“Average tapas, even though loved by tourists, I get the impression it is a bit of a Tourist Trap!”
Review of La Bombeta

La Bombeta
Ranked #273 of 10,019 Restaurants in Barcelona
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Barceloneta
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I was really excited to eat authentic tapas in Barcelona and after reading great TA reviews, decided to visit La Bombeta on Saturday night.
I liked the fact that it´s loved by locals, no thrills, no credit cards accepted and the quirky signs on the wall the that read “We don´t have Wi-Fi, talk amongst yourselves” - I thought were a cool touch.
However, in regards to food, I felt a bit ripped off. We ordered 4 small croquettes, 2 “Bombas”, a salad, patatas bravas, kalamari, bread and the sausage and bean dish. I had a glass of Rioja and my partner a Coca-Cola.
The croquettes were nice and not sickly, the bombas okay but I was expecting them to be a lot better, salad was an average attempt, the bravas not crispy like they should be, the calamares– big disappointment, lacked freshness and were fried in BATTER!! Yuck, yuck, yuck! – I´m Greek-Cypriot and this is NOT how you make fried calamares! – The sausage came last, a 15 minutes after we finished our meal, after one bite, I got the impression it was very cheap meat as it had grizzle, bones and lumps of fat in it.
The crema catalan was good and tasted how it is meant to.
Service was fairly unfriendly and slow.
My verdict is, there are SO many nice places to eat in Barcelona, and this is certainly not worth wasting an evening of your trip and for the money (That little lot cost just over 50 euros!!), you can eat somewhere a lot better for cheaper- maybe just go for a Bomba and a caña!

Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

You must taste the sea food here especialy the octopus was great, the portions are big so take care how much do you order and the prices are resonable

Reviewed February 1, 2014

It was our last night at Barcelona before returning to the US. A group of friends visited Jai-Ca (one block away) first. We were full already, but I mentioned that there's another tapas bar a block away that had very good reviews, friend said that we should go afterwards. All of us were so glad we came. The atmosphere here was great. We were all full, but we ate and ate!! The La Bomba (the potato bomb), and the octopus (Pulpo a la Gallega) were excellent. Reasonably priced too. Of all the tapas bars we visited on this trip, this is one of my favorite!

Reviewed January 26, 2014

One of the places where we go now and then for some typical seafood.
Nice (but a bit noisy) atmosphere. Good food. Reasonable prices. Friendly service. And they don't close between lunch and dinner, so this is a perfect place to stop by after a walk along the sea.
You can't reserve tables in advance, but need to show up and talk to the personnel in order to register in the queue.
Oh, and payment is cash only. And forget about going here a Wednesday. That's their day off.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Based on a recommendation I visited with my wife and two adult sons on a Sunday afternoon at 1600 and we were lucky to have got in. Packed with local people the place was buzzing. The waiter made us welcome from the outset and was very attentive. The menu was extensive and included most typical tapas. However, the quality of the food was superb. For example the patatas bravas were hot and spicy, and the garlic prawns were large and succulent, in fact they were so good we ordered them a second time. We sampled many dishes and they were all excellent. Our glasses remained full of Estrella and after several leisurely hours of great company and superb food we left contented and satisfied. This is a lovely little tapas restaurant, basic furnishings, but the finest quality food and service. The price too was very reasonable.