“Good Food, Pricey”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Gracia
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I had a similar experience to some of the other reviewers where the host just suggested what I should order, with no reference to prices, and I landed up with an expensive bill to pay. That being said, I don't think he was out to trick me into ordering the most expensive things. He is genuinely enthusiastic about the food they serve and recommends his favorite dishes based on what you eat/don't eat.
I was eating alone and he suggested half portions of three dishes which left me contently full: The fried egg carpaccio, baby clams, and steak with foie gras (cooked). All three were absolutely delicious, and i enjoyed every bite! I ended my meal with a blood orange sorbet which was a great palate cleanser at the end of a big meal.
I just had the house wine, but they are also known for having a great wine collection.

All in all, if you are comfortable with a pricey meal (considering its bar atmosphere), Bar Mut is definitely worth it. Also personally I appreciated the host recommending dishes to me, it allowed me to completely give in to the Bar Mut experience, and not have to think about a thing except good food and good wine.

Oh also you have to make a reservation. I suspect they do two rounds of seatings at 8:30 and 10:00 pm

Write a ReviewReviews (1,150)

Reviewed November 29, 2012

Found the place by just bumping into in in a quest for a dinner. Place was fully booked but the waiter offered us 2 reserved seats at the bar. The manager (or owner) made his suggestions which we followed. Great food, vey friendly service. Not cheap but a very bright experience.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

For our last night in Barcelona, we decided to try Bar Mut, which a friend had recommended. The moment we sat down, there were two signs something was wrong. The first was that moments after being seated outside, since nothing inside was available, we were informed of how long we had before our table would need to be given up, and that at that point the staff would "do their best" to give us a different table but couldn't guarantee there would be anywhere to sit. Then the manager sat with us and forced us to agree to a set menu of "amazing" tapas items that he selected for us. No menu, no prices. We foolishly went along with this.

The first item to arrive was the clam dish. The server informed us that only four clams were remaining, and that the other clams of the 6 clam plate had been substituted with prawns. We started on the clams and found that they did not taste right at all - they were not fresh and had a bad aftertaste. The remaining dishes failed to impress us, and when we were handed the bill, we discovered that the clam tapas carried a price tag of 32 euros.

This is insane to begin with, but there was no way were going to pay 32 euros for 6 clams when we only received 4. We complained to the server who took the bill and went and fetched the manager. We repeated what the server had told us about there not being enough clams. The manager told us that the servers don't know what they are talking about. We complained that we were not able to see the prices, since there was no menu. He pointed into the restaurant, to a chalkboard hung above the bar. I asked him to show me the item in question on the chalkboard. He was apparently surprised that he couldn't do this. We asked him to reduce the price of our bill but he refused, and in the end simply walked away, and had a different server bring us the identical bill again, which we paid much to our chagrin.

A very bad experience. Arrogant service, seafood that was not fresh, and an extremely unwelcoming environment for first time patrons. It's difficult to know when to pay attention to negative restaurant reviews. This is one you should pay attention to. Ignore the positive reviews and don't go to Bar Mut.

10  Thank Erik A
Reviewed November 25, 2012

visited this place after a preference was closed as it was Sunday.There is no menu so took the waiters advice on choice.we had 4 half portions of dishes as recommended and although theyes where ok felt totally ripped off when the bill came at 121 euro with just 4 beers.Avoid this place as loads of equally good places to eat at a fraction of the price.

3  Thank karen b
Reviewed November 23, 2012

This place has a terrible food and extremely high prices. They don't have a written menu and their trick is to recommend you the most expensive dishes without letting you know the prices.
We paid about 130 Euros ($170) for a 2 person tapas meal, definitely not the best we had. The entrecote steak we had smelled like gasoline, was hard and very fatty. The egg carpaccio was extremely salty and the tomato bread felt like it was yesterday's leftovers.
2 much better places to eat are "Tapas 24" and "Ciutat Comtat". Don't waste your time and money on Bar Mut.

9  Thank kto190725