“The best meal in Barcelona”
Review of Passadis del Pep

Passadis del Pep
Ranked #1,050 of 10,019 Restaurants in Barcelona
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: El Born / La Ribera
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My friend and I considered ourselves very lucky to have the dinner at this restaurant. We enjoyed every dish and consider this is one of the best meals we have ever had. The service was actually not bad and the food was simply superb. The bill was about Euro215 for two, including some extra Iberico ham I ordered. We will soon come back to Barcelona to dine in this wonderful restaurant again.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

I don't know what criteria are emplyed by some number of your contributors but I imagine price must be a major factor. My wife and I have eaten at Lucas Carton, tour D'Argent, Le Bernardin, Aureole (when Charlie Palmer was still cooking there) the Inn at Little Washington, Chez Pannise, Il genoa in 1977 and 1998.

I cooked with Dione Lucas at the ginger Man in the late 1960's and many of my friends are spectacular cooks as well. ALl that said, todays early dinner at Passadis del Pep was one of the 10 best meals I have ever eaten. My wife, with a strong mind of her own, does not disagree. the only thing shocking about this 10 or so course meal with 2 bottles of excellent cava, was a bill for slightly over 200 Euros. I thought they must have missed something. We would have considered another 100 euro on the bill quite reasonable. We are planning to fly back with our two youngest sons as soon as they can get away to have a family meal (or two) in this spectacular restaurant.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

This is an off shoot of Cal Pep, another good catalan restaurant. However its formula is a bit testing...no menu...seven courses over which you have little control...and a rather off hand staff who are not very welcoming. It is also very expensive for what you get. However, what you do get is an excellent assortment of seafoods cooked with a fair amount of salt and olive oil...if you're early you will probably not get vegetables...a penalty for the non Catalans perhaps. The Cigalas, Gambas and Chipiron are excellent, but you can get the same for one tenth of the price in La Boqueteria market. The "free" liquor and cava are great but priced through the other dishes. Nice room at the end of a passage with no signage, lots of local characters and character...an experience but an expensive one without any gastronomic advantage over other options.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Based on a close friend's recommendation and confirmed by the reviews here, our group of six feasted here last night. This place is for you if: You want to experience the very best seafood that Catalonia and nearby seas can offer (squid, prawns, sea snails, clams, crayfish, lobster, and much more); you want to place yourself in the hands of the kitchen and wait staff and let them deliver the wonders to you; you don't need a dimly lit room, fancy linens, and formal service to tell you that you are at the top spot in Barca; you appreciate food prepared with just enough of a human touch to let the fresh flavors of the sea dominate, not sauces or complicated preparations; you want to laugh, create memories with friends, and feel at home, even though home might be half a world away; and, you don't mind paying for the experience. For us, that experience meant about 10 courses to share (I lost count), about three hours (which went quickly) and with cava and wines and after dinner drinks (an assortment of bottles and chilled shot glasses placed on your table with some special cookies and the best crema catalana) -- about US$150 per person. In my mind, a bargain.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Wonderful staff and very accommodating to allergies and one meat eater we had. Small charming atmosphere. Served us 7 or 8 course...all seafood or fish, and only one potato dish as a side. It was too oily and salty for most of our tastes though, which is why I give it only an above average rating. It was also very expensive.