“Wonderful food”

Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Gracia
Reviewed May 19, 2013

This restaurant is hidden and not easy to find we found it by chance but did not regret it at all. If y enter the restaurant you have to pass a long corridor with parrillia, kitchen and counter but then you enter a nice big well decorated room. As it is south American you have to know what to order. They offer parrilla for 2 to very good price but probably not the most expensive meat, as seen with oer comments. The menue offers a wide varitiy of food with spreciallities as molleja, matambre, empanadas, palmitos and more. The steaks and the rabbit we ordered where excellent. Never had that good grilled rabbit before. The winelist is big but they offer several good wines for under 10€. Service was good and helpful. We will come again and reccomend this restaurant.

1  Thank Wolfgang55_13

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Beef from Argentine is not available in North America. Restaurant like LA RUEDA offers the opportunity to taste Argentine & Uruguayian Beef.
Argentine beef always had a very good reputation around the world except it is sort of a challenge for North American tastes because Argentine beef is not meant to be tender. Sometimes it is except it is less tender then North American beef. I see two reasons: The first one because the meat is lean: there is less fat and cholesterol. The second one is the way they cook it: with a lot of salt before they put it on the grill. Salt sears the meat and lock the juices and the flavor inside the meat.
There is a right way to slice the meat on the plate against the grain of the meat. The final result is a piece of meat that you neat to chew more and not swallow right away like North Americans tend to do with their meat.
I like argentine beef and I was happy to get the opportunity to taste Argentine beef. Many places are available in Barcelona. I have enjoyed the beef at la RUEDA so much, I went three times during our stay in Barcelona. The two sauces to go with it, the chimichurri is among the best ones. I wanted to bring some back home. Beef and chimichurri (*****)
Grilled chicken, done the same way is not as much successful (***) The baccalao => cod (***) is served with different thick and heavy sauces: look like the recipes coming from a different era that does not fit my tastes with fish.
Some uruguyan desserts, made on the premises are very interesting (****)
Prices are unbeatable (*****). Athmosphere with the burning embers in the front window that first caught my eyes when I was walking past this restaurant and cultural references adorning their walls such as the like of Fernandez Fierro is very nice (*****) although it seems the décor has not changed in decades (***** brought down to ****)
One time, we saw a team of police recruits coming to eat. There were about a dozen of them passing our table with their uniforms, their hat, their stick and their guns. How could they go wrong?

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Me and my partner spent a weekend in Barcelona. I had read reviews about La Rueda and was very excited to dine there. We are a couple who like cooking and enjoy well cooked food i.e. it does not have to be expensive, just well cooked . What we were served at La Rueda was terrible. We ordered a shared meat dish that others had mentioned in their reviews - Parrillada (39Euros) and bread (typical Spanish style). The plate that came in contained 4 "nice" pieces of beef, 4 chops and 4 sausages. The "nice" pieces had been cut the wrong way and was terribly tough. The chops mainly consisted of fat and was of very poor quality. The sausages were ok but I did not come there to eat sausages. The interior is quite cool but the food was not good at all. Again, I am no fine diner but apprechiate good food and would not recommend this place. They can do better than this.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I don't normally write reviews but I feel so strongly about how poorly my friend and I were treated in La Rueda, I felt I had to. Firstly, the waiter serving us was unwelcoming and unfriendly and seemed like he couldn't be bothered to serve us, I don't know why.

We both ordered beefsteak with potatos and expected the food to be of good quality and of reasonable portion size, as was the the food that had been served to the people at table next to us, whom appeared to be regulars.

Unfortunately, what we were served was completely substandard and comprised of a flat, what seemed like fried, overcooked inedible minute steak, that resembled a dishcloth rather than a beefsteak. (I wish I had taken a photo of it for you to see), served with some foul-looking deep fried oven chips.

I don't know why they decided to serve us food of this quality, only that perhaps they had these minute steaks in a freezer somewhere and wanted to use them up and decided that we looked like susceptible English tourists, even though we both live and work as schoolteachers in Barcelona.

I calmly suggested to the waiter that the food was not of good quality and was met with a nonchalant attitude. So, we both left the restuarant without taking single mouthful.

I realise that other people have had pleasant experiences here and having looked at the photo of the steak, this is of the quality we had been expecting, but didn't receive and like I say the food on the table next to us looked fine.

I honestly cannot think of a reason why they decided to take such an exception to us, so please use caution.

1  Thank Andy W
Reviewed February 9, 2013

People visit Barcelona and enjoy fish, sea food paella Valenciana and a full range of Mediterranean dishes. However, if you stay long enough here, you may want to try something more heavy stuff. Then you have the choice of the excellent local carne a piedra or to go to a quite well known Argentinian cusine restaurant. The other day, for a change we went to La Rueda, an Uruguayan restaurant in Eixample..
After a quite narrow but spectacular entrance along the burning grill and after few minutes of queue, we’ve been seated in a rather large room, with lots of tables all occupied. A very mixed atmosphere, from construction workers right from the site to banks top managers through lots of students. With the large crowd to feed, the atmosphere is rather industrial (although the decorations inside are very nice), the menu they preferred to be ordered from the daily list in order to speed up everything.
In any case, there is a place where people go to eat. And the food is plenty at incredible prices. Three course meal, water and ½ wine for a bit under EUR 10 !
The reason people goes there is not the price and the quantity of the food, but for the excellent quality of the grilled meat. I do not know the Uruguayan cuts and I can’t tell what e had. There was meat 1 and meat 2. Huge. Among the best grilled veal I ever had. A taste different from any other type of barbecue you ever had. If not afraid to putting weight, I’ll go tomorrow again. Go yourself and will not regret.

1  Thank Nicolae I