“Lovely, Low-Key, Good Food”
Review of Hisop

Hisop
Ranked #764 of 10,483 Restaurants in Barcelona
Cuisines: Spanish, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Hisop, the love child of two former Neichel chefs, Oriol Ivern and Guillen Pla, is slightly beyond the Eixample district, and their cuisine is slightly beyond the normal boundaries, as well. The restaurant itself is somewhat monastic with high ceilings and test-tube vases on white walls, each containing a single rose. Yet the ambience at Hisop is lighthearted and relaxed. The dishes are small, intensely flavoured and beautifully presented. The menu is misleadingly simple, 'squab' might be squab with pear puree and tomato confit served with a selection of three different salts and five different peppers. Great carte includes many wines of the region.
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We enjoyed our dinner here very much. It's a simple-modern, small place. They seem to have lots of repeat customers and given the quality/price ratio, I can see why. The atmosphere is relaxed and unpretentious and the food is good. As long as you're not hoping to be "wowed", you will love it. We both ordered the tasting menu with wine pairings. They stir you away from ordering a la carte. There were lots of courses (12-15), but they are small. You will not walk away hungry. While all of it was good, I sometimes felt like it was too repetitive. I realize the menu is seasonal and reflects what is in season, but I would have liked to see more variety of flavors. We also felt a little rushed (others might like the very attentive pace). Nice waitresses. It was a enjoyable evening for us but it wasn't excellent.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

I have been traveling in Spain with my couple during the last 3 weeks and we have visited some of the best restaurants in Pais Vasco, Catalunya, etc. We love spanish food and gastronomic restaurants. And I must say that Hisop was one of our best choices during the holidays.

We ordered the tasting menu and the food was excellent: the starter was a surprising combination of anchovy, pear and sichuan pepper, followed by a fondue of hermesenda cheese and mushrooms. I must say that I had never tasted the pork's feet before, but combined with apple matched perfectly. The rice was amazing, impeccably accompanied with crawfish and bacon foam. Grilled fish with cod guts and artichokes was delicious. The last dish was lamb with mushrooms and oysters, a little bit shocking at the beginning but it resulted an absolutely great combination. The wine pairing recommended by the staff was also excellent, and also the cheese selection, although unfortunately I was too full to enjoy it properly!
The chocolate desert was terrific (even if I am not really a chocolate person!).

The last surprise was the excellent price for such an amazing dinner. I really recommend this restaurant for everyone visiting Barcelona. We'll come back for sure next time!

Reviewed November 11, 2012

First time here with business colleagues. We had lots to discuss which may have extended the evening a little, but th staff were very patient with us. We went with the tasting menu and maridaje of wines, which were paired very well.
I'm a big fan of this gastronomy and it was very good. Service was excellent and we all enjoyed our meal. If I make comparisons to other similar restaurants in the city I'd have to say not quite as memorable....but great value.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

very small place, very small plates, food was good on most of the tasting dishes, some were a bit bland. excellent choice of wines, great desert. be ready to pay dearly for mini-courses, as you should know when booking this type of molecular-gastronomic restaurants. wish i could say it was excellent, but it wasnt. service was very good.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

We had the most amazing meal with such lovely service here during our time in Barcelona.We did the tasting menu which was very kindly adjusted for one of our group who had a special food request. The room is somewhat stark, but the staff is very kind and the food is delicious. It does have a modern sensibility, but without losing the warmth and satisfaction of more traditionally prepared food.