“Real Spanish restaurant.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of El Portalon

El Portalon
Reserve with
El Portalon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,462 of 9,396 Restaurants in Barcelona
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Barrio Gotico (Barri Gotic)
England
“Real Spanish restaurant.”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

My wife spotted this as we wandered the back streets, and it looked interesting, and she really liked it. A typically Spanish building that suggested genuine local menu.

However, a quick check on Tripadvisor showed mixed reviews and I took some convincing by my wife before trying. I respect reviews, so I guess this place can be average if you're unlucky.

The night we went we had some good local dishes. They had callos (a tripe based dish) on the menu which is always a marker for how authentic the food is. Everything about the meal was good, decent wine, service friendly and patient, ( the waiter’s english was not good, but a whole site better than my spanish, he was so polite and made a lot of effort to help us choose food and wine).

We arrived at 8.30 pm and the place had only one other customer. Oh dear, we thought - never mind, be brave, however an hour later the place was full and almost all customers were Spanish!

Reasonable prices. Well worth a try especially if you want to avoid the more obvious touristic restaurants that abound. It is slightly off the beaten (Ramblas) track, but only a 5 minute walk - you may need to consult a map to find it.

• Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bicester, United Kingdom
“Not at all good”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Avoid the rice with spare ribs. Ribs appeared to have been prepared with a hammer so there were razor sharp bones throughout the paella style dish.
My wife has salmon and potatoes - well half of a potato cut into two pieces.
The diet coke was OK.

London, United Kingdom
“One of the worst meals I have ever had.”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I never usually write reviews. In this case, I felt compelled.

This place is a tourist trap, plain and simple. I was suspicious when I saw that the specials board was in English, but others in my group wanted to eat there, so I held my tongue.

The place was full of tourists, not a Spaniard in sight. It had no atmosphere to speak of.

We decided to get a few tapas dishes to share, then a main course each. The chorizo was average, the calamari from a packet, and the pan con tomate soggy. I had a glass of red wine to accompany it, which arrived ice cold(!)

For the main courses, one of our group had the seafood salad, which consisted mainly of olives and crab sticks. My girlfriend and I had "chef's recommendations" of escalivada and duck respectively. The escalivada was inedible, the duck, which came with a rum, pineapple and mushroom sauce, even moreso.

The service was fine, but a terrible meal in all. My share came to 23 euros, so it wasn't even cheap. Avoid at all costs!

1 Thank Bridgie91
Massachusetts
“Best tapas experience of our Barcelona visit”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

It's hard to pick from the many choices that Barcelona offered, We were very pleased to discover El Portalon right before leaving. They offered a variety of tapas. We enjoyed the croquetas and roasted salt almonds with a sangria. If we'd have found this place earlier, we certainly would have returned for a second visit.

Visited April 2013
“Unfriendly waiters”
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Waiters avoid any eye contact and do not say a word when taking away the plates. The waitress behind speaks and laughs very loud, which is really annoying if you want to enjoy your meal. Meal is really average. I saw 3 other tourist couples that did not enjoy the experience and quit as fast as possible. Don't recommended.