“Unbelievable fish & seafood!”
Review of The Chipiron

The Chipiron
Reserve with
The Chipiron is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,603 of 10,193 Restaurants in Barcelona
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Seafood
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We were just strolling around the port area and became hungry. We saw El Chiparon and although concerned about the tourist-trap element, we went upstairs and had a great meal. The service was fine, the view was nice and it happened to be a spectacular, sunny day to sit outside and people watch the busy port area. If you like fish and seafood, this is a place to satisfy all your cravings for anything that swims or crawls in the sea. The mixed platter is really enough for 3 people, although 1 human being of whom I am extremely fond, managed to consume nearly all of it! I had the hamburger (yes I did!) and it was excellent!! The price was reasonable - I can recommend this restaurant.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,240)

Reviewed February 27, 2013

So we actually just picked this restaurant called El Chipiron out of the blue. We were really hungry and tired. We ordered 3 paella for 5 persons. Even though the waiter told us that 1 paella is actually for 1 person portion. But mind you, we are Asians. We do not eat as much as Europeans or Americans (not that there is something bad with that! It is just that we are used to eat in smaller portion). So we ordered:

1. Black Paella
This is actually seafood paella but they use squid ink to enhance the seafood flavor. I was a bit skeptical when I saw this. I mean, you want your food to be nice and pretty huh? But this one.. well.. I was wrong! I can't say anything bad about this black paella. So flavorful, nicely cooked, definitely recommended!

2. Seafood Paella
I guess this is the most famous type of paella. It was not as tasty as the black paella though. But you get more seafood inside as they put mussels in it.

3. Chicken and Beef Paella
I thought there was only seafood paella. Turned out they also have chicken & beef paella. Frankly speaking, I like this one better than the seafood paella above. They put man beef and chicken inside so you can feel quite full after eating this whole plate of paella.

Blogging about food, travel, shopping and trend worldwide at www.thetwotales.com

Reviewed January 25, 2013

First of all, I think food is strictly a matter of taste,culture,dietery needs and you can not always be too objetive about it.Having said that, I can go on and comment on the food which was Tapas(patatas Bravas=ok fried vegetables with little shrimps(vegetables=ok,little shrimps none only 2 medium ones), shrimps with garlic oil=tasty but the oil was soooo suspiciously used before(for frying other stuff) or very bad quality and seafood paella for 2=8 mussels,2 medium shrimps,4 small ones+2 extra shrimp heads(?) and traces of calamari.The food was very very very heavy to our stomaches.And we are used to Mediterranean cuisine since we are Greek.Now the food was the least of my concern for writing this critic since I foresaid that it is a matter of taste(although it was mediocre to the best),the whole point was the service and the way they treated us as soon as they smelled TOURIST....As soon as we sat they placed bread with tomatoes and a bowl of olives and pickles at our table.We were surprised(since we hadn't ordered it), after a while the waiter came informing us that the dishes were with charge IF we wanted them(?!)NO!Then the moment for the check came....He said they had trouble with the checking machine presenting us with a hand written note(not even a hand written receipt...) the amount was 75 euros and informed us that the the tip was not included, and that we SHOULD leave him EXTRA 10 percent.I have travelled a lot abroad.Even in countries like the USA or Canada where it is customery to tip generally the tip is not included(except groups of 8 or more and special services where it is written on your receipt).It was the first time that someone demanded that I should tip.I felt confused and ashamed that I did give him the money and left with my handmade-receipt-note, without saying a word...Now after 4 painfull with stomach ache hours due to the heavy food or who knows what...I am trying to save as many others as I can with this review...mediocre food-expensive-bad service and manners equals for me a place to avoid.There are so many other options right there....

4  Thank anna z
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I was recommended by a friend to go and try the fish there once i visit Barcelona. And was this the best fish i have ever eaten!!! I ordered the mixed seafood on grill and it was excellent. We liked it so much there with my friend that we spent around 4-5 hours after the lunch just enjoying wine and the great terrace on the second floor. Prices are quite ok (bottle of wine around 10 euro; I dont remember how much the fish plate was though). Portions are big. Service is very good as well. I recommend it! Every time I visit Barcelona I go there!

1  Thank Assya1980
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Worst restaurant experience i had in Barcelona, even though i know what are tourist traps, i fell into this one, huge prices for a horibble tasting food, the beer was almost as expensive as a bottle of wine in another very good restaurant, the paela was terrible, the rice was sour and there was almost no seafood in it, the same for the other types of food the others at the table had, very low quality, and to top it of, the waiter considered the fact that the service is not included in the final check so important, that he needed to specify it twice...

1  Thank Alexandru G