“Surprice”
Review of Can Sole

Can Sole
Reserve with
Can Sole is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #754 of 10,092 Restaurants in Barcelona
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Barceloneta
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Nice and delicious paella and wine. Good recommendation from the waiter. Good atmosphere! We will come back!

1  Thank Janne M

Reviewed June 1, 2014

paella was meant to be the strongest dish here but was a bit of a let down: although fairly abundant, it was mostly rice and little fish, and not very tasty (albeit decent). starters were more compelling, especially anchoives with vinegar (but they did not come cheap). no dessert available when we asked for it shortly after midnight. very quiet place. it was overall ok but i guess there is much better in town for food quality, price and atmosphere

2  Thank DemandingItalian
Reviewed May 20, 2014

I was celebrating my 40th with a weekend in Barcelona. The highlight for me was going to be a slow lazy Sunday lunch. We put in some ground work looking for good quality as we were willing to splurge a little as a once off. We had bypassed the more expensive looking terraced restaurants on the stroll out to the small side street, you will be doing well to find on your first attempt. In hindsight we would have been better off with one of these for the views and the better value. On entry we were happy as it felt like a lovely little, family owned restaurant, like many we have been to in France, Portugal and Italy. It felt like the sort of place you could order anything, with the knowledge that the dish has been prepared in the same way for generations. It is a traditional place, so the very simply worded menu was not a gimmick, and having experienced similar restaurants, we were aware that ordering "grilled prawns" probably meant exactly that. I was a little surprised at the cost of Euro45, but having queried why Dublin Bay prawns were "only" EUR38, I was assured that the grilled prawns were a lot bigger. The waiter did not offer any more information, and in my naivety, I did not ask, so I am partly to blame. My surprise turned to incredulity when my 6 prawns arrived, simple and very attractive, but still only 6 bites of food for 45 quid. I asked the waiter if we were to expect anything else, and to make sure that this dish did cost so much. He just shrugged and walked off. My wife ordered sole meurnier which was lovely, but again lacking any salad, potatoes etc. Considering the green salad cost over 9 euro, we decided to cut out losses and enjoy what we had ordered. We ordered more bread and oil, but received only bread. My wife ordered butter, which we did receive. Everyone elase ion the restaurant were enjoying themselves, and seemed to know what they were doing. They must have had deeper pockets than us, as the food kept on coming. The owner made his way around the room, mixing with obvious friends and catching up. We were bypassed, perhaps due to only ordering 1 main each.We declined any dessert or coffee as the bill was already heading north of 100. When we did get the bill, I was disgusted to find everything we had eaten, or drank had a price, right down to bread and the portion of butter. I can accept some blame as we should have been stronger when discussing the dishes and also, perhaps returning my dish when it arrived. I am just not built that way, and rarely complain.
This is my 1st Trip advisor submission, and hopefully my last. Go to this quaint, traditional restaurant, but go with 200-300 per couple and sample more of the menu. What you see is what you get. The wine was excellent value, the food was cooked expertly, the atmosphere is local, but the value for money is horrendous, especially as it doesn't have the terrace or the tourists to gouge. Can Sole seems happy to gouge everyone.

1  Thank Chris B
Reviewed May 17, 2014

Went to this restaurant on advice of son. Was terribly disappointed, and the recommended anchovies gave my husband indigestion. When we didn't order dessert and coffee, we were ignored by waiter.

1  Thank Jeantravels1945
Reviewed May 12, 2014

We entered this restaurant following the advice found in a Barcelona guide book and did not regret it. Located away from the usual tourist routes, the place seen from outside is unremarkable. However, as soon as we walked in, we found the atmosphere was warm and friendly. The staff and owner made us feel very welcome and we were served the most delicious and copious zarzuela we could wish. The wine was of the same quality. The room was full of Spaniards, which was an indication of its reputation among local people. Even though the price was slightly high, we found it was good value for money overall. It is certainly a place to recommend.