“Very good traditional catalan cuisine in a nice and central location”
Review of 7 Portes

7 Portes
Reserve with
7 Portes is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #544 of 9,594 Restaurants in Barcelona
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Barceloneta
Description: Opening its doors in 1836 to begin offering over 150 years of excellence, Restaurant de les 7 Portes is truly the most classic of Barcelona's eating places. Here, you can enjoy the finest Catalan cooking in an intimate setting or in one of the spacious banquet halls, accompanied by Spain's best wines and "cavas" (sparkling wines) from the well-stocked cellar. The restaurant is housed in the Pòrtics d'en Xifré, a building declared a national monument and the first place in Barcelona where running water was installed. In 1942, it became the property of Paco Parellada, founder of one of the foremost dynasties of restaurateurs in all of Catalonia.
Barcelona, Spain
“Very good traditional catalan cuisine in a nice and central location”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I have been a few times in Set Portes, it has been allways good to very good, with very fresh and well prepared fish and very good rice. Do not expect new inventive cuisine, but it is a very good place to try traditional hich quality catalan cuisine, including some XXI Century plates.

• Visited February 2013

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Roanoke, VA
“Did not live up to our expectations”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We had high hopes based on what we had read but 7 Portes did not deliver. The atmosphere is lovely but the tables are pushed way too close together. We could as easily talk to folks at three adjacent tables as we could to our own party of 6. The food was good but not exceptional. The service was below average. Our waiter gave an impression of disinterest.

1 Thank DianeRoanoke
Houston, Texas
“Yummy paella, but go for the lamb!”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

The 7 Portes Restaurant is the most famous restaurant in Barcelona for paella. We’d heard there were possible better restaurants, but the location is beautiful, and we knew where it was, so we headed to 7 Portes to get our paella fix for lunch. Two of us ordered paella, but there was so much of it, everyone got to try some. Ours had sausage, fish and shellfish in it and the rich, savory flavors were really satisfying. But the true star of our lunch was the lamb that one of the guys ordered. It was tender, falling off the bone and amazing! Convince your lunch partner to get the paella so you can taste some, but order the lamb for yourself!

Dallas, Texas
“MEDICORE, SAD EXPERIENCE FROM A ONCE GOOD RESTAURANT”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I used to enjoy bragging that my favorite restaurant in the world was in Barcelona, Spain. The 175 year-old Seite Portes, situated in the port area of Barceloneta used to care about their guests, food and service. It is very sad that Seite Portes has fallen into mediocrity and treats their guests with blatant arrogance. I guess that is what happens when you have been around for that long and always know your tables will be filled by tourists.
On this trip (special New year trip to Barcelona) I could not get a reservation, so the fun began when we arrived. We purposely went after the dinner rush. It was very cold outside the restaurant, so when we tried to go in and were blocked by an attendant from entering. He said; "Wait here for 20 minutes and we will call you." My wife asked if we could get a drink and wait inside and the attendant responded; "No, sit at one of the outside tables til your name is called." I mentioned that I spoke with Sarah the hostess before our journey and asked him to get her to help. No Sarah. No help. So, we waited outside after all the pre-trip anticipation in the cold.
When we were finally seated, we waited an extraordinary amount of time for a waiter. Oh, I get the "Hey, your in Europe, chill out for a few, because they want you to relax first". There was no warmth or greeting from the waiter, just a blank stare and asked if we were ready to order. We ordered the Paella with Meat and Vegetables. I also ordered a bottle of white wine. I tasted the house white which was not very good (served so ice cold you could not get a nose or a taste) and I then ordered another bottle they recommended from their "Special" wine list. They came back and told me they were out and suggested another comparable bottle, which I incorrectly assumed they would honor for the same price. Big surprise when the bill arrived and it was 40 % more than the original bottle. That's another story.
I know how to prepare Paella. It was Seite Portes that inspired me to buy the Paellla kit at a Barcelona specialty store 10 years ago, after my first experience there. I learned one (Rule #1) important thing. Always pre-treat the pan with oil and then after use and cleaning treat with oil again while it is stored. This way it does not give your food a metallic, rusty taste. Seite Portes obviously did not bother to do this with my dinner because I got a strong metallic taste in my food. That's not an oversight by the chef, that is just laziness and disregard for the patrons.
Overall, a very sad evening, especially as my wife and I joked afterward about how we spent so much time planning our special dinner night out. I am sure that they will have another tourist standing outside in the cold tomorrow night waiting for a table. I went out of my way to share my negative experience with the concierge at my Hotel as well as many friends, business partners and locals during my stay in Barcelona. In this day and age it is not right to be able to get away with that treatment-- night after night. There are too many fine dining choices. I did learn from one of the staff that the restaurant has had a management change in the last couple years ( might explain it). There are over 1200 restaurants in Barcelona. Over 300 serve Paella. We will look forward to discovering our new favorite in Barcelona on our next trip. And I encourage you readers to do the same.

3 Thank ValuReviewer
Silverado, California
“Fantastic Character”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Some restaurants have it and some don't. It is a combination of food, atmosphere, service and a general ambience with having all the tables full and vibrant with people. 7 Portes has it all. We of course had seafood Paella. It did not disappoint. Absolutely plenty of locals when we went, many of them regulars by familiarity of them and the service staff. We were treated equally as well. We went there for lunch, had a reservation and shorty after we arrived the restaurant was full.