“Sublime”

Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I have been to several excellent restaurants and was worried that Can Roca wouldn't live up to the hype. I could not have been more wrong.

I food is nothing short of magnificent. We went for the feast menu accompanies by a few bottles of local wine and every dish was a masterpiece.

The service was faultless and the atmosphere the same.

I was also lucky enough to have a tour of the kitchen, and met two of the three brothers - both realyl lovely guys.

If you are a reasonably adventurous eater and can afford it, go here. It is expensive, but a couple of hundred euros for 19 courses and a few glasses of wine is, in my opinion, worth every single penny. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,456)

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Justifies it reputation, strong flavour combinations, beautifully presented courses and accompanied by equally strong wine combinations,with a focus on Spanish wines. Compared to top restaurants in other parts of Europe real good value.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

It is the time of year when myself and a small party of friends head off to one of Europe’s foodie cities for our annual gastronomic break. This year I had chosen Girona and El Celler de Can Roca. I hasten to add that this restaurant was chosen prior to all the free publicity given by the BBC. In actual fact that almost threw spanners in the works when wives/partners/girlfriends realised where we were going.
We entered this Temple of Gastronomy at the appointed hour having successfully made a reservation some nine months previously. We were immediately taken on a guided tour of the kitchens/laboratory to witness the thirty-five chefs hard at work preparing our lunch. Most of them took time to pass the time of day with us, which we found most agreeable.
Next we were ushered to our table in a fairly secluded part of the dining room and poured glasses of a very good Cava.
The menu is comprised of two tasting menus, one titled “Tasting of our Classics Menu” at €130 with matching wines at €50. The other is titled “Feast Menu” at
€185 with matching wines at an additional €85. We chose the Feast Menu with accompanying wines. It would take too long to describe all twenty-six courses but I have never experienced such intense and unusual flavours. A selection of very fine bread is served throughout the savoury part of the meal.
The fourteen wines served with the food started with a Muscadet and ended with a Malmsey Madeira with examples from most vineyards in between.
Should you require a digestive there is an enormous selection of sensibly priced spirits to tempt your palate.
We left the table after some five hours feeling pleasantly full and not absolutely stuffed as you would imagine.
Prior to the meal we requested that a copy of the menu remain at our table in order to keep track of the many courses. Rather than leave a large menu a small more manageable copy was produced. We also asked for a copy of the menu to take away and on completion of our meal a copy was presented to each of us.
Joan Roca was in evidence throughout our meal and visited our table for a short time. He was also kind enough to sign our take home copy of the menu.
Rather than wait for a taxi we all enjoyed a very pleasant walk back into central Girona.
I’m now wondering where to go next year!

2  Thank RnBrian
Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend treated me to this incredible restaurant. We had the tasting menu with the wine pairings and were impressed none the least. The different combinations of flavours were beyond my imagination. The only bad thing I could possibly say would be that the waiter spoke very quickly in explaining the different courses but I didn't mind :). Treat yourself and you will not be disappointed. Also try every different kind of bread. It is amazing.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Service started off a bit hazy but they soon got it together. Food was excellent, a real expedition around the world and was executed with perfection.......we Really enjoyed our experience and the most impressive thing for me was the wine pairing. Talented and innovative . Keep excelling at what ye do as the world need experiences like this.