“not a good restaurant experience”
Review of Kaiku

Kaiku
Reserve with
Kaiku is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,217 of 9,931 Restaurants in Barcelona
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Barceloneta
Reviewed February 10, 2013

The seafood was fresh. It was prepared with almost nothing except salt. Perhaps this is right for fresh seafood but it seemed a bit overpriced at about 18 euros for 5 midsize shrimp and 18 euros more for 8 small ones. The dishes were all lukewarm and the plates cold. The waitress started to clear the first course before we were finished. The restaurant is rundown and dingy, cold and drafty. Overall it was a bad experience and poor value.

There are newer reviews for Kaiku

Reviewed January 3, 2013

I was recommended to try out this restaurant on my first day at Barcelona since i want to try something near the beach. But since it's cold and windy, there was no outdoor sitting available. I make a reservation and I am glad i did as the restaurant gets very busy from 1.30pm onward and they turn a few people away. The restaurant is not big in the indoor sitting and therefore I can understand they cannot accommodate more people.

The seafood was amazing, I had the mussels as a starter but it was too much for me and I cannot finished it on my own. The fish as main course was delicious, one of the best fish i have ever tasted.

The waiting stuff is very patience too and kept checking on me if the food is good and although she cannot speak English very well but she tried to explain the food to me.

i would go back there again for sure.

2  Thank nikkiong
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Perhaps it was because of mutual friends that chef Hug took personal care of me that made this such a fabulous lunch experience, but I can't imagine anyone being unhappy with this food. Simply incredible seafood creations with the most delicate sub tones and flavors going on. Best croquets I had in Spain (and I had many!) and the grilled fish was so sublime and had the texture and complexity of an incredible piece of fillet mignon. I don't know how he does that but it was awesome. It's not a cheap restaurant but well worth it and it's right on the ocean so great views. Thanks Hug!!!

Reviewed November 14, 2012

What Kaiku has going for it is its location. It is located at La Barceloneta which is by the docks and has a nice view of the beach. On our second day in Barcelona we walked over 45 minutes from the La Ramble area to reach Restaurante Kaiku. We were quite tired and very hungry but because our guide had recommended the paella in Kaiku as well as the noodle based dish the fideua, we were quite excited. We got to the restaurant at about 3:15. Our big problem was that we were a group of 10 that morning. When we got there we were met by a rather inhospitable and unwelcome person at the bar area. Her name, as she told us, was Joanna. She looked very problematic that we were a large group and although there were two or three tables which could seat four people, she didn't recommend to us to sit in separate tables. She just felt we were more a bother and she was worried that we would end up staying longer than their closing time. Her attitude left a very bad taste in the mouth and we certainly hope they don't have this type of reception for other big groups. The best thing that happened to us is due to their unhospitable attitude, we ended up eating in a nearby restaurant which had a better view of the beach which also served really good paella.

1  Thank Jack_tee
Reviewed November 1, 2012

This was like eating at home where your mother-in-law did her best for you. And, not expensive either.Lots of people swimming in the dark evening at the beach in front. Not fancy but pleasant.