“Dreary”
Review of Venus Delicatessen

Venus Delicatessen
Ranked #1,892 of 9,923 Restaurants in Barcelona
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Barrio Gotico (Barri Gotic)
Description: With love
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We popped in here on Saturday night around 10.30. That's when the Spanish like to eat. It looked busy and without checking Tripadvisor first we took a punt. Not that it would've helped as most of the reviews are pretty good.

Perhaps I'm a bit hard as I'm not a big fan of Spanish food it mostly seems a bit......er crap, sorry.

I've eaten in the most expensive places in Spain and everything in between and its all really rather dreary and I'm afraid that's exactly what we got here. Reheated potatoes some cooked meat cut and put on a plate (where's the skill there?) And that terrible thing they do with perfectly acceptable bread...spreading it with tasteless tomato paste and leaving it to go mushy for hours.

On the plus side it was fairly cheap and the staff were very nice.....a bit grubby, dirty old t shirts and frayed jumpers but the ambiance was good. All in all not a disaster, but I think next time I'll just order a drink and leave it at that.

(we were killing time before going up to the Harlem Jazz club just round the corner which was fantastic)

There are newer reviews for Venus Delicatessen

Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stumbled across this place with no plans or reviews to prejudge, and were glad we did. The tomato bread was excellent, and the various small plates we had were wonderful. Meat and cheese platters and a very reasonably priced wine made for a really pleasant late and lazy lunch.

A good mix of locals popping in for a drink and people eating snacks with a pleasant atmosphere and friendly staff.

One to bear in mind if wandering down Las Ramblas as while not on the main strip it is merely steps away, and far superior to the tourist traps there.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

Found this restaurant via Lonely Planet's Pocket Barcelona book and some stumbling around. The staff are great, lending a happily chaotic feel to the place. Portions are on the small side for a trencherman like me but the quality was there in my stuffed chicken which I fully recommend. Well worth turning off La Ramblas to experience people working hard to promote authentic food.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone and mind you I love to eat and praise good restaurants and I'm only writing my first review to warn people before they dine here.

2  Thank Thehustle
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We went there after trailing around wondering where to go.. It is located on a good corner near Las Ramblas.
Staff were ok. The menu wasn't all that inspiring but the food was OK in the end, however, the portions were small and light apart from the pan con tomate which was quite nice so I ended up filling myself up on bread in the end!
I'm sure there are better places to go to!