“Quaint Place with Lots of Character and Charm”
Review of Barcino 147

Barcino 147
Ranked #2 of 308 Barcelona B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Quaint Place with Lots of Character and Charm”
Reviewed October 8, 2007

We were in Barcelona for a conference, so for the first few days, we stayed in a hotel that was close to the CCIB. Afterwards, we wanted to explore a little and get a taste of what Barcelona's all about. So we chose Barcino 147 because of its location and the reviews from here. And are we ever glad that we did! I must say we never experienced such incredible hospitality before...

From the moment we buzzed in, to the time when we had to rush to the airport, we got amazing service from the owner, Ferran. The doorman helped us with the luggage upon our arrival; we had to put our cases in the service elevators b/c the guest elevators had a weight limit. The elevators were an experience in itself! I loved it 'cuz it felt like I was travelling back in time. We were greeted immediately by Ferran (who spoke fluent English!), and the first thing I noticed was that the place and hallways were filled with smooth jazz music. What a treat! Although there was a bit of a mix-up of rooms (due to power outage, i.e. we didn't get the Picasso that was agreed upon before in the email), Ferran put us in a nice room, the Dali. After showing us around, Ferran pulled out a map and wrote down all the local places, restaurants, etc. that were "must-visit". Wow! - That conversation in itself was worth our stay...and you could just see the passion he had for the city (I mean, having done the same talk probably hundreds of times, Ferran still gets excited when he talks about Catalonia...) We got so many tips (and warnings!) that made our trip to Barcelona one to be remembered! Ferran even ordered us a taxi and woke up at 05:30 in the morning to help us with our suitcases the day of our departure! What a great host!

Room: The bed was comfortable with a good mattress, and we had no problems falling asleep because of noise from the street (the occasional motocycle buzzing by). The room was equipped with a plasma TV, though we rarely used it b/c when we got back to our room, we were usually exhausted, plus there was no CNN. The wireless internet access, I must say, was very convenient.

Breakfast: Breakfast was self-serve and the good thing was that there was no time-limit, like some other B&Bs that tell you breakfast is from 6-10am. There was assortment of breads with different spreads, cereal/granola/biscuits, and coffee/tea/juice/milk. Plus there was a grocery store right across the street if the items don't suit you. And we could use the fridge anytime (for beer/wine, etc.) if we wish.

Bathrooms: I didn't read the fine print about sharing bathrooms, so that was my bad. There were multiple bathrooms for our use, and although I am usually uncomfortable with sharing with others, I never ran into anyone coming in and out of it, and eventually got used to it towards the end. I only used the one across from the Dali room - it had a big stained-glass window and was well ventilated. The decor could use a little help, but all in all, functional. (So if you can't handle shared bathrooms, this is not the place for you.)

Location: Barcino 147 was in a convenient spot in the city, not too noisy and congested. It is close to the TMB Verdaguer station, and within 10-15 minute walking distance to Las Ramblas and Passeig de Gracia. There is a bank (La Caixa) close by as well if you need to do some last-minute currency exchange. It felt very safe walking back to the B&B every night after dark.

Bottom Line: Ferran made our stay in Barcelona/Catalonia an unforgettable experience - he went above and beyond. I just wished we had more time to explore the city and the surrounding areas (like Sitges and the wine country) that he suggested. I would definitely recommend this B&B to anyone looking for a place that has character and individuality. I can't wait to come back to Barcelona! If you want a taste of our adventures in Catalonia, feel free to visit the pictures on my website at [--]viaphotography.com/barcelona.

• Liked — The hospitality, the host, the location, and the time-flexibility with breakfast
  • Disliked — Shared bathrooms, and the fact that there were no English channels on TV (otherwise great!)
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
13 Thank Snypa-M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
glenside,pa.
Reviewed October 5, 2007

As others have said, the location of this B&B is quite good. Ferran was a most generous host. He not only shared his knowledge of this wonderful city, but also the beauty and elegance of his home. Staying at 147 is a far cry from the generic hotel rooms of 'name brand' hotels. Sorry that my stay wasn't longer. Barbara Kristal

Stayed September 2007
8 Thank lonewolf12
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed September 26, 2007

The best thing about it that the location is good, maybe 10-15 minutes walking to the Rambla, good area, metro close by. The price is also ok cause the prices in Barcelona are very high.

There is a difference between the rooms so you better check which room you gonna get. In our first night we got a terrible small room but the owner Ferran removed us to another one, much much better, the day after. The owner himself I think is a kind of legend, he was super kind and helpful, we really felt we can call him anytime to ask him for a recommendation and ctr..

The things that were crucial to me -

You have to SHARE THE BATHROOM, asked no to leave your bathing staff (so it stinks at the room) and to use the same towel. I haven't noticed that anyone cleaned the bathroom too.
and you have NO LOCKS on your door, hence no privacy in my opinion and I was uncomfortable to leave my stuff and money at the room.
Another thing - you cannot smoke at the room, Ferran was nice enough to let us smoke at the porch, but if you are a smoker you know how annoying it can be.

I think that all these things are not clearly stated at the site, but considering the fact that we made the reservation the day before we arrived, I am pretty satisfied with the B&B.

• Liked — The hospitality of the owner, location, comfortable room, quiet, internet access
  • Disliked — sharing bathroom, no smoking in rooms, no locks
  • Stayed September 2005, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Yana123