“The wonderful trip”

Ranked #135 of 722 Specialty Lodging in Barcelona
RostovnaDonu, Rostov, Russia
“The wonderful trip”
Reviewed February 27, 2012

We really had a good time here. Ideal location to visit the city, room is wide, comfortable and clean. Friendly staff. Special thanks to Miriam for the care :)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MilyaK

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
QUETZALTENANGO
Reviewed December 9, 2011

We arrived in estacion franca , took the metro and thanks to the support of Myriam reached very easy the hotel ... in front of the metro (calle Bruc) ...
A few minutes later and without any problems to use the elevator (fun for the kids) , room # 6 with a lot of space / small kitchen but sufficient to survive a week / nice bathroom with always warm water (suprise when you come from Guatemala) and most important .. good price/quality feeling ...
We had a good time, kids could stay alone in the hotel without being bored (father had to work) ... in other words .. thank you so much Myriam !

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Braunschweig
Reviewed October 1, 2011

The price and the location of the hostel are very nice. But there may be some problems:
The room was big and clean, but there was an unpleasant smell coming from the bathroom. Once we got from the street at night and there were no towels in the bathroom; we called the emergency mobile number from the hostel, and the (son of the) owner said he couldn't do anything until the following day.

In spite of that, guests from the other rooms didn't have any issue. Besides that, the hotel is located next to one subway station, three blocks from the central point in Barcelona: the Catalunya Plaza. There is also a 24h supermarket in the same street, one block from the hostel. When we got at the hostel, the owner was very friendly and gave us many tips.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank raflucBS
Hawick, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2011

I was in two minds about writing a bad review of Barcelona Center Plaza but having given it careful consideration I have decided I should.

Arrived 21 September 2011.

Firstly, I am not in the habit of complaining and would tolerate a fair bit as I feel that we are human and mistakes can be made and it's how mistakes are dealt with that counts.

Anyway, my other half and I booked a "Superior Double Room" at Barcelona Center Plaza on January 8th this year. We stayed in Barcelona last year but wanted somewhere larger and more central this year and saw this establishment and the good reviews and decided it would be perfect. The room was advertised as having a balcony, we were allocated Room number 1 on arrival - this room does not have a balcony. When I asked about it I was told that all the other rooms were occupied so after a big jolt of disappointment and a lack of alternatives due to La Merce Festival we decided to accept the room. Room number 1 isn't shown in any of the pictures on the hotel website. There is a window in the bedroom but it's high up and looks out onto the next rooms balcony, also a bit of a kick in the teeth! It was late when we arrived and we were hungry so we headed out and had some food and by the time we got back we went straight to bed. In the morning when I pulled the sheet back to make the bed I was horrified to discover it was covered in blood smears!! I automatically assumed they must have been there when we got into the bed the previous night and sent an email to the owner asking for the sheets to be changed as this wasn't acceptable. Sure enough on our return clean sheets were on the bed so I relaxed. Next morning when i went to make the bed once again there were blood smears all over the sheets! I was really confused because neither my partner or I had any cuts or bloody bits on us???? I felt embarressed for the email I'd sent the previous day because I thought the blood must somehow be coming from us. We went out for the day but the blood mystery was niggling me all day. On our return I used Google to search for clues and sure enough found an article from an American research institute that indicated bed bugs may be the culprits. I stripped the bed, including the mattress protector and two of the little buggers were scarpering over the mattress! I was horrified! My other half helped me turn the mattress over, the article I had read said bed bugs like dark corners to hide during the day, and there was at least fifty bedbugs scuttling about and wriggling into the nooks and crannies on the matress, several shed skins off them and oodles of eggs too!!!!!! Bleugh! I felt violated and immediately phoned the owner. The owner arrived very promptly and was just as alarmed as we were. I believe he genuinely did not know they had been there. He apologised profusely and offered to take the double bed out and put two single beds in. I had to decline, in all honestly I would rather have slept in the subway than spent another night in that room. The owner refunded the total cost of our stay without us asking for it and kept saying he was really sorry and that he didn't have the words to say how sorry he was. He also looked genuinely mortified and i am sure he will do his best to rectify the situation, which is why I wasn't sure about writing this review. However, having done some more research I have discovered that the little blighters like to come home with people! So I am now worrying and waiting to see if I have inadvertently brought any home in my luggage or on my clothes. The eggs are very small, there are "nymphs", juveniles which are very small and even adults are masters of concealment so it's hard to say whether or not I have managed to escape without any or not as yet. I am on "red alert". It would appear that neither my partner nor I react to the bites but some people have a very bad reaction. Apparently instances of bed bugs have increased significantly in the last couple of years, there's a bit of a secret pandemic. So travellers be aware not only of this hotel but of any hotel. Check the mattress for tell tale signs, little brown spots that look a little bit like mould could be bed bug droppings. The marks on our sheets were smeared bed bug poo and bugs we had squashed while sleeping, they burst very easily when they are full of blood it seems! Also be aware that bed bugs are not a sign of unhygenic conditions, they can be anywhere from the most up market all they way down to the flea pits! The (very posh) Oriental Hotel in London has been sued by an american couple after they were bitten by bed bugs there. Bed bugs don't feed on waste, only on blood and the room can be really clean and still have bugs hiding in it. Not just beds either, they can fit in the tiniest spaces, so be vigilant. Feel free to PM me with any questions, I'm a bit of a bed bug expert now!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
10 Thank I-Bod
San Miguel de Tucuman, Argentina
Reviewed August 24, 2011

We had a very good stay overall! We arrived at Barcelona Center Plaza very late in the evening due to a delay in our flight. We had to wait for some time for the owner to come and be able to make the check in. However, he was very polite and helpful once he arrived. The building was very nice and it has a historical lift! Our studio was ok, but there were others much better. Everything was soptlessly clean and in good conditions. Well-equipped kitchenette. Ideal location: very near Plaza Catalunya, the Ramblas and quite near from the Aerobus stop (airport shuttle) as well! Free wi-fi. There is a mini market opposite the street, open until 2 a. m.
The apartment has a small balcony (good for smokers!!!). Cleaning service every day.
I would definitely go back!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Seattle
Reviewed July 17, 2011

Oftentimes traveling with a family of four it was difficult to find cheaper,good accommodation to house us all.In Barcelona we decided to stay at this apartment style guesthouse and it worked out well for us.We caught the airport bus and it dropped us at Placa Catalunya just a few blocks walking distance from Barcelona Center Plaza.We arrived late at night after 11pm and one of the managers made sure they were there to greet us.This is not a hotel so they don't have 24 hour staff-if you indicate the time you will arrive they can meet you there.We paid an extra 20 euros to accommodate us for arriving later.The manager was very friendly and efficient-she gave us two keys,one for the entrance to the whole building and one to the guesthouse entrance.She was also helpful about places to visit and the best way to get there.

The building was an older style,imposing stone building with lovely balconies and tall shuttered windows.The apartments itself was very roomy and clean.(it was cleaned for us each day).It had it's own bathroom,four single beds and a well stocked kitchen.The kitchen had a stove top,and all the implements needed for cooking and eating.Basic food items such as sugar,salt and pepper were in stock and the rest of the food you had to buy yourself.This was a simple and enjoyable task as there were three major supermarkets within a few blocks of the guesthouse-Open Cor,El Corte Ingles and Bon Preu.If you wanted to experience the beauty and freshness of an open market you could visit the La Boqueria located just off La Ramblas-it had an amazing array of local produce-pork,seafood,meats,vegetables,fruit,sweets and colorful juices .

Even though Barcelona Center house was in the city it was in a relatively quiet area.It's a semi residential area and many of the shops at street level were outlet stores.There was a metro station just opposite the guesthouse entrance and also a bustop.It took about a ten minute walk to get to the hustle and bustle of La Ramblas-a wide avenue crammed with department stores and smaller shops of every description,cafes ,restaurants and so on.We saw some amazing architecture in this area ranging from the medieval to the ultra modern.On this strip was also a Gaudi museum.Gaudi's major masterpiece -La Sagrada Familia was a metro trip away-so were many of the other sites,museums and monuments.For beach goers the trip is apparently a short bus ride away-we didn't venture out there as it was raining during most of our stay.

The Barcelona Center Plaza was a good way to cut down on costs and also to experience the delights of the city close at hand.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Travlalu
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed April 6, 2011

A couple of friends and I (in our 20's) stayed here for 3 nights in the summer of 2010.

Location:
Great Location, a little bit of a walk from the train station but we could of took metro if we weren't stubborn 20 year olds :). It sits on one of the main streets in Barcelona and is close to the street La Rambla where all of the street performers and shops are at. The beach is about a 25 min walk but it is worth it to walk down La Rambla until you reach the beach! La Sagrada Familia Cathedral is also within walking distance or easily accessed by metro. Overall, loved the location.

Room and Service:
The staff was there most times and could help you with towels or whatever you needed. There is also a computer in lobby with internet access if you need one. Also, there is free-wifi. In all the places I stayed in Europe, this place had best free wifi connection.
The beds were not super comfortable but did the job and bathroom was also very usable.
The only thing I would say is a negative to my room was the traffic noise at night. You can always ask for a room without a street view.

Price:
Could not beat the price. Roughly came out to be 35 dollar for each of the four of us per night. Not bad considering some of the other hotels we looked at.

Culture:

Barcelona is a city that sleeps during the day and comes to alive at night. Don't be fearful to venture out one night onto the streets for some food and family fun.

Ultimately,
I would stay here again in a heart beat!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends