“False advertising and rude staff” 1 of 5 bubbles

Pirineu en Boca Born
Ranked #1,704 of 9,317 Restaurants in Barcelona
Cuisines: Mediterranean, European, Spanish, Grill
Good for: Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: El Born / La Ribera
London, United Kingdom
“False advertising and rude staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

We stumbled upon this restaurant after walking all the way to Picnic to find it closed on Mondays (our mistake!) and decided, with a range of vegetarian pickings that we would try it.

The waiter was very friendly and helpful when we were asking how the menu worked and were making our selections. We ordered a range of tapas included the sea bream with lemon dressing and salad. All of our tapas were quite nice and we were looking forward to our fish.

When we received it, it looked nothing like the menu card, being the fish on the menu was filleted - which was why we ordered it. What we received was a whole, uncleaned fish, bones intact and eyeballs present. We sat there looking at it for a minute and I decided to have a look at the menu card again to make sure it was a fillet we were looking at.

I got the waiters attention and casually explained that we didn't realise it was a whole fillet as the menu card has a photo of something entirely different. The previously nice waiter immediately snapped, told me I was wrong and didn't know how to order properly. I kept insisting that what we had on our plates was not the picture in the menu. He finally cut me off and yelled at me to order something else. He came over and took my plate away, which then my boyfriend said that he was not going to eat it either. The waiter got even angrier saying that we had to pay, regardless and saying he would only change one. We persisted in saying we weren't paying for it and he finally said he'd bring the check over, pretty much telling us to leave.

We didn't pay for the fish dishes (I think mainly because my boyfriend looks a bit mean and was starting to get angry!) but still was an expensive meal. Two sparking waters, a few slices of cheese and bread, a pizza looking thing with some chopped tomatoes on it and a bowl of rice was almost 30 euros.

I hope this place goes bust or something as it's a nasty tourist trap and I completely understand why it's getting increased negative reviews.

• Visited December 2012

Brussels, Belgium
“Never left a restaurant before in my life...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

But here we did! Never ever in my life have I met staff as unfriendly and hostile as they are here!

My boyfriend and I went here on a monday, because we had seen it crowed everytime we came by. So it was this night. Next to our table was a group of tourists and that was where our bad experience started. They served some of the orderded food out to the group, but clearly the group didn't quite understand how it worked. Was this everything, did they have to share? Instead of explaining to them in a polite way how it works, the waitress literarly [--] at them how it was. The group looked a little bit shocked, but didn't say too much about it.

Now it was our turn, we orderd 2 tapas to start with and we always like to share. So when we asked for an extra plate the waitress threw an extra plate in the middle of the table while saying 'like this'? And not in a friendly way. The food was not very special, but ok, it happens.

After these two small bites we wanted to have another look in the menu, but the waiter already asked to bring us the desertmenu. Ok, no. So when we got the right menu we had a question about two different tapas, both including duck. We chose one, and when it finally arrived (20 min later), it was the wrong one. So we told the waitress, but she told us this was what we orderded and if not, then we said it wrong. Excuse me? She called for her boss and again blamed us for the wrong serving. It was really the world turned upside down. We told them we didn't want this or the other one anymore and asked for the check. Waited for a minimum of 20 minutes again. (the wrong menu still laying on our table) The 'boss' asked if we wanted our check, like we didn't ask for it before. And when he gave it to us he told us, as if he was doing us a favor, that he didn't put the wrong tapa on the check. Well, thanks for that!

Like I've said, I've never left a restaurant before in my life and I really love going out for diner. The food was not so good, but the way we where treated was undescribable. Luckily we'd had some really good days in Barcelona before this evening, because this really left a bitter taste...

• Visited March 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Simone1787
Stockholm, Sweden
“Good values for a good price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

The chicken I had there is the best chicken I've ever had. I'd recommend everyone to go there, partly for the eco-thinking.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Toronto
“Catalonia Duck”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

Had a beautifully fresh, delicious salad with anchovies, and a Catalonia duck and pear dish that was. sweet, but not too sweet, very nice flavour. Piece of chocolate orange cake at the end of the meal a let down in both flavour and texture, otherwise a very nice meal and pleasant atmosphere.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Luxembourg
“Delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Super delicious and well located for the rest of the evening to quickly reach bars. It is not the typical tapas industry restaurant. The plates are original and very tasty. Ask them how "many" to take as some are quite big. 3 mini-plates will do I reckon. Excellent choice of wine. Very friendly !! A MUST!!

Visited May 2012