“A huge decline”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Elche

Elche
Ranked #771 of 9,396 Restaurants in Barcelona
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Montjuic
London, England, United Kingdom
“A huge decline”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We were going to another restaurant in the area but found it closed so I remembered about Elche as I had been there several times years ago and always really enjoyed the different paellas. It used to be a bit warmer and more welcoming now it's more fancy but the big disappointment was the food. We ordered some starters to share which turned out to be boring and unimaginative. The romesco sauce accompanying some fresh onions was tasteless.
Three of us ordered paella and one meat canelons. When it arrived my friend was warned that the canelons plate was very hot and not to touch it but when he tried it the meat filling was cold and i mean fridge cold!! I told the waiter who got all defensive about it;he then took the plate and brought the same back a few minutes later.
The rice was ok but nothing out of this world like I remembered them and neither were the canelons so all in all a big disappointment. I won't be going back there any time soon.

• Visited December 2013

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
“If this the best Paella in Barcelona, I suggest that you eat Tapas!”
Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

Let me start by saying that there is nothing intrinsically wrong with this restaurant. We were in Barcelona for a couple of nights just prior to Christmas and wanted to try genuine paella.

Our research indicated that this was one of the best Paella restaurants in the area as advised by "foreverbarcelona.com" so we set off in great anticipation.

We are British and therefore tend to eat earlier than the locals, so we were at the door at 7pm when the place opened. The service was very good, we are allowed to sit at a table while they got themselves ready for the evening service, and in general I have no major complaints about almost every aspect of their offerings.

But this is review is all about their paella, and to be honest it was very disappointing.

Earlier the same evening we sat and watched a diner in one of the many tapas bars in the area, tucking into what looked a perfectly good paella crammed with chicken and seafood. This further heightened our expectation, because if this was a mere average paella, we could only imagine the treat that was in store for us!

We ordered the seafood only paella as my partner is a non meat eater. Our server recommended having the seafood in their shells as it enhanced the flavour. Instead of being crammed with seafood, to compensate for the lack of meat, there was one large prawn, one langoustine, a couple of muscles, and a few pieces of squid. A meagre catch by any standard, and nothing to get too excited about. I cannot help but feel this is not representative of a true Spanish paella.

If you decide to give the Elche restaurant a try and are tempted to indulge in their highly recommended paella, just don't raise your expectations too high!

Visited December 2013
1 Thank EricChorley
Sunnyvale, California
“Very very good!”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

We went there for the paella. Even though I'm not a "Paella Expert", the meal was excellent! The place has a very elegant ambiance. The prices are very reasonable. Service is attentive, not intrusive. Deserts were excellent. I wish I can visit the place more often. Definitely would go back!
One thing - the coordinates that open the Google Maps App from the TripAdvisor App are wrong - check the address in the map before going on the wrong place.

• Visited December 2013
Salcombe, United Kingdom
“Great value excellent cooking”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Went here last week as it was close to our hotel and it did not disappoint. nice admosphere, good service and excellent food and wine. Would certainly go there again during the next visit to Barcelona.

• Visited October 2013
Lydney, United Kingdom
“Very good”
Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

Went here last night, I had the monkfish the portion size was excellent and it was cooked perfectly. My partner had the sirloin, he likes it we'll done, the first time it came out it was too rare so they changed it for a thinner piece which was cooked just as he liked it. The decoration is a mix of modern with old, the lighting is just right and the temperature was good, not blasted with cold air. The service was very good our waiter was very pleasant and attentive. We are going back again and would recommend to others.

Visited October 2013