“Perfect Base” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #127 of 522 Hotels in Barcelona
Glasgow, Scotland
“Perfect Base”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

Really enjoyed The Praktik. Big, clean and comfy bed and stylish, simple rooms. No fuss, no frills, but relaxing. Great shower, flat screen TV and french windows opening onto the street. Clean towels every day. Our room looked out onto the main street, but at night with the shutters closed it was not too noisy. Breakfast fine, bocadillos, pastries and fresh fruit, tea, coffee and orange juice, but loads of cafes nearby if you want a change. As everyone says, a great location, central and near to two or three metros. Barcelona was amazing and the Praktik was a lovely hotel to come back to as a base. I really liked the design and the terrace with the astro turf and fairly lights was really relaxing at breakfast and in the afternoon for a rest between trips. Air conditioning was a wee bit noisy, but it cooled the room down enough to switch off at night. A hotel bar and a safe in the room would have upped my rating.

Room Tip: We had a superior double looking out onto C de Diputacio, not too noisy with shutters shut, but inne...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JaxGlasgow_Scotland
Praktik, Director General at Praktik Garden, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for leaving your review about The Praktik Garden Hotel. We are pleased to know that you had a good time and we hope to see you soon again!

Regards from Barcelona

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

Good location and centrally located next to several key destinations like Catalunya square and Paseige de Gracia although they are a 10-15 minute walk. Close to metro transportation and several main shopping areas including la Rambla. There were several good restaurants close by. Modest sized hotel with minimal amenities but that is what you will get for this price range and location in Barcelona. Very clean and well maintained rooms although the room and bath were relatively small but not cramped. Good value for the breakfast offering which was 4 euro. Staff was extremely friendly and courteous. Provided good restaurant suggestions and travel directions. We were traveling with our children and asked for adjoining rooms. Although they put us on the same floor, it was at opposite ends. A minor inconvenience but annoying. I would stay here again or recommend it to others.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Praktik, Director General at Praktik Garden, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking your time and leave such a wonderful review. We are really glad that you appreciated the hotel features as well as the location and the hotel staff.
Best regards from Barcelona!
Belgrade
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

hotel is located very close to Catalunya square, and Paseige de Gracia street, in a quiet and peaceful neighborhood. hotel is quite unique in style, full of lively colors, plants, books ... making atmosphere which makes you feel like at home. Despite casual design of reception, corridors and other shared spaces of hotel, rooms are quite nice, done in minimalistic style, completely new, clean and cushy. i have been in single room, which did not had some view, it was overlooking empty corridor between buildings, and had a sink as a part of the room (generally single room was small) but it was really nice, and the sleep quality was good. if you are staying for more than one of two days, try to book rooms which are overlooking the street.
breakfast at hotel is nice, big choice of bakery products, fruit, sandwiches, freshly squeezed orange juice... overall good hotel which i would recommend for short visits to Barcelona

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Brno
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

i absolutely love this hotel! very clean, comfortable, welcoming. the receptionists very kind , always ready to help. breakfast tasty, good ideas with the fill in baguettes. fresh juice :) perfect location. ready to come back :)
pity that I was not able to connect to free wifi in the 5th floor.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Guests ,

Thank you for your great review about our hotel. We are all very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us!.
We look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to Barcelona.

Best regards
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

The two of us stayed at here for 2 nights and the Praktik offered us a convenient location from which to do our sightseeing. We did not walk to many places, simply because Barcelona was the first stop on our long trip ahead. We took the metro instead, and the Girona metro station just a 3 minute walk around the corner. We did not opt for the breakfast at the Praktik, and just grabbed a quick bite at the bakery that was right outside the metro.

Our room on the 3rd floor had a balcony that faced the inside of the block. We overlooked the Praktik's little green terrace and the backs of other buildings. The room was bright, and the bed was big. The air conditioning was good, but it will turn off automatically when you open your balcony doors, so you have to choose between a bright room that was very hot, or a dark room that was cool. The room was small, though, and I feel as though they could've made better use of the sink area, because the lack of counter meant that there is nowhere to put your toiletries. We moved the bedside table beside the sink so that there was a sliver of space for us to put our toiletries on.

It was extremely basic: no safe, no telephone, and no chair. There was 1 chest of drawers and 1 low table, which we used to put our suitcases on. The washroom was clean overall but with some mold in the grout that I didn't expect to see from a . The glass that separated the shower from the toilet does not exactly serve its function because the water will splash out and make the whole washroom wet.

I have been to Asia many times and I have adapted to living in small quarters, so the size of this room did not bother me. The thing that was intolerable for me was the ants. The room was perfectly clean when we checked-in, but when we returned at night, there were ants by the dozens crawling along the edges of the floor. Mind you, we did not have any food in the room. I quickly asked the front desk if we could switch rooms, but the guy said no, but he can give me a can of bug spray. I was extremely unhappy with this arrangement and had to spray pesticide all over my room. He suggested that I not open the balcony so that the ants don't come in. However, if I don't open the balcony doors, then I will have to inhale pesticide all night when I slept. The ants didn't return, but I was still very disappointed at how this was handled.

Overall, our stay was average. I might try to look into other hotels to stay at. The bottom line: affordable and economical; tolerable cleanliness; convenient location; BUT ants. If ants don't bug you, (ha ha), then this place is good.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the interior should be quieter and brighter.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Haifa, Israel
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

Location is excellent, no more than 3 minutes walk to the nearest metro and under 15 minutes walk to Passeig De Gracia (one of the main streets in Barcelona), which is great. There are several restaurants within a few minutes walk, and once you walk a little further (towards Passeig De Gracia), there is anything you might like, be it fast food, fine dining, coffee shops and your regular tourist traps.
My room was nice with a huge bed and very clean bathroom. It is basic, but that's really all you need in Barcelona in my opinion (You'd like to go sightseeing outside...) The first floor has a lovely terrace for guests to sit comfortably in. Breakfast (not included in the price of my room, but is just 4 euro which is good value - you get pastries, sandwiches, juice and coffee) is also served in the terrace.
Front desk staff is nice and helpful, so no complaints there.

Unfortunately, I must rate this establishment 1 star only, since I had 200 UK pounds stolen from the inside of my locked room. I know this sounds bizarre, and I would also doubt anyone claiming such a thing, imagining they just lost the money somewhere and can't remember where, but I can tell you my story and you'll be the judge. If after that you still wish to stay there, well then, it is your money on the line.
I have an awkward habit. I count the cash money I bring along with me abroad every evening. Coming to Barcelona was part of a longer trip, as I continued from Barcelona to London. So I had not only Euro in cash but also UK pounds. On my third evening in the hotel I counted 500 UKP and 300 EUR. They were all together in one money belt along with my passport, lying inside my suitcase (the hotel doesn't provide a safe in the rooms nor at the front desk). Whoever took the money did it very cleverly. They did not take a single Euro. They did not take the passport. They did not take all of the UKP. They just took 200 pounds of the 500. I can only imagine what this person was thinking: even if the guests do check their money-belt, they'll be more interested in the local Euros or the passport, less paying attention to the here-of-no-use pounds, and as long as there are some pounds left inside, is should take them a while before they figure out anything is missing. But, as I mentioned, I have a weird habit of counting everything, every evening. And The evening after that there were 200 pounds missing.
Of course, I notified the front desk immediately and I was told I better speak to the manager that arrives the following morning. I wanted to, but it turned out she comes in late and I had to go to a conference before she arrived. I left her my details and told everything I know to the nice receptionist who promised she'd tell everything to the manager. In the afternoon I got an E-mail from the manager saying that she spoke to the staff and "nobody saw any money". Gee, that's a shock... She also wrote that she "doesn't know where I left the money". And she said she checked the system for keys used to enter my room and it was just the cleaning staff and myself, so she just doesn't know what to say... Well, that was a great job handling the situation! Wasn't it?
So, to believe the manager, only the cleaning ladies and myself entered my room and could have taken anything from it. And since I have no use for UKP in Spain, and since during these 24 hours between the two counts, 200 UKP went missing, there is really only one obvious conclusion.
No need to mention that nothing was done to follow this obvious conclusion and that the relevant staff is still employed there, with free access to guests' rooms.
(I did go the the police and filed a claim, but they just wrote a nice report and didn't even pretend to were going to check it.)
Beware!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ori P
Praktik, Belén Mas-Hotel Manager at Praktik Garden, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear guest,
First of all I would like to thank you for your review, we are glad hearing you liked the hotel. We are nearby the mean touristic places in Barcelona city centre.

About the problem with the 200 BP we did everything was in our hands. It is true we have to add the safe in our rooms, this is a matter that we are already studying and surely we will fix in the next months but our housekeepers are working with us for a long time and they never take anything from the guest rooms.

According to the test we did at your room door lock no one else except you and our housekeeper opened it. Once we give you the key of your room in the check in day, we cannot control the people who came in with you in your room.

We are really sorry you did not finally enjoy your stay in our hotel.

We are at your complete disposal for any further information you may require.