“Perfection in Basque and Castilian Food”
Review of Cafe De L'Academia

Cafe De L'Academia
Ranked #78 of 10,014 Restaurants in Barcelona
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Barrio Gotico (Barri Gotic)
Reviewed August 19, 2012

On the advice of a friend, I called them and made a reservation two weeks before arriving in Barcelona. Good move. When we got there at 8:30PM, the rolling gate outside was closed and they were just opening up. I told them who we were and we were seated immediately. Within 5 minutes the place was completely full as well as the tables outside. The food - incredible. We had a Poached salmon and Carmelized onion appetizer, incredible. We also ordered a bottle of locally produced Rioja - excellent. Our Beef main course for two was done perfectly. Tip - Being able to speak Spanish will help you immensely, a swell as being patient and polite. It's worth it.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

Elegant yet casual dining. Great value for the money. You will enjoy the atmosphere, service and the food!

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Excellent food, ate indoors. Ordered 5 tapas sized dishes for 2, was perfect. Call ahead for a reservation.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

This charming restaurant in the narrow streets of Barri Gotic was our first dinner experience in Barcelona, and also our best. It was so good that we decided to reserve a table for our last day in the city as well. We were delighed at both visits. We were a party of four, and all of us were very satisfied with our meals, two of us stating that our meal was amoung the best we had ever eaten. It is a very busy place, therefore the staff is not to attentive, however the service is friendly. Street musicians are performing close to the outdoor tables. This can surely be nice if you enjoy such entertainment, however we decided to enjoy our meal in the relative quietless of an indoor table in this very nice restaurant. I highly recommend this place to anyone looking for very good and reasonably priced food.

1  Thank OnkelReisendeElg
Reviewed July 28, 2012

My boyfriend and I had been advised to go to this restaurant by a friend and were very much looking forward to it. however, from start to finish it was a very unpleasant experience. we had booked a table for 9pm but arrived a little late due to difficulty in finding it. Our table had been given away in that short space of time and we were left standing outside with no indication of when we might be seated. Fortunately we were seated outside quite quickly but it was downhill from here. It took 15 minutes for a drink order to be taken and even at that we had to call the waiter over. The bread we were given was hard and no oil or dip was offered as an accompaniment until I requested it specifically. The starter was quite tasty, however my boyfriend had ordered the full sized portion of lasagne for main course. to say it was TINY when it arrived is an understatement. As he would have a good appetite, he queried the portion size and whether it came with any side accompaniments. Not only was his dinner grabbed from him, but what I assumed to be the owner marched straight over to me while my fork was in my food and also grabbed my dinner which I had no complaints about. My boyfriend queried why he did this and we were asked to leave the premises and told that this was ´normal service´. Overpriced with terrible service the only good thing about this restaurant was that we didnt have to pay for starters and wine. Does not deserve its reputation in my opinion. Steer clear.

5  Thank MB1981Wexford