“Criticize the prices or service, but not the food”
Review of Can Sole

Can Sole
Reserve with
Can Sole is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #842 of 10,179 Restaurants in Barcelona
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Barceloneta
Reviewed February 25, 2012

All the complaints about the prices here are accurate, they are outrageously high. I remembered "high" from a previous visit, but outrageously high captures it. The only thing that's low is the prices of some of the wines.

The service is casual, but we had three courses in 2 hours, which is about par or better for a white tablecloth restaurant in Spain. Food arrived as ordered, and we had no problem with getting extras when we asked for them.

For appetizers, we had anchovies, small octopi, and calamari rings. The anchovies were particularly expensive (for anchovies) but the best I have had in years, and the baby octopi, sauteed in their ink, were simply wonderful. The calamari rings were particularly meaty, though the batter was iffy, and they came stuck together - it's almost like they were beneath the cares of Can Sole.

I had the Zarzuela, which I found a revelation. A wonderful, if olive oily sauce of saffron, tomatoes, and seafood stock served as the base for a variety of fish and shellfish. The other mains at the table were lobster and turbot. The staff seemed surprised that anyone would want melted butter with lobster, but provided it promptly. Anyway, they all seemed nice, but my Zarzuela was definitely at the head of the pack.

Everyone had dessert except for me. The chocolate things seemed fine, but a mandarin sorbet was simply superb, just amazing.

So I can't give Can Sole a perfect score, but I think if I owned the restaurant, I might do the same thing - raise prices to pay for the excellent seafood and a nice profit margin. Greed is good seafood at Can Sole.

Reviewed February 23, 2012

Good all rounder paella restaurant, when you choose a restaurant for its food and not the view, this is the place, higher quality dishes with obviously higher prices! no view of the sea but the food and service make up for it!

Reviewed November 19, 2011

My husband and I had Sunday lunch at Can Sole. We were impressed with all of the locals dining there. The food was quite good. No frills, excellent seafood. Service was OK, but it was clear that we were in the "tourist" section and outsiders.

The price is what blew us away. Compared to other meals we had in Barcelona, the value prop is just not there. A three course meal with a split bottle of wine came in around $200. They even charged us for the bread.

We spent the same for dinner at Monteil, which will go down as one of our best meals ever. Can Sole is just not inthe same league in terms of a dining experience.

Reviewed October 6, 2011

My fiancée and I dined in Can Solé after reading a guide book review. We popped in earlier on the same day and made a reservation for the evening. We owner was exceptionally welcoming, even with our poor grasp of the Spanish language! Maybe he was impressed that we actually bothered to try and make an effort to speak in his language?! Arriving in the evening the waiters were superb, recommending choices from the menu and wine matching too. The food was amazing - We had Anglerfish with Dublin Bay Prawns and the Parillada (mixed fish grill), both were cooked perfectly and the taste was just out of this world. The food was worth every penny, and compared with many of the other restaurants dotted around the marina / seafront very reasonably priced too.
If you are in Barcelona and fancy fresh perfectly cooked seafood and lovely Spanish wine served by friendly attentive waiters then Can Solé should be at the top of your list to visit.

1  Thank Gareth975
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Overpriced, poor service, average food. Underwhelmed!

1  Thank Lyn&MarkfromOz