“Stylish boutique hotel that didn't put a foot wrong”
Review of The5rooms

and 1 more site!
The5rooms
Ranked #26 of 308 Barcelona B&B and Inns
Toronto and Chennai
“Stylish boutique hotel that didn't put a foot wrong”
Reviewed June 17, 2012

We only stayed one night (in a junior suite) but look forward to returning and are widely recommending the place - it's much more than a B&B but less than an inn.

Had great help from Caterina by email before arrival.

They have an arrangement with an underground garage fifty metres from the front door, so although there's no parking onsite it doesn't matter.

Our room was extremely comfortable, really well designed. It was great to be able to open a window.

For Barcelona it's extremely reasonable.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I recently stayed in one of the apartments at the five rooms, overall the central location, friendly and helpful staff and chic style of the place were fantastic. However, there were a few significant drawbacks which would probably prevent me or my two friends returning to stay here. Cutlery and kitchen utensils were dirty upon arrival, there was a strange smell emanating from the kitchen cupboards and we were charged for towels which we allegedly stained only five days after we had check out. I have stayed in many rented apartments and hotels, and usually, I believe protocol is to check the room when the guests are checking out and to deduct the price of any damaged items from the security deposit. This did not happen and I found it quite strange that it took staff four/five days to follow up on this issue. The decor as well, although very well put together aesthetically was mostly from Ikea which on the whole is not an issue and was of high quality but when it comes to things like bed linen the very average quality of the items really showed. We did not enjoy some of the best night's sleep any of us have had. Lastly, our television wasn't working well, but to be fair staff did offer to bring in a repair man which we refused as we did not want to waste even a moment in beautiful Barcelona watching TV, let alone worrying about a stranger in the flat or waiting for him to arrive. These issues I may have expected from a place charging a little less than the fiverooms, but for the price we paid I was slightly disappointed. However, in future if these issues were dealt with appropriately I would highly recommend a stay here to anyone visiting barcelona.

Room Tip: Maybe stay in the rooms rather than the apartments, cheaper and you will probably have less issues.
1 Thank sarah z
Cleveland
Reviewed June 8, 2012

My wife and I, with another couple, stayed for 3 nights at the 5 rooms. All I can say is that this was a very different stay than we've been at other hotels. This is really a bed and breakfast with many positives and a few negatives.

The positives:
1. We were welcomed upon our arrival by Jessica. She is vivacious, enthusiastic, and helpful. My wife wanted to do some shopping so Jessica pulled out a map and showed her all the shopping areas and gave her some suggested stores. All through our stay, Jessica had many suggestions and was very helpful when one of our friends got sick.
2. The location - I think this is a great location, one block from the subway, one block off of the main road, with less traffic. We walked everywhere and found this a great plus.
3. Breakfast -- Although very basic, breakfast was served from 8:00 to 10:30 with enough to eat and start the day.

The negatives --
1. The rooms. As this is a converted apartment building, the room configurations are somewhat different. We had 2 double beds pushed together which was fine, and a bathtub shower, our friends had a platform bed which was slightly uncomfortable and only a stall shower. There were windows in the rooms which opened up to the interior atrium. Unfortunately, everytime someone left the building, the door closer would slam and sound like a small explosion. Somehow this should get fixed to deaden the sound.
2. Bed and Breakfast -- If you are interested in amenities, this is not the place for you. Although Jessica was great and she is available by phone, there is no 24 hour service. You are getting the basics.
3. Protests -- On the last day we were there, there was a protest in the streets a few hundred yards from the hotel. The hotel is near some government buildings and I was told that this area is common for protests. We heard chants and whistles and fireworks. Add to that the door slamming regularly and this put my wife and I on edge. I did go out to look and determined that this was basically a peaceful protest which broke up before we went out to dinner but it was unnerving.

I don't know if I would stay here again but it was an acceptable experience.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2012

We stayed here in one of their apartments over the Jubilee weekend and it was absolutely brilliant!
The apartment was beautiful, stylish and really well equipped, with a great central location. T
he staff were really kind and friendly, they even arranged for groceries to be waiting for us in the apartment when we arrived.
I will definitely be staying here when I am back in Barcelona and recommending it to all my family and friends.

scotland
Reviewed May 21, 2012

The 5 rooms is an excellent set up centrally located and within easy walking distance of many of the major Barcelona sights. Our room was large and very clean although the proximity to the breakfast area was a bit noisy early in the morning (simply ask to be a bit further away from this area and I am sure there wouldn't be any problem). This would be the only gripe in otherwise lovely accommodation. Staff should also be mentioned as very cheerful and helpful, nothing was too much bother and all requests were met with cheerful assistance. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask to be over the courtyard and away from the breakfast area!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
SAN
Reviewed May 14, 2012

The 5 Rooms is a charming little hotel, with a great location easy walking distance to the Plaza and Las Ramblas. Our room was spacious for European standards and had a little sunroom addition to it as well. The hotel staff were friendly and gracious, being there early to accept our bags so we didn't have to tote them around the city while we explored until check in time, offering advice and sympathy when the ATM machine ate my bank card, giving us maps and sightseeing advice. And all at a really reasonable price. A great stay!

Room Tip: We stayed in a back room, spacious and quiet.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Travel57San
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 9, 2012

My husband and I first stayed at the5rooms last September based on the great reviews on TA. We were not disappointed and always said we would return. Here we are 6+ months later and did not hesitate to stay at the5rooms and this time we had friends joining us. Again, the set up, rooms, staff were fantastic. I have added some information regarding the accommodation in case anyone is curious.

The 5 Rooms first opened in 2005 with just 5 B&B rooms on the 1st floor. They expanded a couple of years ago to 12 rooms. 4 rooms on the 1st floor (one of the original rooms is used by the owner) and 8 on the 2nd floor. Of the 12 rooms, 3 are suites and are all located on the 2nd floor. 2 are ensuite with the 3rd having a private bathroom. The owner has applied to the city for renovations to make it ensuite and it is in the paperwork process....never ending as government is involved! There is an elevator or lift as the English would say, albeit rather tiny! Get off the elevator at the 1st floor for reception. (not wanting to confuse anyone but the 1st floor is actually the 2nd when walking up the stairs!!)

Small fridge in common area stocked with water, pop and beer. Honour system for tracking what you consume.

This place is truely a hidden gem and very centrally located.

We were a bit shocked with cab fares this time around as they were more than last year. Cab from the airport (4 people with numberous bags) 39 euro. Cab from the5rooms to airport (2 people with 2 big bags + carry on) was 38 euro. The latter apparently included an airport surcharge.

Enjoy your stay. Jessica, Bianca and Catarina will look after you like you are family.

Room Tip: For some extra space book a suite and enjoy the floor to ceiling windows overlooking the back courty...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends