“Mixed feelings”

Ranked #1,765 of 11,780 Restaurants in Barcelona
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: El Born / La Ribera
Reviewed April 12, 2019

I reserved table in La Carassa after reading very positive comments on Tripadvisor, so I was pretty sure it was the right choice for a dinner with an old friend.
The situation of the restaurant - hidden in a narrow street in the Born area - was promising, the welcome of the owner very friendly, and being placed to a table in the upper floor - the ground floor was full -, where we were alone, also confirmed my good sensations.
Anyway the position of the table was probably wrong for a person with my nose: every time they cooked any food with a strong flavor, it came through the smoke extraction system upstairs, and when they grilled some prawns, the flavor was really disgusting.
Fortunately it was at the end of the second course, so I paid and run away from the venue.
Thus my first advice is asking for a table on the ground floor.
About the food, we asked first for a Hoffman salad, and it was great.
We asked also for a cheese fondue, because it seemed the speciality of the restaurant.
The cheese was great, but the dressing quite poor: a small dish of cherry tomatoes, a small dish of mushrooms, one small potato sliced, and a HUGE tray of bread crumbs.
For drinking I ordered a bottle of cava Sogas Macaró, and it was really a great choice.
The deco of the restaurant is really special: some kind of jumble of surrealism art from the 60's, but everything looked pretty shabby, so I'm sure it was decorated on the 60's and never else refurbished: by the way, the set of the fondue was also shabby.
So it's a good place for a romantic dinner, where you focus on the person in front of you, but for any other kind of meal, when you are able to take a look at what's around you, you'd better go with a group of people, so at least you can make fun of it and spend an amusing night.
Probably it's that kind of restaurant you can't find anywhere else, so it's a hidden gem for the visitors from abroad.
Anyway for a person born in Barcelona and accustomed to the standards of Catalan cuisine and restaurants, it's no so.

Date of visit: April 2019

Reviewed July 23, 2018 via mobile

Walk past this very unassuming restaurant, we were looking for tapas but were surprised with fondue ! Omg what a pleasant change the food was delicious ,lots of yummy sauces with meat and seafood
Refreshing sangria and fantastic service
Try it

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed May 6, 2018

A magic restaurant in the heart of Barcelona specialized in fondues. Its owners gave the place a theatrical barroque atmosphere that still keeps its magic, specially for a romantic sharing dinner with a little candle light. Food is delicious specially the meat fondue (with boiling oil pot) and the cheese fondues, and desserts.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed January 17, 2018

I was first at this restaurant during a visit to Barcelona 20 years ago! Our return visit was a delight, and I'm very happy to recommend this charming place. The decor is quite wonderful and unique, and the food and service top notch. Our waiter was so charming, and dinner was delicious. The cava was inexpensive and very more-ish too! I'm looking forward to the next time. Thank you!

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed January 4, 2018 via mobile

Dinner for 3 me and my friends we got 2 beef fondue and 2 cheese fondue and i have to say that everything was superb.
The service was really good the waiter was an Argentinian guy that was kind.
Location amazing the atmosphere really really special.
I really suggest this restaurant.
Well done