“BE WARNED!!!”

Neighborhood: Gracia
Dublin
“BE WARNED!!!”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

My partner and I dived in here to get out of the rain and have a quick lunch. We sat down, ordered wine and asked for the menu. The place is beautiful and the wine was lovely but PLEASE read on and do not fall for the serious scam we then experienced!

The maitre d' came over and, once ascertaining we were tourists and didn't speak Spanish, told us that there are no menus, HE was the menu and would help us chose our food. I was delighted not to have to figure out what dishes were vegetarian so, happily we let him suggest some small plates. When he got to 3 plates, I stopped him for a minute as they sounded extravagant, we weren't out for a fancy meal nor were we that hungry. He laughed and said we couldn't possibly just eat 3 plates, they're smaller than tapas, we'd need 6+ for a meal....I started to feel uneasy and just asked him if he could tell us, at this point how much this would cost.

This is when things turned nasty! He said he couldn't possibly estimate the bill. I said we couldn't order without knowing the prices, so he reluctantly said he'd go off and work it out. He came back a while later and said, €86!!! for 3 tiny dishes, 2 of which were vegetarian. How can some salad and an egg possibly cost this much?!! In Barcelona?!

We were SO lucky to avoid being conned like some of the other posters below, we felt sick when we got back to our hotel and looked this place up on trip advisor. I'm not sure of the legality of not openly disclosing prices in restaurants in Spain, but certainly in Ireland what this guy is doing is illegal.

When I challenged him about the dishes and the outrageous prices, the maitre d' waived smugly at a blackboard in Spanish with some dishes and prices listed. I don't know how a couple of salads and tuna dish amounted to that much, there was only maybe one dish listed over €30. I told him how disgusted I was at his deceit, that it was unfair to tourists and gave a really bad impression of Barcelona but he shrugged it off.

Obviously we paid for our wine (€5.50 a glass for the house red, in Barcelona, come on!!) and got charged another €5 for about 8 olives (we assumed they were complimentary) and some bread that they refused to bring as we wouldn't stay for lunch. We were lucky to leave with a bill of just €16, for 2 drinks.....

Even without the scam we experienced, those kind of prices belong in London etc. you can do SO much better in Barcelona. Try Placa Reale instead for some nice smart restaurants, without being hustled!

• Visited January 2013
9 Thank DublinMelissa

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Big Dissapointment”
Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

Very expensive and the food was a dissapointment. The waiter kept trying to push the most expensive plates and wine. We were a group of nine and ordered 7 different plates (in double portions) plus dessert. Only one of the plates, the calamari was outstanding. In a city known for its great cusine and tapas, this has not been by any means a memorable experience if not only for being one of the most expensive tapas.

3 Thank Carlos147320
MILANO
“Second time at Bar Mut: always good but now overpriced!”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Just got back from Barcelona and, given my first experience there, I went back to Bar Mut. The food was good although a little inconsistent: the egg carpaccio and beef with fois gras were excellent but the crab cakes (with bechamelle and wasabi) and the seafood were just ok. We were two people, had two dishes each (one will not fill you unless you're a child or a female model), 5 glasses of house wine, two after-dinner drinks and two desserts for a total of 180 euros! For that kind of money, in Barcelona, you can get better food: sorry!
P.S.
We ordered our night cup around midnight fifteen (our reservation was for 10.30) and, only 15 minutes after serving us, the waiters started (kindly, at least) tellng us it was closing time. To me, that's too close to rude: if you're closing, don't serve me. If you do, wait for me to finish my drink.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank sciattilio
London, United Kingdom
“150 euros 55 minutes”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I live in London and have been travelling to Barcelona for over 20 years and no doubt the food is one of the main reasons that this is one of the world's great cities. It's usually tough to have a bad meal but Bar Mut roundly bucks that trend. We arrived for our 8.30 booking and left 55 minutes later and 150 euros poorer (5 plates of tapas, 2 vermouths and 2 small glasses of wine). We were hustled into ordering quickly what turned out to be the most expensive items by a maitre d' whose smugness was only matched by his hutzpah. We were patronised and when we complained about the meal and the service there seemed not to be one shred of remorse. One classic moment was when my wife's plate was removed whilst her fork was moving toward her mouth. The venue is a pastiche of everything that is good in a catalan tapas bar and has the nerve to charge at least double if not treble the going rate. Go to Paco Meralgo, El Quim or one of the hundreds of fair and historic bars. AVOID AVOID AVOID.

• Visited December 2012
8 Thank Forsabarca
Exeter, New Hampshire
“The Best Meal in Barcelona”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Most tourists go for tapas on La Rambla, but if you want very special tapas and great service, you must go to Bar Mut in the L'Eixammple neighborhood (Diagnal stop). The owner, who is local but lived in Atlanta for 7 years, was a great guy and a lot of funto chat with at your table. More than that, we gave him free reign to serve us, as he put it, "the kind of tapas my grandmother would serve", and it was even better than my grandmother's! Everthing from grilled meats, fish, and squid, to wonderful cheeses, olives, and fresh vegtables. His wine selections of local Spanish wine was superb. Yes, I dropped a lot of $$ for both of us, but afterall, this was our vacation and my palate was very pleased and the memory of our favorite meal will last a lifetime!

• Visited November 2012