brothers with their natural family charm, they know what they do is art like I do art photography. The food was something that you must experience once in a life time or every month if you can afford it or when their creative menu changes. I had the satisfaction to find out that the second best restaurant in the world became the best in the world just a few days later ... it was an evening to remember and proportionally to the overpriced top Australian restaurants a great value for money ... "I'll be back" ... To complete your memorable journey I can recommend you stay at the charming "Hotel-Restaurant El Pati" at Peratallada to return to medieval times in the heart of the Costa Brava where every incidental detour will take you to a new "inoubliable" experience during your journey; you'll find out that some times a place in your journey is an unexpected privilege.

1  Thank cainetrip
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Our first experience of a 3 star Michelin starred restaurant, once inside an efficient but friendly team ensures an experience never to be forgotten.
The three brothers aided by a talented team of chefs and waiters deserve the accolades, we enjoyed every tasty morsel of the smaller of the two menus offered and it was more than enough in every way.

4  Thank mdrxabia