“Disappointing paella”
Review of Los Caracoles

Los Caracoles
Reserve with
Los Caracoles is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #758 of 10,345 Restaurants in Barcelona
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Barrio Gotico (Barri Gotic)
Reviewed November 1, 2013

We had been told by a stateside friend before we left that this was the best paella in Barcelona. We saved it for our last night's dinner before coming home.
It was NOT the best paella we had in Barcelona, and we tried many places. The best we found was at Rosalert. Lots of seafood, and lots of seafood flavor in the rice, as opposed to Las Caracoles, which had very little seafood, actually: a couple of crawfish (which I could live without - more trouble than they're worth), a couple of mussels, 2 shrimp, and a clam.
I will say that we enjoyed the gazpacho immensely -- that's what preserves the stars we give it. Outstanding.
Service was so-so, but we weren't in a rush, so leisurely was OK.
Dessert: coconut gelato and creme caramel Catalan style (actually creme brulee). Can't go wrong with those two.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,022)

Reviewed October 31, 2013

I'm actually a bit surprised by the somewhat inconsistent reviews for Los Caracoles. I found this restaurant to be quite excellent with charming ambiance. I think it's an especially good choice if you are craving a traditional Spanish meal (as opposed to tapas). The history of the restaurant is amazing and the service was very good. This should be near the top of your restaurant list while you are in Barcelona.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

This was my third visit to Los Caracoles and I will keep going back! We had to wait for a table as it was extremely busy, but it was worth it. The restaurant itself is an amazing experience, you walk through the kitchen to get to the tables and as you do you experience the most amazing sights and smells. The walls are covered in photos and stories of visitors from over the years and the jamon hangs from the ceilings giving a very authentic, traditional feel.

There were 4 of us in our party and we all had very different meals, you must try the chicken at least once though and the sea food is amazing! All of us enjoyed the meal, the ambience and the service and would definitely go again.

1  Thank Hollyt70
Reviewed October 27, 2013

My first visit to Los Caracoles was in the summer of 1978. I was introduced to it by a good friend of mine, and was most impressed with it'
Each time I have returned to the City I make a point of dining there, and have always been satisfied with the quality of the food and the service provided.

3  Thank BillyTams
Reviewed October 26, 2013

On a recommendation by a Local, we arrived about 19:30 on a rainy Friday night when we were immediately seated. Of course with a name like this I had to have the Caracoles (snails) appetizer accompanied by a Main Course of Paella, my less daring Wife passed on the Appetizer & ordered the Daily Special of Chicken with Mushrooms, we both requested Bread with the Meal, which arrived promptly, fresh Rolls in the shape of a snail. When they state "ala Carte", they mean it, we were charged 1.94 Euros each for the rolls. We both ordered Iced Tea, which was a small chilled bottle of Nestea Iced Tea that came with 2 glasses with lemon & ice. After a 10-15 minute wait another Waiter arrived with our Main Course, I asked about the Appetizer, but he never returned. My Wife Loved the Chicken with Mushrooms, but the Paella did not Fare as Well. The pieces of ham were bitter & chewy, the rice dry, & the Seafood overcooked. When you have to wrestle the prawns out of the shell, there's not much prawn left. I tried to redeem the meal by requesting 2 orders of Creme Brulee, which the Waiter explained was Catalan style, after tasting, it had a bit more nutmeg than we're used to. I requested the Check & 10 minutes later, yet another Waiter arrived with the Check with a charge for the Appetizer. I explained I did indeed order them, but our Entrees arrived sans Appetizer. He than summoned the Manager, to whom I explained the same, he requested the Check, which he examined & left. Yet another Waiter appeared with the Appetizer removed from the Check. After reading all the positive Reviews on TripAdvisor we decided to give Los Caracoles another try, on another Friday night I again ordered the Snail Appetizer which arrived promptly after the Iced Tea & Snail shaped Rolls. It was a large Portion in a Brown Gravy, they were Excellent. This time, we both ordered the Chicken with Garlic & Mushrooms. The Chicken was Excellent smothered in the chicken gravy with Mushrooms. There was no Garlic flavor, I imagine the Cooks were not notified that Garlic was added to the Daily Special Menu. As yet, there were no losers in our Meals & we declined ordering Dessert while we were ahead, & stopped for Coco gelata while strolling La Rambla.This Restaurant built in 1835, is Loaded with Atmosphere. You are seated after walking through the Wood Fired Kitchen. Some railings have Snails carved onto the ends, there are old Family Photos & Paintings gracing the Walls & near the front entry are Chickens Roasting in the window. Being open 178 years, they must be doing something right!

2  Thank Steven E