“Surprisingly underwhelmed”

Ranked #131 of 512 Hotels in Barcelona
Singapore, Singapore
“Surprisingly underwhelmed”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

So I usually stay in a very good b&b when in Barcelona, but this time I wanted to try somewhere different. I chose The Praktik for its location and what seemed like a design hotel. It was pretty expensive, so I was expecting a few more luxuries for the extra price.

The hotel is well decorated and has old freakshow wallpaper on one floor and a nice looking breakfast room and deck which I didn't use. However, my room was TINY. There was room for the bed and the sink and my bag which was pretty much it. The room is fairly dark with low lighting but that is quite typical in Spain and I don't mind that. Staff were very nice. For what I paid, I wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Praktik, Gerente at Praktik Garden, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

We do apologize if you did not enjoy your stay in our hotel and appreciate your comment about our common areas and staff.
We also have superior rooms and some just restored rooms with a little extra charge, hope next time we can accommodate you in one of them!

Regards from Barcelona

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I stayed here in early October and whilst it was not an amazing experience, neither was it awful. The rooms are spartan and simple, but very clean. The staff were all delightful and helpful. The breakfast, which was included for me, was nice and plentiful, although the arrangement with the coffee machine, I found unusual.
As far as my room was concerned, it overlooked a central atrium, which was basically four walls and bricked up windows. Also covered at the top by a tarp/cover, which allowed very little natural light in. Rather disconcerting that, I found it almost impossible, at a glance, to tell if it was day or night. Also on the ground floor below my room, was some kind of very loud pump or compressor which seemed to fire up at ungodly hours. So, my sleep quality was poor.
The rear terrace was terrific and almost a quiet oasis in the busy city.
The location, was quite good. Very close to metro station Girona (L4) and Passeig de Garcia (multiple lines), which is brilliant and easy to use. On the corner, was a superb little cafe.
I would say, that of you were going to use this hotel, definitely ask for a room either overlooking the street or the rear terrace. Certainly avoid a room looking on to the interior atrium.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the street or the rear terrace. Certainly avoid any overlooking the centr...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank BrendanOC4
Praktik, Gerente at Praktik Garden, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

First I would like to apologize for all the inconveniences caused by the noise. We are very sorry that the expectations in our hotel were not fulfilled; we try to do our best to ensure our customers to have an enjoyable stay.
Besides the noise and room problem, we are happy to know that our terrace, staff, location and breakfast were a good compliment and made you have a good stay at Praktik Garden.

We invite you for the next time to send us a comment in your booking specifying the preference of an exterior room, and if the availability allows us we will be happy to assign it for you. Sorry again for the trouble this caused you and we hope to see you back in the future.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed November 3, 2013

The hotel is charmingly eclectic and in a fairly good location. The rooms are basic, a bit dated but clean. Continental breakfast is available for an additional charge. If you purchase breakfast you are entitled to 1 coffee (capsules inserted into the coffee maker), if you want additional coffee, or have not got breakfast included, the capsules are sold for 1 euro a piece. There are 2 fridges in the communal eating area but guests are no longer allowed to use them. There are no phones in the rooms, but staff will knock on your door at the appointed time if you wish a wake up call. In back there is a nice patio which can be used for reading, eating and social gatherings.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Praktik, Director General at Praktik Garden, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for staying with us and also we really appreciate your comments about our hotel in Barcelona. We also love our terrace!!
We look forward to see you with us again in the near future.

Best regards!
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2013

one of the best hotels I've stayed in the rooms are a decent size with en suit toilet with good sized shower the sink is in the room the rooms also have a balcony air conditioning and a tv the hotel serves a continental breakfast it also has a seated garden area I would stay at this hotel again no problem

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for leaving your review about The Praktik Garden Hotel. We are pleased knowing that you had a good time and we hope to see you soon again!

Regards from Barcelona
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I was there 2 weeks ago with my friend. The location is great (3min walking from the metro station), however that's all...indeed the room we had was very small, the bed takes all the space, there is no place to put the luggage, our stuffs, or even walk. The washbasin is in the room and not in the bathroom, just in front the bed, so when you wash your hands or your teeth the water falls everywhere! However, we told them we wanted a view, so they gave us a room with view on the street with a small balcony.
On the 1st day, the room service forgot to pass by our room to clean it, we had to advise the receptionist.
Finally, the breakfast is not diversified: they only serve 2 sorts of pastries and sandwiches already done with cheese&tomato sauce (spanish speciality), or jambon inside. Regarding the coffee, you can't use the machine directly, you have to go the reception on the 1st floor, give your room number in order to get "one capsule" of coffee and after that go back to the breakfast room on the 2nd floor to use the machine....it's the 1st time i see that in a hotel with the breakfast included! You can choose the eat inside the hotel or on the terrasse which is very nice.

So all in all, I will advise this hotel to people looking for a simple hotel well located, but who are not very picky concerning the service, the rooms and the breakfast!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed October 9, 2013

It's the kind of hotel I love to stay at.
The decor is just incredible, original, modern and plenty of colors!
I stayed at a single's room, big bed, comfortable pillows and soft sheets.
The view wasn't much (looked to a small space between the buildings) but then you don't spend much time at the hotel when staying in Barcelona.
And to compensate you have a wonderfull terrace, with sofas, sunbathing area, tables, chairs, and parasols.
The location is great, walking distance to almost everywhere, and if you are not much of a walker, the subway is nearby, and so are the big central avenues, La Gran Vía and Pasaje de Gracia, where almost every bus goes by!

Definetly the place to stay in Barcelona!

Room Tip: the lift can be a little bit noisy...if you have a light sleep, ask for a room not to near by,
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Praktik, Director General at Praktik Garden, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Guest
We look forward to see you with us again in the near future.
Best regards!