“Charming and in the heart of the Old Town of Girona”
Review of Cal Ros

Cal Ros
Ranked #84 of 517 Restaurants in Girona
Cuisines: Diner, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: El Restaurant Cal Ros de Girona, se encuentra situado en pleno barrio viejo de Girona, en la calle Cort Reial 9, bajo los arcos de “Roses”. Es un restaurante con una larga tradición en la ciudad. Antigua fonda con paredes y arcos de piedra, punto de encuentro de mercaderes y comerciantes. A partir de Agosto de 2017, la dirección del restaurante y la cocina que se ofrece es obra del joven cocinero de Girona Marc Fiol Palmada.
Barcelona
“Charming and in the heart of the Old Town of Girona”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Cal Ros is one of my favorite places to eat in Girona. It is run by a lovely couple of locals, always ready to be of help.
They bake their own bread and always have a little amuse-bouche ready to serve while we wait for the food.
Their vegetables are superfresh and local, and their menu changes according to the season produce.
The recipes are traditional Catalan cooking served in an elegant presentation.
My favorite dish of all was undoubtedly their caneloni. It's actually only one long big canelloni with a delicious mix of meats and white sauce. It's the only food I actually miss since I became a vegetarian!
I love its decoration keeping the feel of a Catalan mansion, and the fact that there's not too many people there: great way to get away from the crowds.

• Visited October 2012

• Finnish first
New York City, New York
“Great food, location and service”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I ate lunch here with my mom and sister on a weekday afternoon in June. The terrace outside was busy, but we chose to eat inside, so it was cool and very quiet. The inside space is lovely and almost cave-like. My mom and I ordered from the prix-fixe menu and received larger portions that my sister who ordered à la carte, so perhaps prix-fixe is the best way to go in terms of value. The best thing I had was the pasta with tomato sauce and shrimp. The bread with olive oil is excellent too, though you do pay for it. The service was very friendly and most of the staff speaks English. It's in a very pretty area and easily accessible, so I'd definitely recommend going

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Melissa K
Seattle
“I liked it!”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

In reading previous reviews, it seems people either love or hate this restaurant. I liked it alot. The "unordered and charged appetizer" commented on by several reviewers was specified as "servei pa i apertivo" on the bill....it was a delicious fried zucchini blossom the night I was there and I didn't mind paying for it at all...it was only 2.3 euros!...but I can understand why some people would be upset to pay for something they did not order.

My first course was the best-quality "Jamon Iberico." My main course was a classic Catalan combination of "sea and mountain"....pig trotters with scallops....had some hesitation about ordering this, but it turned out to be very delicious....the key was to combine a bit of trotter and a bit of scallop and eat those at the same time. I had a very tasty dessert, and the whole thing added up to 60 euros (with wine).

Don't be put off by the negative reviews...some people will find something bad about every place, even good ones. Go there!

• Visited May 2012
barcelona
“Not best place to eat in Girona”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I've been a couple of times, rates more expensive than average and quality under average... I've not come back.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank barcelonabp
Birmingham
“A year on, the thought of Cal Ros still makes us laugh!”
Reviewed June 17, 2012

We took the trip to Girona to go to El Celler de Can Roca. As Cal Ros is one of the Bons Figons we decided to book a table there, to hopefully sample some traditional catalan fare.

When we arrived, we had booked a table but seemed to be the only people there. For some reason, sitting out on the terrace cost more even though it was 2 steps away from the entrance, but we chose to do it anyway. We ordered to start a tomato and prawn gazpacho and a crudite salad and a bottle of wine.

The prawn gazpacho was tasteless and the prawn in the middle was raw. Not pleasant.

It was my crudite salad however that was the real gem... Unwashed whole vegetables thrown into a bowl, no attempt at preparation. On inspection of my half iceberg lettuce it was evident that it hadn't been properly cleaned, so we sent the course back. It arrived again in exactly the same condition so we paid for our overpriced heavily marked up wine and left.

• Visited August 2011