“Great atmosphere”

Ranked #104 of 608 Restaurants in Girona
Cuisines: European
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: We are a restaurant, with many dishes for coeliacs, cafeteria and pub, all in one, located in the Barri Vell of Girona, just below the beautiful church of Sant Feliu! We offer you a warm family atmosphere, inspired by Bruce Springsteen and the culture of Native Americans, amazing and unique. We have different environments: tables, bar and the famous Chester sofas, and a fantastic terrace, to enjoy the River at any time of the day. Pets are also welcome
Reviewed February 12, 2019 via mobile

I am a HUGE fan of the River Cafe. As a Celiac it is one of the few places in Girona where I can go to eat and know I will feel fine the next day as they have 2 Kitchens and the gluten free food is served on a different colour plate so there is no confusion. It is a great place to go with friends, as they can eat normally and you as a Celiac can eat safely.
I have been various times and I have only been disappointed once. We were a group of 12 and we were made to have the group menu (understandable) but there was very small amounts of food and the croquettes were still frozen and the cream Catalan was more like a glass of milk. But I also have to say..It was a busy Saturday. And the waiter dealt with the problems fantastically.
All the other times I have eaten here...from the normal menu the food has been outstanding.
I really like The River,and recommend it...especially for Celiacs!

Date of visit: January 2019

Reviewed January 24, 2019

This cafe was open when we were looking for a light dinner on the sunday night of epiphany. It was full and we were luck to get a table. We ordered tapas style food - wish we'd skipped the croquettes but the squid was delicious. Service was fine and friendly

Date of visit: January 2019
Reviewed December 28, 2018

We ate here twice and had an enjoyable meal on both occasions. Its really a place for meat lovers, whilst they do cater for veggies and GF diners you are going to enjoy eating here much more if you are OK eating flesh. The portions were large on a number of dishes but after a day cycling its just what were were after. We thought prices, whilst not cheap, were reasonable. All the deserts were disappointing however, recommend avoiding those.

Service was mixed. Took a while to get served or attract the wait staffs attentions sometimes but we were not really in a rush so didn't bother us too much. We had a few wrong dishes delivered but these was rectified.

As mentioned we visited twice during our four day stay and I would be happy to return if we were in Girona again.

Good location in the old town near the cathedral.

Reviewed November 17, 2018 via mobile

On an excursion we were given a few minutes to grab a coffee and tea.
As the name suggests this location at the river. It was raining so just about everyone went in for a drink and use the facilities.
Cappuccino was average but then I just plain like my coffee. Wife says I take it intravenously!
Can’t say anything about the food but the coffee and tea were pretty good.
Space is limited so we stood at the bar.

Reviewed October 20, 2018 via mobile

My husband, son and I stopped here in the hope of getting a drink yesterday. The waiter didn't seem very pleased when we told him we only wanted drinks and not food although other people in the restuarant were also having only drinks and it was late morning. The menus were thrown onto the table, we sat for 10 minutes waiting to order and left without placing an order. This was the final day of our holiday and therefore we knew that there are a number of places to eat and drink in Girona and chose to go elsewhere. Despite the good location of the River cafe take our advice and go elsewhere with staff who are happy to serve their customers.