Review Highlights
It will change you...

I have an emotional response when I think about this holiday.. it was probably the most amazing... read more

Reviewed July 1, 2017
E_and_Lil_K
Sydney, Australia
Experiencing this part of Spain on foot is amazing

I love running, especially trails, but this trip took running - and learning - to a new level... read more

Reviewed October 28, 2016
whitneygarcia3
Boulder, Colorado

See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed September 24, 2013

This was the highlight of our visit in Spain. Our tour guide and owner Pablo was helpful and informative passing on his love of the area and taking us to out of the way villages before we set out on what proved to be a beautiful day hike along the Mediterranean Sea, which was all it was advertised to be. We plan and returning to try other packages and our recommending it to all our friends.

Date of experience: September 2013
Reviewed May 30, 2013

While on vacation in Barcelona I wanted to get a day of trail running in. Running and Trekking Costa Brava was recommended by a friend. So a few months before I went I inquired about a single day of running. Cristina was responsive and provided lots of information. As the time got closer she made sure I had the train schedule and directions for how to meet Pablo (guide) at the Girona train station. While my initial train experience was not very good Cristina made sure I upgraded my ticket prior to heading back to Barcelona. (Had a very unfriendly couple of workers at the Garcia train station and they sent us to the main train station instead which made us miss our train. Also lots of construction at the Garcia train station which was confusing.)
Let's talk about Pablo! He was awesome. I was the only runner of our group and my other two companions were trekking. This was not a problem. He made sure both groups were well taken care of. The GPS he had for us were easy to use and he programmed it so I would know where to stop and wait. Pablo and I ran together for a while and his personality was infectious. His love of running rubs off on everyone. Also he had so much information about the area and really made you feel welcome. This was one of the best days of our European vacation. We are already planning a return trip. Minus the train trip out to Girona the trip was perfect. Take my advice 1 day is not enough!!!
Notes: Carry water (probably in a camelback type so your hands are free) and don’t forget your camera. The views were amazing. My friends and I agreed we liked Costa Brava better than the Cinque Terre in Italy.

Date of experience: May 2013
1  Thank Jessica G
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I actually did this run on September 11, 2011. It was a last minute reservation, as I was driving from Southern France to Valencia, Spain, and wanted a really cool run somewhere along the Costa Brava and much to my surprise found Running Costa Brava on Trip Advisor. Pablo called me as I was driving, and we agreed to meet at a campground for a 15km run. He asked me if I wanted lunch, which of course I agreed to, being in the food capital of the world.

The run was perfect - sun, sand, hills, villages, forests, trails, hard to reach little beaches, the smell of BBQ's, the beautiful coastline, deep blue water, caves, big rocks - yeah, all that and more. I don't think there is a more beautiful run in the world.

When we reached the restaurant, I recognized it as a place I had been to 7 years earlier on a trip to Europe with my oldest daughter when she was 11. Pretty amazing. It was so awesome and Pablo is such a great guy. I can't wait to do a multiple day running trip with my family.

If you want to run somewhere with amazing scenery, variety, culture, food and a super friendly and easy going guide - Running Costa Brava is it.

A couple of days later in Barcelona, I saw Messi play. Does it get any better?

Date of experience: September 2012
1  Thank HW2012
Reviewed April 25, 2013

This was one of the best vacations my husband and I have had; we loved every minute. As a long-time ultra runner I was eager to go, but my husband was unconvinced that "running" and "vacation" were meant to go together. He was more enthusiastic about the aspects of fine food and nice places, so we signed up. Through 5 days of incredible views, great food, and wonderful places to stay, my husband discovered, and I rediscovered the sheer joy of seeing new places by running to and through them. Our guide, Pablo, was outstanding in his ability to share his love of both running and exploring this incredible country. He readily adapted his plans to meet our abilities and interests and never seemed anything but happy to be out there helping us enjoy the trails. As for the food and accommodations, all were excellent and handled flawlessly. We are both eager for another trip like this. It's a very high standard.

Date of experience: April 2013
1  Thank RunsUltras
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Pablo and Cristina put together a trip that I can say as a runner, was one of the best vacations I have ever had. A large part is due to the fact that I'm and avid runner and traveller and so to combine the two is a dream come true. However Running Costa Brava gets everything right and this is an experience I will cherish and hope to do again soon! Cristina was very accessible from the start when I first emailed her about the possibility of a trip for March 22-25. She planned our entire stay from when we set foot off the Girona train station until we needed to get back on the train back to Barcelona. Hotels, dinner, and breakfasts were all planned and part of the package- Cristina chose 4-5 star choices- all of them with excellent properties and service. Costs we were responsible for were only lunches each day and the wine tasting they arranged for us at a family-owned winery. Pablo planned out 3 days of running, each with a wide variety of terrain. He took us for a short run around Girona upon our arrival and then we drove to our start point where we subsequently ran for about 3 hours along the coast over single track dirt and rocky trails to sandy and rocky beaches.The second day we ran about 23K on what was a truly amazing run ending in the beautiful medieval town of Pals. What made the day even more special was that Cristina arranged for us to go to a spa where we could soak our tired muscles and feel rejuvenated again. The third and final day started off with a steep climb with a monastery at the peak. Sadly however, this run was cut short because it was really cold, windy and wet (each in themselves alone would have been ok, but all together, not so fun when trying to navigate slippery wet rock down a steep descent. ) This was my husband and mine's decision to end early as I'm sure Pablo would have loved to have continued on. He sensed though our limits had been pushed and so thankfully he got us to the family-owned winery we were planning to visit later in the afternoon to change into dry clothes and warm up in front of a fireplace followed by wine tasting with a light lunch. Looking back on it I personally wish we had finished out the full running planned for the day, but I know it is good we didn't otherwise my husband would probably never agree to go on another running vacation with me again :)
Not only did Pablo have an infectious enthusiasm for running, but he was also well versed in the history of the area and we came away with more knowledge about the Catalonian history, culture and language than we expected.
Cristina was very responsive and replied to my email question promptly, never leaving my questions unanswered.
Pablo and Cristina are truly a gem--- soon to be revealed to the world as a large group of journalists from very well known publications are visiting them in May. My guess is that they will get very busy soon after that and I truly hope that they do not lose that personal touch and attention to detail that we experienced on this trip since I hope to return again to finish that third day we missed and experience other parts of Costa Brava that we did not have the time to explore on this short trip. Malta gracias Pablo and Cristina!

Date of experience: March 2013