“Get the Duck Confit! Best meal on our trip!”
Review of Cafe De L'Academia

Cafe De L'Academia
Ranked #148 of 10,585 Restaurants in Barcelona
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Barrio Gotico (Barri Gotic)
Reviewed September 13, 2013

My wife and I went to this restaurant on the 12 Sept after reading reviews here. Well worth the effort to find! Map location on Trip Advisor is wrong but address at Carrer Lledo is correct.
We were probably a little under dressed, I'd recommend a collared shirt for men.
We wandered in and got the table near the toilet, not a big deal as some would have you believe. The service was OK considering we don't speak Spanish. Then the food arrived...
Had the half portion Catalan sausage for appetiser, which was very nice for a sausage. Lamb was fantastic, then my wife and I switched meals and I started on the most amazing Duck Confit that made my knees go weak from the flavour. Each meal exceeded the one before it!
I had one of the recommended red wines which was great with the meal, and we finished with a nice Muscat and Tokay.
Best of the meals we had while in Barcelona.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,131)

Reviewed September 13, 2013

I had my 60th birthday dinner at Cafe De L'Academia with my friend and our wives. The place was full, luckily I had made a reservation. The food and wine were just excellent, service friendly and pleasant. At dessert time all the lights suddenly went out and the waiter came from kitchen carrying a small cake with a burning candle. The cake was put in front of me - they had noticed I had a birthday! So nice! And the total sum of bill was absolutely decent. I warmly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

This little restaurant is located in an alley so it is a bit hard to find. Great appetizers but so so entrees. The goat cheese and eggplant salad is to die for. Also, get 1/2 portions cause even the half portions are huge!

Reviewed September 9, 2013

This was my first trip to Barcelona we visited this restaurant on the 4th sept 2013, not knowing where to go we looked on trip advisor as a guide.Well I thought it would be a lot more accurate but I don't think any of the reviews were a true guide at all. We first of all tried to book as we read it was a busy restaurant but no one answered the phone, so we just chanced it. Our welcome was awful from a waitress who pointed at the only table left, right next to another couple and very close to the kitchen. This would have been okay but then we realised that the door behind my husbands chair was actually the toilet. There was no sign on the door it looked like a cupboard and if it did have a sign we would not have sat at this table. The final insult was when a fellow customer asked my husband if the door behind him was a toilet. Did he ask to be the toilet attendant, no. The service was slow, they kept having a power cut, the staff did not care about you, food was average. My husband chose the Spanish sausage served with chips (he asked for potatoes) a poached egg and asparagus. No asparagus came no explanation why, the egg was overcooked, so we paid 15 euros for sausage chips and egg I could do better at home!!! This was the worst meal of the visit very over rated. Don't take the good reviews seriously!!

1  Thank fiona h
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

Hard to find but worth the walk in the coolest back alleys of Barcelona. It's a little hidden gem. All out food was perfect

1  Thank DarrellKC