“Splendid Basque Food”

Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Txalaka is a Basque tapas restaurant. There a slew of choices which you choose and pay for like a dim sum restaurant. All the ones we tried were very good. The room is nice and the customers mostly local people. And the frizzy white wine poured from a height is a perfect accompaniment t for a seafood-leaning set of choices.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

As a great fan of Basque "pintxos" I thought that I had tasted the best outside San Sebastián, but then I went to Txalaka! The "pintxos" are excellent, with a wide range to be sampled at €1.60 each, which is good value. Sidra and txacoli are available at €2.00 and €2.10 respectively per copa. There is also a restaurant area with a good selection of bottles of wine.

Txalaka is in really quite a convenient situation. It is next to the railway and is only about 5 minutes walk from the railway and bus stations. It is very close to Hotel Ultonia, where I was staying, and not far from Plaça Independencia, a popular dining area just across Riu Onyar from the old city.

I'm glad that I read about Txalaka on Tripadvisor before I headed off to Girona!

Reviewed October 8, 2013

I found this place through TripAdvisor, and went with my wife and two friends. All were delighted with the price and quality of the food. We like Basque pintxos, and the tapas in here seemed mostly Basque-inspired. We also had the Basque wine that is poured from about a meter above the glass to aerate it. The varied tapas, lively local crowd and the attentive but not intrusive waiter made for a lovely end to our Girona day. We had 24 tapas, including delightful large langoustine wrapped in Serrano ham, a bottle of wine and two good-sized beers for 52 euros.
A la prochaine.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

We were staying in the Ibis hotel in Girona and went to this restaurant because it was nearby. We planned to take a menu but when we saw the tapas we changed plans. Huge selection, high quality in a nice setting. You can eat in or outside. Delicious dining !!!

Reviewed October 6, 2013

We met a friend who lives in Girona and she took us there. We have eaten a lot of tapas during our time in Spain but this was one of the best. Huge selection, including postres. We shared a bottle of Txacoli and sat and ate and talked. We must have been there for over two hours. The staff were great. I highly recommend this bar.