“Quantity & Chaos !!!”

Neighborhood: Barceloneta
Malta
“Quantity & Chaos !!!”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We got 'lured' inside this place by a very persuasive waiter. We were looking for a fish restaurant anyway so we decided to give it a try. We were given the last remaining table outside near the door as it was packed, even though it was quite late (nearly 11pm).

The sweating waiters rushed breathlessly in and out with plates of food and drinks. We ordered a grilled seafood platter to share. The portion was enormous to the extent we couldn't finish it. Nothing elaborate but tasted quite okay.

The place is 'very touristy'. Poor possibilities to communicate swiftly in any other language if not catalan or spanish. Very little attention to service as the main objection is to churn money and empty tables to get the next customers in. In a nutshell I would describe the place as crowded and extremely chaotic. Food is more quantity than quality. Not cheap considering they also charged us for a couple slices of stale bread and butter.

You may want to try it when in Barceloneta but don't set your expectations too high or you'll remain disappointed.

• Visited July 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Huddersfield
“Horrible service and disappointing food”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

When walking around Barcelona myself and my gf wanted somewhere to eat. We walked along the road with a load of the restaurants, that were of a similar price.

The place is more of a tourist trap, so I advise people going to go somewhere else.

The guy serving us reminded me of a Spanish Fred Flintstone and he hardly knew any English (Although saying that, it was Spain). He took our order and kept walking around looking at the machine he was using.

Our food came out 30/40 minutes later, with my gf ordering Paella and I ordering the Veil in a peppercorn sauce. My food was bland, so I didn't even bother eating it. My gf enjoyed the Paella, but had far too much for one.

One thing i noticed was an American woman who tried to get the bill, the staff didn't even notice her for about 5 minutes. When she left, she had dropped one euro on the floor, although it isn't a lot..by the time I noticed I saw two waiters almost diving just to get it, so that they could keep the euro for themselves.

• Visited June 2012
New Jersey
“A necessary tourist trap”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

The street were this place is located is full of restaurants all offering essentially the same. The location is nice and it may be your only option after a busy day in Barceloneta. They have pictures of the food outside ( times square style) and people trying o convince you to get it. Service is fine, nothing fancy. Sangria was tasteless . We ask for a house wine and added to the sangria!!food appears fresh and good, tiny overpriced for the location. I'm pretty sure you can find better seafood and tapas but, again, location and convenience may be the reason to go.

Milan, Italy
“Very very disappointing”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We usually went to "El rey de la gamba-1" and everything was good fish and paella). During our last night that one was overcrowed and we decided to go to "El rey de la gamba-2", being assured that the menu and priced were the same. In fact they were...what a pity that the execution of the dishes was really bad. Expecially the paella was HORRIBLE, the worst in Barcelona, even worse than the pre-cooked ones. The rice was overcooked and dry, the shrimps looks like the frozen ones...when we complained with the staff they were really rude. I will never go there again for paella (the fish was not bad).

Visited August 2012
Milan, Italy
“My favourite restaurant in Barcelona”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Everytime I go to Barcelona I go in this restaurant at least ones. The prices are not that high, considering it's seafood. Probabily it's a "touristic place" since it's near Barceloneta, nevertheless I like it. Gambas a la plancha are amazing (about 21 Eur), and even Mariscos Mix (a really big dish with shrimps, swordfish, mussels, squid ets enough four 4 people, about Eur 39.00). Sangria is good expecially if you ask for "no lemon, only orange and a bit of cointreau".

Visited August 2012