“Blown Away by Taste, Quality, and Price”

Restaurante Oliveta
Ranked #1,903 of 11,609 Restaurants in Barcelona
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: El Poble Sec
Reviewed December 9, 2018

My girlfriend and I stopped off in this restaurant for lunch whilst scouting out food options near our hostel. We were drawn in by the menu outside advertising a business lunch price of €10 for a tapas and main course, and the waiter inside sat us down quickly before talking us through the menu in very slow Spanish for us to understand after realising we didn't speak much Spanish and he had no English. We were able to work out what we wanted from his descriptions though, and ordered what we thought was a glass of house white each when asked about drinks.

A few minutes later he came back with a bottle. Oh well, we thought, it was our first morning in Barcelona; we may end up paying a little more, but we should manage. The daily tapas dishes arrived very soon as well, with my girlfriend opting for mussels and the paella for me. For a tapas starter, they were huge - really big portions, and so tasty. Easily, I could say, this was one of the best paellas I have ever eaten. Perfectly spiced and with a nice mixture of everything inside - topped off by a few mussels and a huge tiger prawn. My girlfriend's mussels plate was as big as some would serve as a main course - and again really tasty in a delicious white wine and garlic marinade.

When the main courses arrived, I admit I felt a little bit disappointed by the appearance of mine, which the waiter had described as "a dish with ham and cheese" - it came more as a pork cutlet with cheese inside, feeling much more like something I would eat in Poland than in Spain. It was tasty enough, but I would order something else next time. The daily stew that my girlfriend ordered was a lot tastier, with a good onion-filled gravy with a hint of tomato that reminded me of a Hungarian gulyas. I would say that the tapas starter dishes were a lot better than the main courses, but there is nothing about the main courses at all that would prevent me from eating here again.

The bill came quickly after we asked for it, once we had spent almost an hour finishing up the wine bottle. We were shocked to read it and be charged just the €10 for the set menu; the wine bottle was included! So for the taste and quality of the food, as well as portion size, this place was already a firm favourite - but to include a bottle of house wine on the business lunch price was an act that would make this restaurant my favourite we tried in Barcelona. It costs a little more on the weekend and evenings, I believe, but at €10 a head this was certainly excellent value, and delicious food.

Date of visit: November 2018
1  Thank Similtiades

Reviewed November 23, 2017 via mobile

We shared 1 menu between 2 of us and it was more than enough! The paella was really good and the french fries were fresh and with a perfect grilled calamar. The staff was nice and helpful! We paid 12 euros at all and we were full!

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed October 7, 2017

Cesare form Italy and Ramon from Salvador are the kind owners of this hidden jewel in Barcelona. Do not be worried if it is not very full in the evenings (but at lunch better to book a table). The Paella is AMAZING as well as all the tapas. We have been 3 evenings on the four we spend in Barcelona. Even house wine is great ( but try also the wine list).
Per gli italiani ( spero che Cesare non me ne vorrà): se volete incontrare il sosia di Albanese, dovete incontrare Cesare

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed August 28, 2017 via mobile

I was at dinner and had an amazing one! I had superb paella, shrimps and razor shells were amazingly good. All accompained with a bottle of Rioja azabache reserva red wine suggested from Cesare. And Fair prices! Highly recommended.

Date of visit: August 2017
1  Thank Luca_Sonello
Reviewed June 7, 2017 via mobile

I had an amazing lunch in Oliveta, sea food are perfect with wine and later coffee. It only cost 9.5Euro. Cheap and tasty ! A nice start in Spain!

Date of visit: June 2017