“It's a different world inside”
Review of Casa Calvet

Casa Calvet
Ranked #498 of 10,607 Restaurants in Barcelona
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Eixample
Description: Restaurant Casa Calvet is located in Casa Calvet, a building created for a textile manufacturer by the Catalan Architectural genius Antoni Gaudi. Its accounting offices, management and boardrooms have been converted into semi-private dining rooms where we have preserved taste and elegance to the delight of our customers. Restaurant Casa Calvet is a unique and exclusive place where dining becomes a sensual experience which blends the state of the art cuisine with the beauty of Gaudi's work.
Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

My son and I had the best meal here whilst staying at El palace. The meal was full of little surprises . Execlent Catalan wines. A first class meal and service at a fair price. Well done.

1  Thank Yugneb

Reviewed January 15, 2013

You could easily walk passed this restaurant & miss it. If you want to experience the traditional surroundings of old Barcelona, you must visit this place. It is expensive but as a treat well worth it. Its not something most of us would do every day but well worth the money just for the whole experience.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

When you come to Casa Calvet, you come for the atmosphere and service. One of my friends was visiting BCN for the first time and, as a second time visitor, I wanted her Christmas Eve dinner to be nice.
I had dined at Casa Calvet with my partner during my previous stay in BCN and we were immediately enchanted with the restaurant. The decor is glorious, the service, from the moment you pick up the phone to make reservations all the way through the end, is superb. Most of the food is memorable.
In both occasions I had the venison with currant sauce and both times it was excellent. As for the monkfish, the pigeon, the wine selection, the cake with hazelnut praline --and everything in between--, the place doesn't disappoint. My only observation is some of the presentation and/or plating. Upon arrival and after ordering your aperitif, a waiter brings... a bowl of chips? Not the smartest choice at a restaurant of this level. Also, before the appetizers are served, you'll get a tasting portion (usually fish stew) compliments of the chef. I must admit that the stew was good; the plating... not so much.
Overall, the restaurant serves good food, but those who come back as I did, do so because of the atmosphere and impecable service.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Casa Calvet, the building, is one of Antonio Gaudi's masterpieces in the Modernista style he made so famous in Barcelona. Originally, the building was intended to be the palatial home for a number of branches of the Calvet family. At street level, was a fabric shop which has since been converted with great care into a fine restaurant, but our experience was less than marvelous.
The atmosphere at Casa Calvet is great. All the handmade touches which Gaudi designed at the turn of the century are still there. The restaurant is a feast for the eyes, but you can’t eat fine furniture.
While the food was above average, it was by no means gourmet. It was good, okay, even nice, but not terrific, not inspired, not great. The menu sounded great, but the food left you wanting.
For a starter, I had the Aubergine, pumpkin and spider crab with truffled leek béchamel sauce. How can you go wrong with that? Well, it wasn’t particularly tasty. It was eggplant overcooked with a nice sauce. My main course was a saddle of venison sautéed with chestnuts and mushrooms with a current sauce. The meat was tough. I had to abandon several grizzly chunks on the edge of the plate. The sauce was good. The dessert of sorbet with rum and pineapple was good, but nothing special.
The others in my party had a similar experience.
The service started out great, but rapidly deteriorated. By dessert time, we had a hard time getting the attention of a waiter to take our order. So many different people had come to the table it was hard to know who had charge of this stage of the dinner. We struggled similarly to get the bill and cash out.
Restaurants have bad days. Chefs and waiters have bad days. Things go awry that cannot be predicted or prevented, but when you go to a gourmet restaurant you don’t expect the average. You expect that the service and the food preparation will work smoothly together to make for a top flight dining experience. It just didn’t happen to us that evening.

1  Thank GaryRochester_NY
Reviewed December 19, 2012

It took a while before I had a chance to dine at Casa Calvet and it's been exactly the way I expected it! Expensive, very good food, elegant environment and attentive service in a beautiful restaurant. A must, for the lovers of classic dining.