“Surprisingly” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Asador de Aranda

Asador de Aranda
Reserve with
Asador de Aranda is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #389 of 9,316 Restaurants in Barcelona
Cuisines: Spanish, Grill
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Drinks, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: A space for the enjoyment of gastronomy and culture. In a modernist house in the upper part of Barcelona, you can taste the authentic baby lamb roasted in a wood oven accompanied with some of our delicious vegetables and natural products, respecting their authenticity. Kid-friendly restaurant. Gay-friendly restaurant. Halal cuisine. Outdoor terrace. We accept orders to take-away. private rooms where you can organize any type of event, whether family or corporate. Valet parking. Adapted for disabled access. Restaurant capacity 400 seats.
“Surprisingly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

I am rather picky and always suspicious with the hype around Barcelona's culinary institutions (old or new) but I was positively surprised by the place. First the building is totally amazing (I love modernism!). Then though not cheap nor refined the food was satisfying (I love lamb!) and as we were offered a glass of cava, a chupito and a lot of biscuits/sweets, at the end it was not a bad deal at all. We paid 25-30 euros per head for a main dish but it was plenty of food.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

• Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Liverpool
“Great food marred by appalling service.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

A bizarre experience. We visit Barcelona every year and have passed El Asador de Aranda many times. I wanted to take my husband for his 60th birthday and spent a long time trawling the reviews on Tripadvisor. They're certainly mixed. My main issue was that I couldn't find accurate information about prices - didn't want to get there and then find it was beyond us! Some reviews say very expensive and others reasonable. The restaurant, unhelpfully, does not display prices on its website. Here you are - the cheapest menu is €39.50 per person. This includes starters, main lamb, dessert, bottle of wine, glass of cava each and a small liqueur. There are several other menus upto about €60 which include additional platters of Spanish cured meats etc.
We booked online for 8.30. Beware! Booking times are available from 7 but as we found on arrival, the restaurant doesn't open until 9pm. A mistake that needs fixing. If we had read our confirmation email carefully we would have seen our time had been changed from our 8.30 request to 9, but this wasn't flagged up. We just hopped on a passing bus and had a drink higher up the road by the funicular - amazing night time views over Barcelona - we'll go again. Walked back down for 9.
The building is amazing, stunning, beautiful. I walked through it mesmerised. Yes, the first person we spoke to was surly, but we were prepared for that thanks to Tripadvisor. Initially he couldn't find our booking, but eventually he did, filed under my husnand's first name. We were shown to the second floor into what I assume was the room an earlier reviewer walked out of. Drab, boring, characterless. Strange in such an amazing place. There are lots of different dining rooms, but I have a feeling that guests are placed depending on their appearance or nationality - mostly British in our room.
We read the menus, no set menu. We asked for them politely and after ten minutes they were FLUNG onto the table in front of us. We were so stunned we started laughing. Anyway, we took the cheapest set menu -in total €80. We thought the food was excellent, but if like us, this meal is to be an expensive, special occasion, then good food is not necessarily enough. We were served by several different waiters, all of them indifferent and surly. When I tried to engage one of them and tell him this was my husband's 60th birthday meal he shrugged and made no comment (and I was speaking Spanish!
The glasses of cava and liqueurs arrived halfway through the meal, just plonked on the table and left. Very unSpanish. Being invited to take a liqueur by a beaming waiter is usually a highlight of a meal in Spain.
I must repeat that we thought the food was very good. The starter of meats. Accurately described as looking like pork scratching by a previous reviewer were delicious as was the lamb (even though I agree with a previous post that it did look a bit like road kill).
If you are wealthy go and make your own mind up. If you are not their are plenty of other places in Barcelona that will appreciate your custom far more than El Asador de Aranda. I wonder if the owner knows how ordinary customers are treated. I notice their are no responses to any reviews.

3 Thank erliverpool
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

We were told it was the best place in Bcn for meat, but it turned out to be not good at all. The meat instead of juicy and tasty it was overcooked. We ordered their speciality "cochinillo" which is basically a young pork whose meat is supposed to melt in your mouth and the skin should be crunchy. That mean had none of these characteristics...

2 Thank TanitC85
Barcelona, Spain
“Wham lamb, thank you ma'am”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

We dined at the restaurant for lunch on Christmas Day where there was a three course set menu for 45 euro per head which included a bottle of wine and a glass of cava. The starters consisted of Iberico ham, sausage, something akin to black pudding and something else akin to lamb scratchings.

The main course was lamb cooked in two different ways: chops served on their own little fire and a leg of lamb slow roasted. The food was good but very, very salty - even the salad (which was the only accompaniment).

Pudding was a filo pasty and custard slice and a selection of seasonal puddingy nibbles, served with a digestif and coffee if so desired.

The restaurant was set up for big parties, as it was Christmas Day, and the service was very good but we did feel they were hurrying us a little between courses: we were only in the restaurant for just over an hour from start to finish.

I would return on a more "normal" day (or perhaps try one of the other restaurants more in the centre) in the hope that things were a little more relaxed and they were a little less heavy handed on the salt, as the venue is special and the meat was of a high quality.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Izmir, Turkey
“Nice decoration, friendly service, and good food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

El Asador De Aranda is not in the center, however worth to take the metro line 7, or a taxi to try their delicious lamb with great wines.

• 5 of 5 bubbles