“Paid suffocation”
Review of Hotel Ciutat Vella

Hotel Ciutat Vella
Ranked #220 of 517 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Possibly the worst experience of my life. Internal room with no ventilation making it difficult to breathe and no way to cool down the room without opening the front door. The extractor fan in the bathroom would keep coming on in the middle of the night in an attempt to cool the room down. Staff not interested to help and it was quite obvious they had had this complaint before. Even the cleaning ladies knew there was a problem with the room. Finally, on our last day the head of reception could see it was making us quite ill and transferred us to the sister hotel to a bigger room with windows and a ventilation system. Never again would I book this hotel!!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank LucyT1979

Reviewed December 1, 2012

I was traveling with my friend and we were not complaining from the hotel despite the fact that
1. our room was overlooking the inside of the hotel, and as we found out these rooms do not have ventilation system at all!!!! therefore in November month it was soooo hot in our room.......
2. the reception area and the breakfast room is in the same area!!!! even if it is 3* hotel, these 2 areas should be different!!!!! at least from the point of ethic.....

But we were trying to ignore these facts and enjoy our stay in Barcelona...

During the last night happened what happened!!!!! In the dark of the room I heard some noise, first I thought that somebody is trying to open the door of the room.... I switch on the light and the noise stopped. So I decided to switch off the light and sleep..... after a minute I heard sound like 'BZZZZ' near my ear and when I look on my pillow......... I saw a rather big black insect...
this was a real shock for me! and when I run out of my room at 4am and went to reception, explained all this to the receptionist I felt that I am not the first person staying in this hotel who meet an insect in the bed!!! the receptionist was very quiet and offered me a new room for the night... thanks god that this was my last night in this hotel.....

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Gohar K
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Situated between plaza universidad/ catalunya/ la rambla. Only minutes from all main tourist areas, buses, metro. Excellent location for shops, eating out and partying! Close to main gay nightlife! Hotel chic, comfy beds and well maintained! Would definitely use again!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel. We were only here for 1night before getting on a cruise. The location was just close enough to Las Ramblas, Catalunya Plaza, and the metro - about a 5-10 minute walk. The room was clean, modern, and served it's purpose. Two elevators ensured no waiting. The bottled water was a bonus. The staff was friendly and helpful. The large map on the wall was also very helpful. Unfortunately, we did not have the opportunity to use the rooftop whirlpool, though it looked very inviting. We would not hesitate to stay here again if ever in Barcelona.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Donnie T
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Located in very close to everything. easy to find. short walk from the plaza.
Nice room. Basic but VERY clean. free bottled water all day. 24h reception.
Very helpful staff

Cannot ask for more !

Some wrote some comments about noise. We never used our ear plugs... (!)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for one night before heading to the Costa Brava. Rooms are clean and modern, but somewhat sterile. You do get unlimited supply of free bottled water, which is nice. Main issue was terrible service at any price - staff was unfriendly and did not make the slightest effort to help us with the most basic information. You felt crazy for asking. Terrible.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Hotel Ciutat Vella is very very well-located; 5 min. walk to reach Plaza Catalunya, 5 min. walk to reach El Raval; next to the Airport Bus stop (Universidad).

The lobby communicated a fresh and young atmosphere at the first sight - perhaps a blend between a boutique and a youth hotel. The bedroom was fine, clean and spacious, although it looked empty and cold with linoleum on the floor (disliked). We had a very nice terrasse (1st floor). The service is also cold and distant - not personalized at all.

Free bottles of water at the reception, no swimming pool but jacuzzi on the rooftop terrasse.

I would come back to this hotel for its good location and reasonnable prices. However, if I decide to go for a fancy weekend in Barcelona I'd chose another option.

Room Tip: 1st floor, ask for a room with terrasse