“Be warned!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Chipiron

The Chipiron
Reserve with
The Chipiron is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,303 of 9,411 Restaurants in Barcelona
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children, Scenic view, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: En Maremagnum, con espectaculares vistas al Port Vell y el Skyline de Barcelona. La Cerveceria se encuentra en la planta baja justo al lado de la barra de mariscos, para disfrutar las esplendidas tapas marineras. Es un magnifico escaparate de los productos del mar preparados a la vista del cliente, que tambien puede pedirlas para llevar. En la Braserie, al mas puro estilo parisino y con el lema "Comer marisco ya no es un lujo", hace mas de 15 anos que nuestros clientes disfrutan de nuestras bandejas de marisco recien cocido y los obligados pescados al horno segun la pesca del dia.
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Be warned!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

I came here three years ago with my friends from Spain and service was good.

A few weeks ago I visited Barcelona again with my friends and this restaurant completely ruined our evening.

We were outside looking at the menu and the waiter rudely insisted that we go inside. Since we were tired from a whole day's trip we decided to just have dinner here. IT WAS THE WORSE DECISION EVER.

Firstly, one waiter inside gave us the menu and we told them we werent ready to order. A minute later, LITERALLY A MINUTE, another waiter came and rudely asked what we wanted to order and we havent even finished looking at the menu yet so he left. After another minute, a different waiter came again and asked us the same thing! This really has got to be the worse service ever. In total we had four different waiters who came to annoy us.

We then decided to just order paella to quickly leave. We ordered two big plates of paella and it was so horrible! It was tasteless and very slimy. It was disgusting.

Upon paying the bill, I gave whole notes and a few coins and a different waiter just took it. Then I told him I wanted my change and before leaving, he murmured why need to give change. I had change of around 10 EUROS! It took 30 minutes for the change to come and when we were following up on it, this time no waiters wanted to come and attend to us. We then thought they didnt want to give our change back because of what the guy murmured! So we kept calling their attention until finally someone went down to look for the guy.

He came back and gave us our change. And rudely he just stood there behind the table waiting for us to give tip. My friends and I took our change back and we were rummaging through our bags. The same waiter probably thought that we weren't leaving anything so he came to our table and RUDELY SAID "there's a service charge here in Barcelona but if you dont want to tip just keep your money i dont want it" IMAGINE HOW SHOCKED WE WERE! we were so angry! we couldnt speak to the manager because he couldnt be bothered about attending to foreigners he was very racist and you could see that he would only attend to spanish customers.

I warn everyone to not come here. The appearances of the waiters are horrible. They look like the illegal street vendors along Port Vell who was just picked up by the restaurant for cheap labour. They do not know how to address customers or the least be polite. Please don't come here if you don't want your trip to be ruined by such an experience.

They should have a complete change of management because Maremagnum is a tourist spot and it would be a shame for them to leave such an impression on tourists. I think that the unemployed Spanish residents deserve these jobs more than the filthy looking immigrants.

I hope the Board of Tourism of Barcelona will investigate this restaurant as IT IS A DISGRACE TO BARCELONA.

2 Thank tetrachel

• Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Perth, United Kingdom
“Not good avoid”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

We had the paella which was lacking in flavour and the meat was dry and over cooked and the whole experience was overpriced for what we got . The service was ok but nothing special. Would definitely avoid this one

1 Thank Mlpet
Edinburgh
“Excellent fresh seafood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

Wandered in here for food after 9pm. The manager recommended the Turbot which was brought to our table before cooking. Delicious, fresh and prepared by hand at the table after cooking. A little expensive, but worth it. Friendly service. All staff were a bit caught up in the live football, but still an experience worth repeating. Good location on the ground floor of the shopping mall, but looks out on the marina.

Basel
“Inedible”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

It was nice to be able to eat so close to the shopping center, but next time I'd rather walk another few meters to the next restaurant than go there again. The service didn't speak anything but Spanish and even though we talked Spanish fluently they were rude and inattentive. We waited 45 minutes for a simple Cecar Salad, some fries and the traditional "Pan Tumaca", tomate bread. The meat of my friend's salad was grey, flabby and greasy, salad inedible, the bread was drowned in olive oil but the fries were quite alright. There are lots of tourists and the atmosphere was very hectic. It might be okay for a quick refreshment in summer, but I would't recommend you to stay longer than necessary.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Airiniii
Culver City, California
“Unbelievable fish & seafood!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

We were just strolling around the port area and became hungry. We saw El Chiparon and although concerned about the tourist-trap element, we went upstairs and had a great meal. The service was fine, the view was nice and it happened to be a spectacular, sunny day to sit outside and people watch the busy port area. If you like fish and seafood, this is a place to satisfy all your cravings for anything that swims or crawls in the sea. The mixed platter is really enough for 3 people, although 1 human being of whom I am extremely fond, managed to consume nearly all of it! I had the hamburger (yes I did!) and it was excellent!! The price was reasonable - I can recommend this restaurant.

• Visited March 2013